#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Remove this Banner Ad

d33my said:
Is he any relation to Wayne Weideman (former Crows and Burnie Dockers player?)
Cult hero if there ever was one.

db7095ba-6796-4622-b12b-45bf33910cdb.jpg

As mentioned earlier his Grandfather is a great bloke, tried to get the rules changed (while having his tongue in cheek) to get the Weed to the Pies. His Dad was also a Pies player with promise but cut down due to a (knee?) injury if I recall correctly

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Weideman

He comes from good stock, Murray would be shattered. ;)

And probably most importantly, he was doing it for the AFL Academy against VFL teams featuring AFL players ... not just picking on kids not as developed as he is. I'm really happy to have him. I'm assuming his medical was good, or else we probably would have passed on him, so I'd be expecting him to make some pretty significant strides in both his fitness, and his strength over the next few months (have a look at how broad his shoulders are, plenty of scope to stack a tonne of muscle onto them) ... I definitely think we'll see him at some stage this season.

You guys are talking me around. I'm happy with Oliver, delighted with King at 42, wait and see about Hulett, but still not sure about Weideman.

Can't see him getting a crack next season unfortunately unless injuries to Pedo, Frost and Dawes happen.

2017 maybe the year Jesse and Sam start their double trouble up forward

Can't see him getting a crack next season unfortunately unless injuries to Pedo, Frost and Dawes happen.

2017 maybe the year Jesse and Sam start their double trouble up forward
Don't mind that though. 12 months at VFL level isn't a bad thing.

Not everyone can be Hulk.

As mentioned earlier his Grandfather is a great bloke, tried to get the rules changed (while having his tongue in cheek) to get the Weed to the Pies. His Dad was also a Pies player with promise but cut down due to a (knee?) injury if I recall correctly

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Weideman

He comes from good stock, Murray would be shattered. ;)

Shattered that he fell to the Dee's specifically or because he didn't make it to the Pies? He was never going to slide to Collingwood.

Demons fan I have a question, do you think MFC would have recruited Charlie Curnow if he had not got arrested a week before instead of Sam Weideman?

I was hearing that Charlie was first preference but his arrest put doubts in Paul Roos mind

Demons fan I have a question, do you think MFC would have recruited Charlie Curnow if he had not got arrested a week before instead of Sam Weideman?

I was hearing that Charlie was first preference
Anything is possible.

Weideman did say in his interview though that Melbourne had kept close contact with him and his family and that he had a great relationship with our recruiters.

Anything is possible.

Weideman did say in his interview though that Melbourne had kept close contact with him and his family and that he had a great relationship with our recruiters.

Demons also kept in close contact with Parish and few other players including Curnow

Think Demons last week were slightly favouring Curnow but after his arrest took Weideman as thought even or just behind Curnow

Shattered that he fell to the Dee's specifically or because he didn't make it to the Pies? He was never going to slide to Collingwood.

I think after two generations and what would have been the third consecutive generation, it was because he didn't make it to the Pies.

Although from all reports Murray really went out of his way to take on Barassi in '58 and succeeded! ;)

Sam will be a pretty handy forward. Great set shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think after two generations and what would have been the third consecutive generation, it was because he didn't make it to the Pies.

Although from all reports he really went out of his way to take on Barassi in '58! ;)

Too bad there isn't a Grandfather/Grandson rule, think Sam will be a very handy forward. One of the best set shots going around too.
Yes, I've heard a bit about Weid and Harrison? Barassi and co spent the rest of the game chasing them around the park looking for revenge instead of focusing on the game.

Sam has his own future to map out now. I think he'll be happy at Melbourne as long as we keep improving. Our culture is building too. Can't put a price on a good set shot.

Demons also kept in close contact with Parish and few other players including Curnow

Think Demons last week were slightly favouring Curnow but after his arrest took Weideman as thought even or just behind Curnow

Trying to get confirmation that Curnow is > than Weideman? I don't think there was ever confirmation that the Dees would take Curnow before Weideman. Pretty sure the club was considering the Weed at pick 3 but took the risk of letting him slide to our second pick in order to land Oliver.

We'll never get an answer ... but I doubt it was ever a case of which one was better as they aren't identical types. Weideman is a genuine key forward, where as Curnow is more of a tweener with scope to move into the midfield. I would assume that if we were deadset on getting Curnow from the respect of his "type," we still would have gone for him ...

Although from all reports Murray really went out of his way to take on Barassi in '58 and succeeded! ;)

Sam will be a pretty handy forward. Great set shot.
I was thinking about the same thing one of the greatest upsets in afl/vfl grand final history (not that I was around to experience it) Hopefully this Weideman can achieve greatness FOR the Dees.

Yes, I've heard a bit about Weid and Harrison? Barassi and co spent the rest of the game chasing them around the park looking for revenge instead of focusing on the game.

Sam has his own future to map out now. I think he'll be happy at Melbourne as long as we keep improving. Our culture is building too. Can't put a price on a good set shot.

Before my era but the from I've been told, yes.

Sam said during the year he wants to follow his own path. I'm sure he will.

I was thinking about the same thing one of the greatest upsets in afl/vfl grand final history (not that I was around to experience it) Hopefully this Weideman can achieve greatness FOR the Dees.
Would love the pain it would cause to old Pies fans.

Sam said during the year he wants to follow his own path. I'm sure he will.
He says in his highlight package that he went against the family heritage and adopted the Tigers to support. He's a Dee now.

Looks to have a good set of hands, competent below the knee's and doesn't look phased by physical contact.

I don't think we'll see much of him in the AFL this year, which is fine.

Yep only clubs that have more premierships are Carlton essendon Collingwood and now Hawthorn. Richmond is on 10 but that's no worry.
Why hawthorn! it's all we had and you took 4th spot away from us! in 50 years you've chased us down and over taken us!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back