Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

rosetech

Rookie
Jun 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Currently he spends 35% of his senior games on the bench because no tank.

I'd like to see him up forward a bit. Third tall stuff, did a bit in juniors.

Yeah, no tank. Lambert will help.

Fair point he has evasiveness and quick ball to foot. Could be handy in that pos in future. Tank will be key.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond

Even the best mids in the game average 85% TOG, so he just needs to get to about 75% in 2022 and then 80%+ in 2023

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

This is absolutely what I want to see.

He's a good height to be a medium forward. Good hands and shot at goal too.

I reckon he should be tried as a forward/mid, sort of like a Jake Stringer option.

To compensate we just need guys like Ross to put on 5kg and be played as inside mids, not stuff them around out of position. Draft another couple of mids this year. Need to do this to keep guys like Dusty and Bolton forward.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
The kid is a mid thats had no chance to play the last 2 years , 2019 he was able to play good game time and looked fantastic at the level
Just give the kid games and let him develop.

I think his game time is not all about his tank but just as much the coaches seem to give kids like Dow , RCD , Martin , Hugo etc less time on the ground than established players

TiggerDK

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Has some great qualities and I really want him to progress. My main criticism is his running. He has a very ungainly running style and is not a good runner. Big part of the modern game.
I actually think his kicking looks ungainly as well, don’t think he can kick very far, although seems accurate kicking for goal. I think he needs to be at stoppages, but could be resting as a 3rd tall up forward, burst leading. Rotating with Dusty?

59Stanley

Club Legend
May 14, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
It's all about the tank for RCD this will make or break him as a player. He can kick long and his hands are good. He has a burst of speed but isn't a gazelle. I don't think we can ever rely on him chasing blokes down after a couple of efforts i see his offensive work as his strength.

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Richmond top five fastest players in 2021

Jason Castagna 35.46km/h
Liam Baker 34.74
Kamdyn McIntosh 34.13
Marlion Pickett 34.09
Riley Collier-Dawkins 33.98

33.98km/h is also the fastest Charlie Cameron clocked throughout 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Jason Castagna 35.46km/h
Liam Baker 34.74
Kamdyn McIntosh 34.13
Marlion Pickett 34.09

RCD should spend a fair chunk of the preseason training as a lead up marking half forward. At 193cm and good pace it could give him another string in his bow, and we need that sort of player. It is unlikely that he will have the gas still to run out full games as a mid, so he needs another spot on the field, like many mids.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I really badly want RCD to make it. He already has good traits with his clearance work in the middle but his tank and lack of size is letting him down right now. He’d be a good player with those two traits.

No one on our list needs a bigger preseason than this guy and I hope he smashes it.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
rcd.JPG

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Jason Castagna 35.46km/h
Liam Baker 34.74
Kamdyn McIntosh 34.13
Marlion Pickett 34.09

On his motorbike....

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets

Jason Castagna 35.46km/h
Liam Baker 34.74
Kamdyn McIntosh 34.13
Marlion Pickett 34.09

The only problem is that he needed a ventilator for the rest of the game

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Hard to assess is Riley.
The 9 games he has played have been a mixture of being played in his best role with good game time and he has fared fairly well. To being played out of position with average game time where he has been a bit meh.

On top of this two of his three seasons have been interrupted with covid.

Like most kids he has a lot to like about him and he has clear weaknesses that need work.
At age 22 in February i think it fair to say he needs to take it up a notch or two.

Clay1885

Senior List
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I think he is too , a few say Dow, he still needs to thread a game together first , some nice moves , needs to take next step now
I seem to remember a young Shane Edwards showed some nice moves and took several years to put it all together. Some players take longer to mature and I think people are way to quick to judge. With the lack of VFL the last couple of years I think the young boys need to be given more time than usual to develop. They also need to given an opportunity to play in the position they were drafted for, when physically mature enough to compete against seasoned AFL players. I personally trust our recruiting team know what they are doing. It is always a gamble but we have seen enough good signs to suggest some of the young boys will end up good players.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I think RCD and Ross have shown plenty, Dow a year behind but has show good signs. Cumberland is another that looks to have plenty of AFL attributes.

It has been difficult trying to stake a spot in a Premiership team. Reckon we are pretty well set to incorporate and eventually replace either older players or under-performing regular players with some good talent.

RCD will come in a lot fitter this year, most AFL mids don't start hitting their straps on a regular basis until they are about 22 unless they are very aerobic like Walsh and Smith. He has such good attributes namely pace and aggression that I'd be really surprised if he didn't really start making some serious impact next season. A bit of confidence and who knows, makes a massive difference in young players.

I think RCD and Ross have shown plenty, Dow a year behind but has show good signs. Cumberland is another that looks to have plenty of AFL attributes.

It has been difficult trying to stake a spot in a Premiership team. Reckon we are pretty well set to incorporate and eventually replace either older players or under-performing regular players with some good talent.

RCD will come in a lot fitter this year, most AFL mids don't start hitting their straps on a regular basis until they are about 22 unless they are very aerobic like Walsh and Smith. He has such good attributes namely pace and aggression that I'd be really surprised if he didn't really start making some serious impact next season. A bit of confidence and who knows, makes a massive difference in young players.

Agree. He certainly knows where he sits now.

He knows that he can play AFL level footy and do it well. He also knows that he not really at AFL speed and is way off on fitness. getting his timing at AFL level can be worked on. Fitness is how much he works and his natural aerobic capacity. If he can work hard he doesn't need to be elite, just AFL average. Lots of look forward to with RCD - if he works smart and hard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back