Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of reasons in my eyes. First we were playing for a spot in the eight and the match committee seemed very reluctant to leave that to the young players which is sort of understandable but a bit frustrating. Miller was a good example when Astbury went down, had the choice to play him but patched up with regulars. Then Miller was injured and Garth was eventually called up.

RCD was needed as a front-line mid but they went for players like Baker instead, which worked for a week or two. He wasn't fit enough, even I could see that off the TV, struggled to do the defensive running. Could go back to the VFL as it was over by then.

I have no doubt he will come back much fitter and stronger after a proper preseason attached to Lambert if that is what is going on. Could be very good next year, as you say he was pretty decent this year.
The way i look at it the match committee would have loved to play rcd but he just did not do enough.

They did give him games when the ladder was tight it lasted to round 17 and then they played blokes like parker dow even caddy as a sub and ross instead what does that say.

Stop making excuses for the bloke playing for a spot in the 8 had nothing to do with it, if he was good enough and contributing enough he would have played.

Geez even in the vfl on a fairly regular basis RCD had some very ordinary games..

We are all keeping him pumped up based on some good glimpses and a few good games here and there nothing more. He needs to step up big time next year and if we are all honest the club really needs him to too.

He is literally getting by on the old potential tag and im fine with that but we are at a point where he has to show he really does belong.

The concern with all this is we have few big mids on the list and we only really have RCD and Ross as juniors who fit that description and imo there is no way in the world that we should be putting all of our eggs in just that two player basket moving fwd.

The way i look at it the match committee would have loved to play rcd but he just did not do enough.

They did give him games when the ladder was tight it lasted to round 17 and then they played blokes like parker dow even caddy as a sub and ross instead what does that say.

Stop making excuses for the bloke playing for a spot in the 8 had nothing to do with it, if he was good enough and contributing enough he would have played.

Geez even in the vfl on a fairly regular basis RCD had some very ordinary games..

We are all keeping him pumped up based on some good glimpses and a few good games here and there nothing more. He needs to step up big time next year and if we are all honest the club really needs him to too.

He is literally getting by on the old potential tag and im fine with that but we are at a point where he has to show he really does belong.

The concern with all this is we have few big mids on the list and we only really have RCD and Ross as juniors who fit that description and imo there is no way in the world that we should be putting all of our eggs in just that two player basket moving fwd.

The whole "he did not do enough: argument just falls flat for me, mainly because i watched the games and saw him impact them- while others such as Castagna & Aarts kept being given games. We needed midfield clearance winners and he provided plenty of that based on his TOG. Yes, he lacked tank - but i can;t really reimagine history. How much people have forgotten just how bad our gameplan looked, as well as the terrible selection choices made along the way....the was a lot about 2021 that the selection panel, Dimma, etc got very very wrong.

Riley should have played the last 10 weeks - their decision not to was & still is a poor one.

Thought his skills were a highlight
Was involved in some great passages of play and kicked some nice goals as well

Just didn’t get the ball enough to showcase them enough
I love that when tackled, he confidently held the ball and waited for a good option to handball to. Many times he distributed well, when in a similar situation other guys would’ve been dumped in the tackle.

Half our team was missing that is why Dow and Parker got games. Plus they have to have a look at them.

RCD played:
R1 - 31 disposals.
R2 - 17 and was tagged.

R3-9 did not play

R10 - 24 disposals
R11 - 27 disposals

R12 - 15 did not play

R16 - 27 disposals.

So apart from rd2 vs Melbourne where he copped a tag but still had 8 clearances, he did not have some average games at all in the VFL. Quite the opposite.

He was not fit enough to run out AFL games, just about everyone on this site was saying so it was that obvious. The coaches sure did. Some players take longer especially when they haven't done it since they were 15 years old like many of those top draft picks who are mini professionals for years, and especially with 5 games of VFL in 2 years as your match hardening.

If he has the same problem next season, then fair enough to get the knives out. Petracca wasn't running games out until he was about 23 years old because he was a big mid who did not have the natural fitness of some others who have it naturally.

He did quite well when he played, 15 disposals and 3.3 clearances a game from pretty low game time is not to shabby for your first season. I'm quite sure if he had a bit more football behind him he would have upped that a bit.

