Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah was definitely a change from the first half when he was lining up on Bont at centre clearances but more shadowing him he was still effective but comparing to that 2nd half we looked so much better

That 2nd half he was still matched on Bont but he was starting on the opposite side of the circle
Backing himself in and hunting the ball it was great to see his confidence grow

It’s also positive to think about knowing not a huge amount of teams have a Bont running around (190cm plus mid) so he will become a point of difference in midfield battles
And those bigger mids have generally played very well against us . Bont , Oliver , Cripps , Fyfe .

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Also laid 5 tackles. Love him!
I thought his tackles sticking and his ability to block players to creat space for his teammates was really important . Watching the replay I noticed a couple of times when he realised others were in a better position he immediately blocked his and the teammates players to give his teammate space to work in .

Jun 16, 2020
Munted
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah was definitely a change from the first half when he was lining up on Bont at centre clearances but more shadowing him he was still effective but comparing to that 2nd half we looked so much better

That 2nd half he was still matched on Bont but he was starting on the opposite side of the circle
Backing himself in and hunting the ball it was great to see his confidence grow

It’s also positive to think about knowing not a huge amount of teams have a Bont running around (190cm plus mid) so he will become a point of difference in midfield battles
i had no idea bont played

i thought he was injured

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I dunno, really rated last night. Not quite as undermanned but it was a proper Richmond game in the end against quality opposition.
Overall i think the Port game was better.But must admit our 3rd qtr on Friday was our best qtr in this dimmasty.Keeping the ball fwd of centre for almost the entire qtr was sensational.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Watching the replay now. He does some really nice smart things in close.
He should stay in atleast until Prestia is back

Even when Prestia is back he needs to stay in. He is our cotch replacement in the guts. Our legend of a captain changed his game into a inside beast. 5 years doing the heavy lifting has bashed his body, he simply can't sustain it.

Rcd and Prestia are our inside extractors, Martin and Bolton are our outside magic. The other 2 spots we can fill in with oppo in mind.

Cotchin can pinch in for a spark but roam hbf or hff.

Rcd is a gem

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Dimma summed him up really well I thought. Some players don’t show much at VFL level but when promoted to AFL level, they just look natural.
I think Riley is one of those types, did not look overawed at all

More to the point what is expected from your role at VFL level to AFL level is completely different. I've said many times on here that RCD doesn't have issues finding his own ball at VFL level and that should translate to AFL level, its been finding the cheap ball he has struggled with that has been somewhat of an issue. Which this was still the case on Friday night. The difference being I think everyone would happily accept a 15 disposal game with 11 of those being contested, along with 5 tackles at AFL level whereas the expectation at VFL level is why didn't couldn't he find another 10 cheapies and have a potentially bigger influence. Those 10 missing touches at AFL level and being replaced by players like Edwards and Bolton finding the ball in space or winning critical contest like Bolton did against Caleb Daniel with 5 minutes to go, compared to them having to win the ball in the initial contest thus highlighting the importance of RCD's role at AFL level.

Pretty sure Scats were into RCD in draft, they overlooked him. He’ll be extra motivated next week to build on debut.

Saints were desperate to get the pick before ours so they could take him but Carlton gave the Crows a better deal for their pick (they were convinced we would draft Stocker lol, we on the other hand were super surprised RCD was still available because we had him ranked higher and gone before our pick).

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
More to the point what is expected from your role at VFL level to AFL level is completely different. I've said many times on here that RCD doesn't have issues finding his own ball at VFL level and that should translate to AFL level, its been finding the cheap ball he has struggled with that has been somewhat of an issue. Which this was still the case on Friday night. The difference being I think everyone would happily accept a 15 disposal game with 11 of those being contested, along with 5 tackles at AFL level whereas the expectation at VFL level is why didn't couldn't he find another 10 cheapies and have a potentially bigger influence. Those 10 missing touches at AFL level and being replaced by players like Edwards and Bolton finding the ball in space or winning critical contest like Bolton did against Caleb Daniel with 5 minutes to go, compared to them having to win the ball in the initial contest thus highlighting the importance of RCD's role at AFL level.
Yep. Having a bloke that can win the ball on the inside allows our stars to use it on the outside rather than being drawn into the contest.

RCD has had the benefit of some great Mentors. At one point he literally dived for a loose ball and fired off a pin-point handball. Cotchin or Edwards, he's watched them for years.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
OK. I'll watch that again then. He seemed flat as to me.
Definitely a pretty normal interview from a awkward/inexperienced interviewee who just went through an intense game of footy and won on debut... Personally by the time the post match interview comes round I know id have spent a fair bit of energy and care

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
looks to be comfort eating too

slightly fat this year
Slightly!? The bloke looks like he ate Jordan De Goey. The umpires had to be directed to not pay frees against the Dogs all night for having too many in the centre. "They haven't got an extra man in there. That's just The Bonk."

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Saints were desperate to get the pick before ours so they could take him but Carlton gave the Crows a better deal for their pick (they were convinced we would draft Stocker lol, we on the other hand were super surprised RCD was still available because we had him ranked higher and gone before our pick).

We’d tried to get further up in case the dogs overlooked Bailey Smith for a KPP. When that fell through I’d heard RCD was one of our last options before we traded back, we’ve alluded to the fact Stoker wasn’t considered for our first pick as he has no defensive intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Yeah we had trades ready for our pick.

Back