#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Remove this Banner Ad

100% should be all over this kid! Most other clubs will be thinking the same, but we are in desperate need of a bloke exactly like him. Would be disappointed if we don't have a massive crack at him now we have the trade currency with a few great picks next season.
Yep, and crystal balling to the end of 2023.
With both TMc and BBBrown both basically week to week propositions with leg issues.

Our 194Cm young forward isn't the tall answer for the big 200cm defenders. So I see van-Rooyen as replacing TMc. More the centre-half forward, Or our 2nd Tall Forward.

We need to go hard at him Benee King, over the coming 12 months.

The Saints wont be able to fit both twins into the one forward-line. and If they were both on the Saints list, they would steal games from one another.
So it makes sense, that if he returns to Vic, then it won't be to the Saints, Bummers, Blues, Dogs... beware the Hawks and Cats getting into his ear-space.

With both TMc and BBBrown both basically week to week propositions with leg issues.

Our 194Cm young forward isn't the tall answer for the big 200cm defenders. So I see van-Rooyen as replacing TMc. More the centre-half forward, Or our 2nd Tall Forward.

The Saints wont be able to fit both twins into the one forward-line. and If they were both on the Saints list, they would steal games from one another.
So it makes sense, that if he returns to Vic, then it won't be to the Saints, Bummers, Blues, Dogs... beware the Hawks and Cats getting into his ear-space.
I'm keen if you stop calling him Benee King. Ben will suffice.

People get so defensive when you say that 194cm is undersized for a key forward but it's true. 200cm is about average.

People get so defensive when you say that 194cm is undersized for a key forward but it's true. 200cm is about average.
A few cm's doesn't really matter if they're good enough.

A few cm's doesn't really matter if they're good enough.
I do agree with this. But it's not a few cm's., it's 6cm below avg. Not to mention guys like Sam Darcy that are 210cm, Peter Wright 203cm, Ben King, 202cm, McKay 204cm. They're all 8-16cm taller. 8-16cm shorter than JVR is a small forwards height or a midfielder. it's a completely different prospect having that extra height up forward. but I'd still take a good player over a bad player with height any day of the week. Charlie Curnow is a good example of this.

I do agree with this. But it's not a few cm's., it's 6cm below avg. Not to mention guys like Sam Darcy that are 210cm, Peter Wright 203cm, Ben King, 202cm, McKay 204cm. They're all 8-16cm taller. 8-16cm shorter than JVR is a small forwards height or a midfielder. it's a completely different prospect having that extra height up forward. but I'd still take a good player over a bad player with height any day of the week. Charlie Curnow is a good example of this.
It goes both ways too. May dominates in defence despite being 10cm shorter than many of his opponents

Apart from King and McKay most of the forwards over 200cm are good average players at best. Peter Wright sucked for a decade before coming good last year. Jack Riewoldt won three Coleman medals as Richmond's main guy and he's the same height as Van Rooyen.

Height is a double edged sword. Outside of a few freaks, the taller you are the more unco you are.

Last edited:
It goes both ways too. May dominates in defence despite being 10cm shorter than many of his opponents

Apart from King and McKay most of the forwards over 200cm are good average players at best. Peter Wright sucked for a decade before coming good last year. Jack Riewoldt won three Coleman medals as Richmond's main guy and he's the same height as Van Rooyen.

Height is a double edged sword. Outside of a few freaks, the taller you are the more unco you are.
Last I looked nobody did anything on the football field with the top of their head.

Arm length is important, as is leap. That can make up for many centimetres difference in a back to back height comparison.

Ultimately superior judgement and nouse will also overall beat someone a bit taller or faster. What’s the point of being 205cm if you continually run under the ball, don’t try to mark it at the top of your leap, or try to chest mark it and get spoiled?

Van Rooyen is aggressive in the air, uses his body well and is strong for his age

I really don't think his height will hold him back at all. Bluelegs makes a great point about May, who you would rarely ever look at and think "hes undersized" even when he plays on the 2m+ freaks.

To add to all of the above comments, tall players with a high Centre of gravity and s**t core strength (e.g. Ben Brown) will frequently get folded in half by a stronger, slightly shorter opponent. Height by itself means not much in the grand scheme of things.

Harry McKay is the only Coleman medalist above 200cms in recent history (and history in general, I genuinely can't think of a Coleman medalist above 200cms lol)

The average height for a Coleman Medalists in the last 10 years is 196cms (2cms higher than JVR)

I know that's a simplistic way of looking at it, but 194cms really isn't crazy undersized. Especially when there's several recent Coleman Medalists at the height or shorter

Last edited:
I don't think naming Coleman medalists from 10 years ago is relevant. Players are getting taller not shorter. There's gonna be alot more tall Coleman medalists soon. Jesse Hogan's 195cm I don't think anyone considers him a tall forward in today's standards. Comparing JVR to Riewoldt is fine, but Riewoldt was also insanely agile and dynamic as well as being as good as a mid with his kicking skills.

JVR has to be one of our most skillful players to be a very good key forward at his height.

311614335_3296889137218985_6458344637428367734_n.jpg
I got a bit teary reading this. Shame I’m in a cafe restaurant and people are looking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has changed a lot, IMO, over the past 7 seasons or so.

And one tall forward of 200cms still struggle with team-talls defending and crashing the forwards body. Most tall forwards have struggled over the past 4 seasons.

The time-frame where Weide & BBBrown have struggled to get a run at the ball.

Trends in footy are important to recognise.

A few cm's doesn't really matter if and separation to be able to be effectual.they're good enough.
Shorter 6'-4'' types have to find space and separation to be effectual. Most of them now are in-betweeners, of 2nd to 3rd talls.

It started changing during Riewoldt's time at the Tiges, when they decided to get after T Lynch.

What Peter Wright has done before is irrelevant. He is a gun now. And he towelled May up when we played them. I'll add in Tom Lynch 199cm.

So we have:
Ben King
Max king
McKay
Tom Lynch
Wright
Sam Darcy is one of the most valuable youngsters in the game
Buddy Franklin 199cm
Tom Hawkins 198cm

I generally agree with your last comment about the taller you are, the more unco you are.

Height can be distorted by a big head or long neck.

A more useful measurement would be how high a player can reach while standing still.

New Don Sam Weideman gives honest appraisal of days as a Dee

Apparently he was just going through the motions this year. Interesting because I thought he’d phoned in his entire career with us 🤔

New Don Sam Weideman gives honest appraisal of days as a Dee

Apparently he was just going through the motions this year. Interesting because I thought he’d phoned in his entire career with us 🤔
Sorry the coaches of the Premiership team demanded you compete for more than three minutes a quarter :(. Aside from a few cameos, he was horrendous for the last two seasons. Two seasons when the two guys taken directly after him in the draft won the Coleman. The fact that we were screaming out for a key forward and still left him in the twos isn't because he didn't have opportunities. He'd want to fix his attitude if he's going to make a success of himself at Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back