Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Agree that wing is not the answer.

He’s a tall forward with a big tank - get him involved up the field and back into the fifty.

He does need to simplify his game a little, get back to basics

But if you are planning to play Weid as the 2nd ruck them him and Hogan are both leading on the wing. If there is a stoppage on the wing where are they positioned?
Gawn rucks. Tmac deep.

So you have both Hogan and Weid within 70m of each other? If Tmac is at 30m from goal and Weid is 50m from goal then Hogan is standing too close to the contest to be a marking option and therefore becomes a mid. I just don't see how this makes us more dangerous.

In the eras previous when you used the whole ground the roaming CHF was fine, in the era when everyone stands within 80m of the ball then 3 is too many for me as one is not getting involved in the air and won't contribute as much on the ground.

With the 666 next year after every goal we will either have a 3 man tall forward line which is too tall for a clearance or we have one of them standing on the wing and they will lose their man in transition. Plus Hogan vs Isaac Smith can't work out well for us.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I personally am in the we don't need to make a decision this year camp. Liking the look of Weideman, and realistically I think 3 talls can work, but the 3 talls need to play their roles perfectly and we need to get smarter going inside 50 to use them properly.

Not sure we can do that but believe we can take one more year to try it. Three talls if played well can stretch the opposition defence.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
With Hogan now officially gone, we need to turn our attention to the weed. Sam's finals form would no doubt have caught the eye of coaches across the comp, and probably none more so than nathan buckley and the pies.

Hoping we can sign him up for another 3-4 years prior to rd 1 next year. We need to back him in to continue his recent good form and become a gun forward alongside TMac, cause we cannot afford to lose another one this time next year.

Absolutely no way he leaves. He won't renew yet because he still isn't worth much, but would expect a mid-season signing once he's established some form like Gus.

Absolutely no way he leaves. He won't renew yet because he still isn't worth much, but would expect a mid-season signing once he's established some form like Gus.
Yep. Pretty obvious his spot is cemented in side. His currency is only going to rise.

Yeah the only way his contract value with us goes down next year is if he gets significantly injured. He should kick 30-40 goals at least, and the amount he’s offered will rocket up if so

Yeah the only way his contract value with us goes down next year is if he gets significantly injured. He should kick 30-40 goals at least, and the amount he’s offered will rocket up if so
What’s he worth if he kicks 30-40 goals?

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s a KPF’s market these days so I wouldn’t rule anything out. Gut feel says he seems like the loyal type and will extend contracts without too much fuss, but who knows.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
I dont think he would leave for the pies, the kid will form his own reputation and feel he is loyal, with hogan gone i think he knows how much faith the coaching staff have in him

I think he will kick 40 next year.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I'm fairly certain he's been on record as saying he was a Richmond supporter growing up anyway ... So if he didn't actually support the club his father and grandfather played for, it seems unlikely he'd feel any particular pull to jump ship over to them.

Particularly since the club has put a fair amount of faith in him by trading Hogan away.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Excited to see what Weideman will produce next season. I thought his form since he came back into the side in round 22 was really encouraging. Backing him to have an impact for most of next season.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Can't wait for Weed to under perform next season and the board turn on him
dreading that.

I don't know if anyone is forgetting but he just hasn't played many AFL games. He played well in the elim and semi finals, but it wasn't long before that a fair few people were questioning whether he would make it.

I love the Weed on general principles, but people should be wary of placing too many eggs in a Weed basket at this stage.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
dreading that.

I don't know if anyone is forgetting but he just hasn't played many AFL games. He played well in the elim and semi finals, but it wasn't long before that a fair few people were questioning whether he would make it.

I love the Weed on general principles, but people should be wary of placing too many eggs in a Weed basket at this stage.

Don't think anyone has super unrealistic expectations on him - if he can kick 30+ I'd be stoked. TMac should go close to 60 goals next year if he stays fit anyway, Weid doesn't have to kick a bag.

dreading that.

A weed basket is no place for too many eggs, although MFC seems comfortable with flaunting weed basket conventions. We’ll see how it goes for us. I hope better than for the last poor fool who defied weed basket norms.

Don't think anyone has super unrealistic expectations on him - if he can kick 30+ I'd be stoked. TMac should go close to 60 goals next year if he stays fit anyway, Weid doesn't have to kick a bag.
Despite my last post advising against exceeding well known weed basket egg capacity guidelines, I personally expect weed to kick 35+ barring injury. Less than 30 would feel a bit disappointing to me. 40+ would be exciting.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Can't wait for Weed to under perform next season.
Me either, can't wait to rip into the young lad.

Less than 3 goals a game average and he'll have deserved any and all vitriol aimed at him.[/QUOTE]

Back