#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Fine then you dreamed of being a terrible umpire on the field instead of the emergency
No that didn’t happen either.

Im immediately sorry I brought this up, are you prepared to move on looking forward rather than back? Cos that would be ace

I was a kid and I didn’t dream of playing AFL.

I realise this is totally irrelevant but am feeling argumentative all of a sudden
Turps kicking in?

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Lol so McDonald's had 2.5 really good seasons as a forward and Weid has had 2 finals games yet Mcdonald is the one more likely to get crap?
His 2.5 good years was 2 years ago, played a few good games to start the season but if he falls off a cliff next year then he is done at 30. We have spent years developing Weid who looks much stronger and to have worked on his kicking, if we don’t win a flag in the next 2 years then Tom won’t be part of it but Weid could be. I’m not saying Tom doesn’t have the runs on the board but the last two years he was horrible.

His 2.5 good years was 2 years ago, played a few good games to start the season but if he falls off a cliff next year then he is done at 30. We have spent years developing Weid who looks much stronger and to have worked on his kicking, if we don’t win a flag in the next 2 years then Tom won’t be part of it but Weid could be. I’m not saying Tom doesn’t have the runs on the board but the last two years he was horrible.
Not like he was exactly great pre-18 either.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Yeah I can okay the what if game aswell, what if Tmac ends up playing at this level for 4 more years?
How many good seasons has Weid put together btw?

This is the closest we've looked to a flag in for ever, right now Tmac is the man

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fact is we have two older guys who may get injured taking the prime positions currently so need Weid stashed away for medicinal purposes when needed.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Yeah I can okay the what if game aswell, what if Tmac ends up playing at this level for 4 more years?
How many good seasons has Weid put together btw?

This is the closest we've looked to a flag in for ever, right now Tmac is the man

I guess we will find out in another 6 weeks or so once we have seen how our forward line functions with brown, tmac and Jacko.
But you are correct, right now Tmac is the man and it’s his spot to lose.

Lol so McDonald's had 2.5 really good seasons as a forward and Weid has had 2 finals games yet Mcdonald is the one more likely to get crap?
He’s had 1 good season and two good patches of 5 weeks or so

Which is still shitloads more than Weid.
I’m not arguing that, I just don’t have much faith in McDonald to play consistent footy for long patches. Something he struggled with in defence too.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
How anybody can be dropping TMac is laughable. he's arguably top 5 in our bnf right now. take off ya hate glasses for the bloke and realise he's once again a massive reason why we are killing it, you know just like last time we were any good

Last edited:
I reckon McDonald has been a consistent performer at AFL Level for almost his whole career. His major form drops have come when the team have struggled and he's been playing up front, or when he's had injuries.

As a defender, he was very consistent - disposal issues aside.

I reckon Weid signs on for 2. That takes him to FA and two more cracks at trying to win a flag with this team.

He’s not a superstar forward, so he’ll probably only ever play roles. Not many second talls get traded into flag ready teams. They usually go for bigger cash to struggling clubs. Plenty of talls get to flag ready clubs through FA though.

I honestly don’t see the pies making a play. They still have to ship mor cap space and Weid will be asking 600k a year to move. They more likely go for Schache for a bag of chips.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I reckon Weid signs on for 2. That takes him to FA and two more cracks at trying to win a flag with this team.

He’s not a superstar forward, so he’ll probably only ever play roles. Not many second talls get traded into flag ready teams. They usually go for bigger cash to struggling clubs. Plenty of talls get to flag ready clubs through FA though.

I honestly don’t see the pies making a play. They still have to ship mor cap space and Weid will be asking 600k a year to move. They more likely go for Schache for a bag of chips.
I reckon Collingwood need to harvest picks to build up some holes in their side. I don’t think they suddenly become a contender on the back of a Weid trade, and would be ill-advised to attempt it.

I reckon McDonald has been a consistent performer at AFL Level for almost his whole career. His major form drops have come when the team have struggled and he's been playing up front, or when he's had injuries.

As a defender, he was very consistent - disposal issues aside.
This is a bit revisionist, for mine. No doubt he was very good for a few years, but he was majorly struggling down back for a while. You can't really say 'disposal aside', because he was a beyond terrible field kick and often undid his good work.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
This is a bit revisionist, for mine. No doubt he was very good for a few years, but he was majorly struggling down back for a while. You can't really say 'disposal aside', because he was a beyond terrible field kick and often undid his good work.
In comparison to what Weids done, Mcdonald has had a fantastic career

Nah, not sure I agree here - he struggled down back when we were a shocking team, but who didn't?

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
We all know Weideman is going to end up at his rightful home - the Pies. Let’s do some business. I’d be buying Jordan DeGoey stock while it’s hit a low. Put him alongside BBB and Kozzy 20m out from the Melbourne goal line and watch the magic unfold. Tracc and DeGoey in the same side start engraving our name on future Cups.

Out: Weid + 2nd rounder
In: DeGoey

Get it done.

Last edited:
We all know Weideman is going to end up at his rightful home - the Pies. Let’s do some business. I’d be buying Jordan DeGoey stick while it’s hit a low. Put him alongside BBB and Kozzy 20m out fro the Melbourne goal line and watch the magic unfold. Tracc and DeGoey in the same side start engraving our name on future Cups.

Get it done.
Would genuinely rather Josh Daicos

We all know Weideman is going to end up at his rightful home - the Pies. Let’s do some business. I’d be buying Jordan DeGoey stock while it’s hit a low. Put him alongside BBB and Kozzy 20m out from the Melbourne goal line and watch the magic unfold. Tracc and DeGoey in the same side start engraving our name on future Cups.

Get it done.

Don't want team cancer aka DeGoey thanks 👍

Back