#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Literally never happened before
Nah it happens, just privately. Weid will be on the market. Clubs will say to Weid’s manager what they will offer in contract, trade and scenario terms; Weid’s manager then goes to Melbourne on the trade terms. Club sets a price based on the market and suggests who they will do a deal with.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Nah it happens, just privately. Weid will be on the market. Clubs will say to Weid’s manager what they will offer in contract, trade and scenario terms; Weid’s manager then goes to Melbourne on the trade terms. Club sets a price based on the market and suggests who they will do a deal with.
Weid will pick a club and we will get whatever the * they have in draft picks which is often not enough. There's no draft bidding war.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

Add the variable that managers make s**t up to inflate their client’s ‘market rate’. A lot of smoke and mirrors in this business. If you’re in a commanding position in terms of having a side in the top four with decent premiership aspirations (which we are) you’d just ignore the noise, table a fair offer that fits in with your salary cap plans, then let the player decide if he wants to risk going to a s**t club for a few extra dollars and better job security.

cougar000

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
In a house
AFL Club
Melbourne
If he requested a trade hope not Collingwood they have nothing to offer in my opinion. wouldn‘t be disappointed if Sydney came hard I’d take Oliver Florent for him he be alright on the other wing. But really want him to stay.

Oceanlabxo

Debutant
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
collingwood have nothing to offer with everything they DO have going to try and get their father son pick next year. If weid wanted to go to collingwood we'd get a bag of potato chips and a 2028 3rd rounder at their current rate

Weid will be on the market.
Why do you think that? All evidence at the moment is that TMac is in good form but has no real job security. If he has a quiet game, he'll be out. Same with Brown once he finds his feet. Weideman will get a chance, just needs to keep playing well at VFL level.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Why do you think that? All evidence at the moment is that TMac is in good form but has no real job security. If he has a quiet game, he'll be out. Same with Brown once he finds his feet. Weideman will get a chance, just needs to keep playing well at VFL level.

Yep, Tmac concerns me!

I can see it now, we trade Weid off the back of a Tom McDonald master season only for 2020 version Tmac turning up in 2022.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It is nice having depth for the KPF posts though! Remember when Brad Miller was our #1 target?

Weid comes straight in if one of Brown/Slick/Tmac are unavailable or dropped. IMO Jackson should always be playing if fit, it works so well being able to free up Gawn around the ground.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can expect the media to speculate on Weideman while he remains out of contract . I wonder if we have offered him a contract or what the situation is .

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yep, Tmac concerns me!

I can see it now, we trade Weid off the back of a Tom McDonald master season only for 2020 version Tmac turning up in 2022.
Lol so McDonald's had 2.5 really good seasons as a forward and Weid has had 2 finals games yet Mcdonald is the one more likely to get crap?

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lol so McDonald's had 2.5 really good seasons as a forward and Weid has had 2 finals games yet Mcdonald is the one more likely to get crap?

A poster on Demonland said we’d be mad to let Weid go when “he’s on the verge of becoming an A grader”. Honestly, what have we seen from Weid in 50 games at senior level that has elevated him above C grade let alone B grade? He’s kicking goals at Casey which is great. In the ones he’s shown little more than glimpses to date. Even in those finals games a few of them fell fortuitously into his lap.

Last edited:

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
A poster on Demonland said we’d be mad to let Weid go when “he’s on the verge of becoming an A grader”. Honestly, what have we seen from Weid in 50 games at senior level that has elevated him above C grade let alone B grade? He’s kicking goals at Casey which is great. In the ones he’s shown little more than glimpses to date. Even in those finals games a few of them fortuitously fell into his lap.
******* lol

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
people forgetting weid is out of contract we could end up with * all. cant hold him to * all so hopefully we sign him up. not going to be injury free all year nor will we be in years to come. TMac basically plays as a half forward/winger anyway. They all play different we can fit them all in. west Coast play with 2 rucks and 3 big forwards. gawn/Jackson cover the ground better than their rucks Brown is the Kennedy sort * knows if browns massive gps numbers are from his 100m a run up as I've never seen him live. Weid and TMac cover the ground better than Allen and Darling.

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
If I had the option to stay with a club that was in contention for a flag or get more playing time at a cellar dweller club, I know what I would choose.
He'll be back in the team for any player form slumps or injuries.
Weid's manager is just trying to get a better deal for him at Melbourne, can't blame him for trying.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If I had the option to stay with a club that was in contention for a flag or get more playing time at a cellar dweller club, I know what I would choose.
He'll be back in the team for any player form slumps or injuries.
Weid's manager is just trying to get a better deal for him at Melbourne, can't blame him for trying.

Nah every kids dream is to play AFL, not watch a premiership from the bench.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Nah every kids dream is to play AFL, not watch a premiership from the bench.
I was a kid and I didn’t dream of playing AFL.

I realise this is totally irrelevant but am feeling argumentative all of a sudden

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Is he close mates with anyone at the club? How does he fit in? I reckon this list has similar vibes to the Cats list a decade or so ago that were all close and wanted to stay together for a better chance of success.

Back