I love that when tackled, he confidently held the ball and waited for a good option to handball to. Many times he distributed well, when in a similar situation other guys would’ve been dumped in the tackle.
It was a standout even in his final year pre draft once he really shot up
It’s fantastic that he’s been able to translate this into his game even when he's playing against bigger and stronger body’s at afl level

Half our team was missing that is why Dow and Parker got games. Plus they have to have a look at them.

RCD played:
R1 - 31 disposals.
R2 - 17 and was tagged.

R3-9 did not play

R10 - 24 disposals
R11 - 27 disposals

R12 - 15 did not play

R16 - 27 disposals.

So apart from rd2 vs Melbourne where he copped a tag but still had 8 clearances, he did not have some average games at all in the VFL. Quite the opposite.

He was not fit enough to run out AFL games, just about everyone on this site was saying so it was that obvious. The coaches sure did. Some players take longer especially when they haven't done it since they were 15 years old like many of those top draft picks who are mini professionals for years, and especially with 5 games of VFL in 2 years as your match hardening.

If he has the same problem next season, then fair enough to get the knives out. Petracca wasn't running games out until he was about 23 years old because he was a big mid who did not have the natural fitness of some others who have it naturally.

He did quite well when he played, 15 disposals and 3.3 clearances a game from pretty low game time is not to shabby for your first season. I'm quite sure if he had a bit more football behind him he would have upped that a bit.
No half our team was not missing if we are talking about mids..
An example rnd 17 was the last game he played until round 23 when we played just about all the young mids we had and rested in reality everyone else.

You may disagree but to me the core group of mids we have are the following

Prestia, Lambert, Edwards, Martin Bolton, Cotchin, Graham and McIntosh on a wing. From round 18 when RCD was last dropped to round 22 we were missing very few of our mids so no Dow Parker and co were not just thrown in they were rated higher than RCD.

Mate your making up excuses for a player who has potential but until that potential transfers into consistent high performances it remains potential.
As far as looking forward goes i in no way want the club to put all of its future stocks in BIG mids into Ross and RC-D.

Just to balance it out i am one who has pleaded we give RC-D game so we can find out where he is at and with the clearance and contested ball bashings we have copped.

Probably unlike you for me he and Ross have a season to show they are AFL PLAYERS. For 34 years i watched us grimly hang onto players with that old potential tag 4 years in they had damn well better show they can consistently perform to the level. For 34 years that was what we did instead of cutting the losses and aiming higher.

An example rnd 17 was the last game he played until round 23 when we played just about all the young mids we had and rested in reality everyone else.

Prestia, Lambert, Edwards, Martin Bolton, Cotchin, Graham and McIntosh on a wing. From round 18 when RCD was last dropped to round 22 we were missing very few of our mids so no Dow Parker and co were not just thrown in they were rated higher than RCD.

Mate your making up excuses for a player who has potential but until that potential transfers into consistent high performances it remains potential.
As far as looking forward goes i in no way want the club to put all of its future stocks in BIG mids into Ross and RC-D.

Just to balance it out i am one who has pleaded we give RC-D game so we can find out where he is at and with the clearance and contested ball bashings we have copped.

Probably unlike you for me he and Ross have a season to show they are AFL PLAYERS. For 34 years i watched us grimly hang onto players with that old potential tag 4 years in they had damn well better show they can consistently perform to the level. For 34 years that was what we did instead of cutting the losses and aiming higher.

If the club rates Parker above RCD then we have a serious problem & one we saw a plethora of times in 2021. The match Committee is rating grunt above class far, far too much

As Grrrr pointed out above, RCD rarely had a poor game at VFL level, his per game averages at senior level were also very good averaging 15 touches and 3.5 tackles and clearances per game, all with about 65% Time on Ground. That's where his biggest issue is - he needs to get up around 85%+ TOG as thats what most midfielders get - that gets him to be around 20 touches, & 5 tackles and clearances per game. Parker was on 13P, 5 tackles & 1 clearance per game at 85% TOG. And RCD is 4 years younger.

