Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
2 goals from basically nothing bodes well. If he touches it 15-20 times per game then he'll have a massive influence on the comp.

I dare say that coaches instructions had a major impact on his disposal count.

If a ~20 game kid can lock down a damaging rebounding half back and pick up a couple of goals in the process, then that's still a very good result.

2 goals from basically nothing bodes well. If he touches it 15-20 times per game then he'll have a massive influence on the comp.

The vast majority of NMFC players of the past two decades would have missed both of those goals. The remaining minority would probably have only got 1 of the 2. Boomer might've got them both. Polec too.

Basically, these were two goals that we just didn't get in recent seasons.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
The vast majority of NMFC players of the past two decades would have missed both of those goals. The remaining minority would probably have only got 1 of the 2. Boomer might've got them both. Polec too.

Basically, these were two goals that we just didn't get in recent seasons.

And the two goals Taylor has kicked in the first two games - he kicked them with authority
The kids have no fear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Imagine when he moves into the midfield more, and starts racking up 20-25 disposals! 😱
He did appear to spend a bit of time in the midfield without getting disposals. He often seems to be swamped when he gets the ball. Can we get him in more of an outside mid position where he should get a little more clean possession and be able to do real damage with the quality of his ball use?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He did appear to spend a bit of time in the midfield without getting disposals. He often seems to be swamped when he gets the ball. Can we get him in more of an outside mid position where he should get a little more clean possession and be able to do real damage with the quality of his ball use?

Stoppages? Yes.
Centre clearances? Not so much.

I reckon he's going to be more utility than dyed in the wool midfielder.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Do you think he could play the Atlee role running forward from a half-back flank?

Yes.

I suspect he will eventually become a swingman. A forward who rotates behind the ball.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Hawthorn used Rioli in a similar way. Might go in for the odd centre bounce when they needed a spark, but mainly he just lurked around stoppages.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Kind of crazy how when he was lining up for goal on the weekend, I had zero fears he was gonna miss it, to me that angle seems so natural for him, even Dermie knew this.

More evidence to suggest that is true.

Dermotts special comments were good on the weekend, and when he's on his game and not distracted by his own sides (Hawthorn, Swans & Collingwood), then I reckon he is second only to the duck.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dermotts special comments were good on the weekend, and when he's on his game and not distracted by his own sides (Hawthorn, Swans & Collingwood), then I reckon he is second only to the duck.

I've come to really enjoy his commentary, the bloke knows what he's talking about and I'd rate him second to Duck also, he also seems to really enjoy watching North games and has a lot to point out to the nuffies who don't rate our list or recognize the talent.

He enjoys watching us play and knows plenty about our list, gameplan, strengths and weaknesses.
Even if he might add too much salt and pepper on occasion he is much more knowledgeable than other special commentators

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Speaking of commentators– I never got the flak that Dwayne got. I remember when he called the pies v north game last year and that line “Simpkin’s bumped him out of his boots!” was a favourite of mine. At least I think it was Dwayne that was calling.
Anyway I heard derwayne on SEN on Monday and fmd I now understand why you all say he can’t string a sentence together.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Speaking of commentators– I never got the flak that Dwayne got. I remember when he called the pies v north game last year and that line “Simpkin’s bumped him out of his boots!” was a favourite of mine. At least I think it was Dwayne that was calling.
Anyway I heard derwayne on SEN on Monday and fmd I now understand why you all say he can’t string a sentence together.

The campaigner was a very loud voice for the GC relocation.

He is covered in sin for eternity. Irredeemable.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He enjoys watching us play and knows plenty about our list, gameplan, strengths and weaknesses.
Even if he might add too much salt and pepper on occasion he is much more knowledgeable than other special commentators
He has a fair bit of man-love for Cam Zurhaar. That bit in Q1 where he analysed the behind the goals vision of Zurhaar's positional play which led to a goal was a great bit of work. I find he often attempts to give the viewer insight about what they can't see on screen.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Spot on. Back to his "Dermie Does" segments in the early 2000s, when he sticks to footy and doesn't get sucked into Channel 7 hysterics his thoughts are reasonably engaging.

He's not a dumb bloke but his hothead streak and emotions can suck him into talking bullshit at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back