#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Fellas we can all have our disagreements, that's what debating is all about. All we ask is that you treat each other civilly when discussing things. So i have to ask that we drop this conversation and move on Crusty Demon Topkent thanks

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Better posters? By calling everyone he doesnt agree with a peanut? Or saying rubbish to everything he doesnt agree with? Thats not a good poster mate. Number of posts doesn't make him one of the better posters. His ******** has sent several posters away from this forum and they only go on the main board now or have disappeared onto another site altogether. So i guess they are sooks as well hey?

Old mate dez is everything you’ve described TK as, not sure why we’re bemoaning his loss.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think sometimes we forget just how young and inexperienced this kid is . I am happy this is (contract) sorted and he can now concentrate on developing into the player i think he can be for us . ATM he still is in the potential stage of his career, and i would prefer he doesn't do ruck duties just yet , but so be it. I can't imagine the sort of pressure all these young players are under , what with social media as it is , and the expectation to perform week after week , especially in a team like us that is as shitty as we are in delivering to ball to our forwards. Doesn't help that T-Mac is also not performing up to his standard of last season.

This board has become so s**t lol

It's either ideological/political arguments or people saying "good clubs do X, we should do X, but we won't because we're Melbourne lol'

Crivens, steady on. I nearly responded to your post similarly earlier because I doubt the club is waiting for a player to have a bad game or come up short at a pivotal moment so they can lowball them with a contract offer. Weid's contract value would have been based on his potential, his form this season and maybe some external interest from other clubs, so that kick he missed wouldn't have mattered so much as the fact he was dropped for 2/3 of the games this year. Pretty sure that's what Topkent meant by "rubbish".
Weideman was dropped for four games, so closer to 1/3.
TK is one of the better posters on here mate. Stop sooking that your post was rightfully called out for the hyperbole that it was.
I disrespectfully agree.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I can see what CD was trying to say, although I disagree. If Weid kicks that goal externally he is seen as a match winner and his “value” goes up. In all likeliness the terms to his contract were agreed upon before that game. And there is zero chance the power brokers sit down with him and say “well because you missed that goal we are now paying you X amount less” or the that this conversation is even had with weid present.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
This board has become so **** lol

It's either ideological/political arguments or people saying "good clubs do X, we should do X, but we won't because we're Melbourne lol'
Not true. I also post inane s**t about what I am planning to eat. Plus I announce when I’m drunk and sometimes even when I’m intending to be drunk.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He seems to have quite poor agility, and I don’t see him winning many 1:1s yet - hopefully this improves with his strength over the next few years.

He needs to work on hitting packs and bringing the ball to ground (or even marking it).

His strengths are a nice kicking action and his ability to hit the ball at a very high point.

I think we need another quality young midfielder, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if we took a tall forward in the next draft.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
He seems to have quite poor agility, and I don’t see him winning many 1:1s yet - hopefully this improves with his strength over the next few years.

He needs to work on hitting packs and bringing the ball to ground (or even marking it).

His strengths are a nice kicking action and his ability to hit the ball at a very high point.

I think we need another quality young midfielder, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if we took a tall forward in the next draft.
I think he has a couple of hidden strengths you haven't listed. He's good by hand, decent hand balling ability and good decision making. He is also deceptively quick. He's not Hunt chasing guys down, but he moves quicker than people realise. Decent speed. Also, while not consistent with it yet, he has shown the ability and instinct for some pretty fierce defensive tackling.

I agree that hitting packs power forward style isn't his thing as yet. He often seems to play forward as though he is an intercept defender - steals goals by crossing line and pinching them.

I like him though. He seems lovely. Weed, Tmac and Omac win the prizes for the nicest afl players to talk to that I have come across. So while our forward line is a bit s**t currently, it is easily the nicest which is something. And Oscar is super nice and we should play him on that basis alone.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think he has a couple of hidden strengths you haven't listed. He's good by hand, decent hand balling ability and good decision making. He is also deceptively quick. He's not Hunt chasing guys down, but he moves quicker than people realise. Decent speed. Also, while not consistent with it yet, he has shown the ability and instinct for some pretty fierce defensive tackling.

I agree that hitting packs power forward style isn't his thing as yet. He often seems to play forward as though he is an intercept defender - steals goals by crossing line and pinching them.

I like him though. He seems lovely. Weed, Tmac and Omac win the prizes for the nicest afl players to talk to that I have come across. So while our forward line is a bit **** currently, it is easily the nicest which is something. And Oscar is super nice and we should play him on that basis alone.

#nodickheads

I'm still watching the iq'd replay right now but I just wanted to give a shout-out, when Weid went back with the flight of the ball and got straight up and took his kick after getting smashed that's ******* tough key forward football my man.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Some serious strides have been taken by Weid. He wants it and is taking his chance. ******* awesome to see. Massive props. ♥👍

I'm still watching the iq'd replay right now but I just wanted to give a shout-out, when Weid went back with the flight of the ball and got straight up and took his kick after getting smashed that's ******* tough key forward football my man.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Some serious strides have been taken by Weid. He wants it and is taking his chance. ******* awesome to see. Massive props.
He has improved the teams performance a hell of a lot over the last 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Brings a tear to my eye.

Some serious strides have been taken by Weid. He wants it and is taking his chance. ******* awesome to see. Massive props. ♥👍
Has been excellent. Love the way he's crashing the packs. TMac wasn't doing that and tbh, he's not that type of player. Weid flies for his grabs and contests hard. Rarely gets beaten which is important because then it's at worst a 50/50 ball when it hits the ground. We are one of the better teams at getting the ball forward, we just need to lower the eyes a bit(like we have last couple of weeks) and he should get on the end of a few. I still think there is room for TMac, maybe more as a flanker/winger type who can drift forward or back.

Absolutely loved that contest he made on the wing where he won the free kick when he got crunched and bounced up and hit a player lace out. Brilliant stuff. Dad and I both got out of our seats when that happened. Good signs from the young guy. Needs to show consistency now. Will have it tough against Harris Andrews next week. Big test...

Dad and I both got out of our seats when that happened.

Great to hear I wasn't the only one who had this sort of reaction, was ******* inspiring play.

After playing the T2 pinball machine all afternoon , I reckon the T2 theme music going over that particular play would be most fitting. Weid was Arnie as the T-800 for a moment in time right there, indestructible.

Has been excellent. Love the way he's crashing the packs. TMac wasn't doing that and tbh, he's not that type of player. Weid flies for his grabs and contests hard. Rarely gets beaten which is important because then it's at worst a 50/50 ball when it hits the ground. We are one of the better teams at getting the ball forward, we just need to lower the eyes a bit(like we have last couple of weeks) and he should get on the end of a few. I still think there is room for TMac, maybe more as a flanker/winger type who can drift forward or back.

Absolutely loved that contest he made on the wing where he won the free kick when he got crunched and bounced up and hit a player lace out. Brilliant stuff. Dad and I both got out of our seats when that happened. Good signs from the young guy. Needs to show consistency now. Will have it tough against Harris Andrews next week. Big test...
TMac definitely has a role in the side, just not as a lead up forward. General utility role as high half forward or on the wing or on ball/in the ruck if we need to rest Gawn with a compressed schedule.

Shots at goal were a bit iffy, but otherwise excellent game. Crashes packs really well and doesn't let the opposition take intercept marks which is great. Pickett, Bennell etc. Can feed off him well.
Loved him giving Jackson the goal too. Seems like a good team player. Wholesome.

Back