My biggest concern for 2022 is not that most of our players can bounce back - its that the coaching and selection committee will double down on the same style & type of players that clearly looked outdated by the end of the year. Based on the eye test, i can't see how anyone wouldn't think that RCD provided more to our output at senior level than Parker & Dow. I like most of our off-season moves so far, but the signing of Parker really disturbs me. How a player like Chol was made to live on our rookie list for 5 season, yet Parker has walked into a senior spot immediately really doesn't seem right to me. I'd rather have Stack back on the seniors list tbh

It mattered not who was missing when RCD was dropped, he was not running out matches and you can't have that at AFL level. It is not an excuse to say he needs a bigger tank, not all players are Jack Graham, all players have different stamina levels and his needs improving. Given that he was seen training with Lambert recently probably means he is well aware of that. That is not an excuse, it is a fact.

I doubt the club is throwing all it's weight solely behind RCD and Ross as we have a good draft hand an we will no doubt use that to gain another inside mid type player. Not that that will mean much next year because like all draftees they take a bit of time.

Personally I think RCD is going well, obviously not well enough and it is a make or break year to some extent. That can be said of most young players, and some of our more established player. I am a big fan of Ross and think he will show his worth this season. He has shown he can play very well at the level, but he has been inconsistent which is pretty normal for a young player, and it has been difficult breaking into a 3x Premiership team. The only time he looks the level is in the middle, which he has not had much opportunity to play in since his debut year. But opportunity is opening up as the older players eventually make way for the new.

If the club rates Parker above RCD then we have a serious problem & one we saw a plethora of times in 2021. The match Committee is rating grunt above class far, far too much

As Grrrr pointed out above, RCD rarely had a poor game at VFL level, his per game averages at senior level were also very good averaging 15 touches and 3.5 tackles and clearances per game, all with about 65% Time on Ground. That's where his biggest issue is - he needs to get up around 85%+ TOG as thats what most midfielders get - that gets him to be around 20 touches, & 5 tackles and clearances per game. Parker was on 13P, 5 tackles & 1 clearance per game at 85% TOG. And RCD is 4 years younger.

My biggest concern for 2022 is not that most of our players can bounce back - its that the coaching and selection committee will double down on the same style & type of players that clearly looked outdated by the end of the year. Based on the eye test, i can't see how anyone wouldn't think that RCD provided more to our output at senior level than Parker & Dow. I like most of our off-season moves so far, but the signing of Parker really disturbs me. How a player like Chol was made to live on our rookie list for 5 season, yet Parker has walked into a senior spot immediately really doesn't seem right to me. I'd rather have Stack back on the seniors list tbh
I think the thing with Parker is that they got him over mid season with the likely assurance that he would be given another year to show his worth. I don't see a one year contract on the main list as a real problem. He is not the worst player on our list. Stack will be promoted at the end of the year with a hefty contract I'm willing to bet, so this year for him is just a year to consolidate himself in the system and the team.

Parker is not on the senior list, he is on the rookie list. He received a one year extension, not a promotion.

As for Stack, he was picked up in the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) which is part of the rookie list. He also has never been on our senior list. I think that Stack will have to be promoted to the senior list at years end as this will be his 4th year as a rookie. Parker can be left on the rookie list for another 2 years before having to be either promoted or delisted.

The whole "he did not do enough: argument just falls flat for me, mainly because i watched the games and saw him impact them- while others such as Castagna & Aarts kept being given games. We needed midfield clearance winners and he provided plenty of that based on his TOG. Yes, he lacked tank - but i can;t really reimagine history. How much people have forgotten just how bad our gameplan looked, as well as the terrible selection choices made along the way....the was a lot about 2021 that the selection panel, Dimma, etc got very very wrong.

Riley should have played the last 10 weeks - their decision not to was & still is a poor one.

Interesting trade and draft period the amount of people upset but the tigers mid group and future midfield

Interesting trade and draft period the amount of people upset but the tigers mid group and future midfield

You'd guess from what went down that the club is backing RCD, Dow and Ross in capable AFL grade mids. Hope so. I reckon they do have the talent between them to be fairly good - maybe better than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know if it looks like RCD has got a tank yet?
tank GIF

Had high hopes for this guy, has a lot more upside than someone like Ross or Martyn, but they seem ahead in the pecking order.
Did you catch the coaches corner about him the other week on the clubs website?

