#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Remove this Banner Ad

to add to this discussion richmond have never played with just one key forward over the last year and a bit, Caddy plays the second tall role for them even if he is undersized

We have Petracca and/or Melksham who can play that role.

Though not as well as Caddy he's become a gun

It’s not really our style but a reason I hope we don’t pick Preuss is because I’d like to see us try emulate 2017 Adelaide by using our intercept marking and rebound from the likes of May, Lever, Frost, Hibberd, Kolodjashnij etc. to hit up a roaming CHF on the wings who can then deliver the ball into a free inside fifty with hard running mids and forwards like Melksham, Nibbler, Hannan, Spargo, Brayshaw, Oliver etc. occupying the acres of space in behind and using their pace to burn defenders who are rushing back to fill the space.

Obviously losing Jesse hurts this style as he is the perfect CHF for this role with his kicking ability and work rate, but regardless I think TMac with his mobility can easily fill this Tex Walker/Nick Riewoldt type role as the receiver from an intercept possession. season GWS. Stretch breaking through would help us a lot too as he could definitely be a handball receiver target from that CHF like a Lambert/Edwards/Short with his run+ carry and his delivery inside 50 is good too. I’d love us to make our intercept marking and counterattacks an even bigger weapon of our game, as they are really important strategy against a team like Collingwood who we can’t always beat in the midfield battle.

One thing Jesse did bring that Weed probably can’t is that gut run from the wing to full forward off a counter attack to get a mismatch against a smaller opponent. It’s going to be interesting seeing how we use Weideman in a larger role next year given TMac plays so well close to goal too. I personally think he’s got to play 40 minutes+ in the ruck whenever Maxy rests and try and use his frame and tackling to emulate what Shane Mumford did for the Giants at ground level, and also be that target from kickouts and really bring the ball to ground at every opportunity. Nothing groundbreaking here and again he’s already played these roles before but I really would like Weed to make those finals performances the norm. He just didn’t have the legs by finals and against West Coast they absolutely ran him ragged by making him always occupy Vardy/Lycett.

Goals won’t matter too much for Weed with the goalkicking abilities of our mids so I only expect 25 from him in that department, but if he could get 200 hit outs, lay 75 tackles and take 25+ contested marks that’s a highly successful season even if he doesn’t kick a goal a game. If Weed can do that I don’t think we need to pick Preuss which would make our play a lot more free flowing.

to add to this discussion richmond have never played with just one key forward over the last year and a bit, Caddy plays the second tall role for them even if he is undersized

Caddy is a key forward now??

Caddy is a key forward now??
Some kind of rule that I’ve never quite understood. If you have an undersized forwardline you can call a random player of your choosing (so long as he is also your second highest goal scorer) a key forward.

It’s all relative I guess. If the seven dwarves become a footy team then Snow White could legitimately be described as a ruck.

I thought he'd explode early this season and continue his form from the finals. Nope. Doesn't help he has dumb footballers bombing it to him with 5 defenders on him as well as a dumb plan by our coaches moving the ball forward. Still sitting on the fence with him. Coukd go either way. He could become a decent forward who kicks 40, or he could be a bust. Don't get me started on TMac who I bet on for the Coleman. He now has the best defender every week and clearly can't handle it. Looks frustrated and totally unconvincing.

I thought he'd explode early this season and continue his form from the finals. Nope. Doesn't help he has dumb footballers bombing it to him with 5 defenders on him as well as a dumb plan by our coaches moving the ball forward. Still sitting on the fence with him. Coukd go either way. He could become a decent forward who kicks 40, or he could be a bust. Don't get me started on TMac who I bet on for the Coleman. He now has the best defender every week and clearly can't handle it. Looks frustrated and totally unconvincing.

How many times does this need to be corrected? Hogan didn't play the last 5 weeks an McDonald starred. Plus Hogan didn't take the best defender, he worked up the ground and left Tmac deep.

Stop melting in every thread, it was pissing rain last night. Every key forward struggled

I'm reserving judgement on weid at this stage, with our game plan you'd have to be lockett, franklin and dunstall combined to make a decent go of it as a key forward.

He seems to keep working hard but is always out numbered and the kicks are most certainly not to our forwards advantage.

I warned you all last year, no doubt he played well at the back end of last year. But he's still a baby in the AFL system. I knew two games in you'd all turn on him just as quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm reserving judgement on weid at this stage, with our game plan you'd have to be lockett, franklin and dunstall combined to make a decent go of it as a key forward.

He seems to keep working hard but is always out numbered and the kicks are most certainly not to our forwards advantage.
To be fair Lockett & Dunstall would lead only to have Brayshaw roost it over their heads.

I warned you all last year, no doubt he played well at the back end of last year. But he's still a baby in the AFL system. I knew two games in you'd all turn on him just as quick

Errr, what?

Half time against the Tigers. I've counted three times Weed has beaten his man in the contest and gotten two hands to the ball with no opposition interference only for the ball to ricochet off.

It's a trend which has been evident since last year with the three final games being the exception.

So frustrating, he needs to fix this.

Half time against the Tigers. I've counted three times Weed has beaten his man in the contest and gotten two hands to the ball with no opposition interference only for the ball to ricochet off.

It's a trend which has been evident since last year with the three final games being the exception.

So frustrating, he needs to fix this.
I'm still not sure if he is any good or not? Would help with better movement forward and better structure.

Looking a bit like the Dawes at the moment, gets to the right spots often enough but can't clunk it and is 99% of the time useless once it hits the deck. He and Smith seemed to run to the same spot way too often tonight too. Need to sort out leading patterns to help everyone out.
Would help if we had a forward coach who knew wtf they were doing..

Looking a bit like the Dawes at the moment, gets to the right spots often enough but can't clunk it and is 99% of the time useless once it hits the deck. He and Smith seemed to run to the same spot way too often tonight too. Need to sort out leading patterns to help everyone out.

The whole forward line is dysfunctional, hopefully he plays better once they work out what they are doing down there.

its either weid spoiling Smith, or its smith spoiling weid, or its gawn spoiling weid, or weid spoiling gawn. well you get the picture, our forward set ups suck. lets hope the coaches finally see it too.

Dawes ran under the flight more than any player I've ever seen, so Weedy Man is still doing better than him whilst being diabolical.

Should be dropped, though.

Im calling it now, Weid will seek a trade to either Collingwood or Sydney at years' end. Currently toiling away in the VFL while 28yr old "honest tryer" Tim Smith gets a senior game. This coupled with the rumour that Sam's manager has posed a ludicrously high contract demand with the club means Sam and the dees are probably not seeing eye to eye at the moment.

To me this is a damn shame as post the hawthorn final last year i would have had Sam as our most important re-signing heading into 2019.

Would be a sour footnote to a bad year for the club

Im calling it now, Weid will seek a trade to either Collingwood or Sydney at years' end. Currently toiling away in the VFL while 28yr old "honest tryer" Tim Smith gets a senior game. This coupled with the rumour that Sam's manager has posed a ludicrously high contract demand with the club means Sam and the dees are probably not seeing eye to eye at the moment.

To me this is a damn shame as post the hawthorn final last year i would have had Sam as our most important re-signing heading into 2019.

Would be a sour footnote to a bad year for the club
He has had a few years now in the system. If he was going to be a gun why isn’t he dominating at VFL level? He just doesn’t look mobile enough to me, and I haven’t seen a game yet where he has marked the ball cleanly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back