His last month or so of the pre season was extremely limited, caught covid and also had to isolate on a separate occasion plus copped a knock in the match sim about a week ago

Club still extremely bullish and expect him to be in the mix for the season

Did you catch the coaches corner about him the other week on the clubs website?

His last month or so of the pre season was extremely limited, caught covid and also had to isolate on a separate occasion plus copped a knock in the match sim about a week ago

Club still extremely bullish and expect him to be in the mix for the season
He did a lot of work on improving his fitness and came back to preseason in really good shape. Covid hit him at the worst possible time unfortunately, so now he's got a bit more work to do again.

Had high hopes for this guy, has a lot more upside than someone like Ross or Martyn, but they seem ahead in the pecking order.
Martyn played before RCD because RCD needed a full hit out, and Martyn was just a bit player on the weekend. No point using RCD like that. Ross is ahead at the moment mainly because he is also playing as a wingman. RCD doesn't have another position really, is not needed up forward or back so will probably have to wait until an injury to the big 3 in there. At least he has the VFL to keep fit this season.

Still bullish about RCD. The first quarter of the intra club match they played a few weeks back he absolutely tore it to shreds. Kicked two in the quarter and was everywhere.

Slowly showing he knows his way around stoppages and that will be a big bonus for blokes like Cotch and Prestia when the inevitably have a week off here and there.

Important part of any chance of success to us year. Depth.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him selected in round 1.

Early days

Imo has both those covered. I know there’s plenty that think Ross going to be the better of the 2, but think once RCD establishes himself and gains that confidence of belonging at the top level, he’ll be a clearance machine.

Early days

Imo has both those covered. I know there’s plenty that think Ross going to be the better of the 2, but think once RCD establishes himself and gains that confidence of belonging at the top level, he’ll be a clearance machine.

Honestly think Ross, RCD and Martyn have no chance. Sonsie looks better than the lot already… Dow probably the only other one close. Just look at the improvement of Ralphsmith and then you can say there is absolutely no excuse for RCD. He doesn’t have what it takes, time to move on. I mean how ******* hard is it to build a tank when it’s your ******* job. Hopeless if you ask me.

… I know a regular Joe with no athletic ability who just ran a 101km marathon and can’t walk today. Seriously these AFL players that can’t work hard don’t deserve a second look.

Honestly think Ross, RCD and Martyn have no chance. Sonsie looks better than the lot already… Dow probably the only other one close. Just look at the improvement of Ralphsmith and then you can say there is absolutely no excuse for RCD. He doesn’t have what it takes, time to move on. I mean how ******* hard is it to build a tank when it’s your ******* job. Hopeless if you ask me.

… I know a regular Joe with no athletic ability who just ran a 101km marathon and can’t walk today. Seriously these AFL players that can’t work hard don’t deserve a second look.
Fair enough we all see it differently and I think there’s probably a fair percentage of supporters that would agree with you.

I really liked how RCD impacted clearances in a couple of games last year at the top level. Yep it’s been a slow burn and I get why that’s frustrated some supporters, but those that count ( coaches) haven’t lost the faith .

I’m backing him all the way reckon he’ll be a permanent fixture in our midfield by seasons end

Agreed re Sonsie looks the good’s

Thank god someone else who can see the truth about RCD. Ralphsmith has built a tank and gone straight past him in the pecking order. By years end another couple of youngsters will also. He's on the list but I'm sick of excuses for this bloke.

For those that believe he'll be a good player, how long will it take? How many games does he need to play? Does he have to lock in a permanent position in the team by years end and if he doesn't do we use the excuse of a poor engine and give him another season? The protection and excuses for this bloke are over the top. It's time for him to grab his chance or be sent packing. He's a laconic footballer who does not show enough desperation to build an elite engine required to make the jump to senior quality. I think your 100% correct in stating as a full time professional it is an indictment on him to not have an elite tank by now.

Unless there is a massive improvement by years end RCD, Ross and Martin should be delisted and others youngsters given a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back