Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walsh may end up being a 30+ disposal a game player, but you'd much rather have 20+ touches from a player as smooth as Thomas. Walsh is quality, but I see him more as a Heppell or Matt Crouch type i.e someone who is going to get a lot of touches, but without necessarily starring.

I think we're only seeing the surface of Thomas' potential as well. Once he bulks up enough so that he can play in the centre he is going to really start turning some heads. When he was briefly in the centre as a junior he looked dominant and with his size and large frame he could easily become a Fyfe/Bont-esque monster.

EDIT: You look at Thomas and he is eventually going to be a 189cm+ 90kg+ inside mid who is going to have excellent skills, the ability to mark overhead, good speed, excellent agility, goal sense and the ability to be elite both ways. I want to keep a lid on it at this stage, but Thomas has all the tools to be really special.

My biggest query on Thomas as a junior was his game sense, as he had repeatedly struggled to get involved when he wasn't on ball. Yet his last two games have completely destroyed this notion as I never expected him to win this much outside ball so early.

Last edited:
I felt I had to point out his 2016 tackling. He averaged nearly 4 and 1/2 tackles a game that year. And in the first half of the year he had only 2 games with less than 6 tackles! In the first 11 games of the year he had 55 tackles. We won 10 of those games. I remember being shocked about it.

I essentially agree with what you're saying tho. If Wellsy was as hard around the ball as TT he'd have been an all time great.

I remember speaking to one of Wellsys team mates at north saying that he was by far the best inside mid at the club. Also happened to be head and shoulders the best outside mid too. If you go back and look at centre bounces, Wellsy was in there when we really needed a lift out of the middle and he'd win a lot of contested ball. But as for TT, he's a gem, reckon he's the best first year player I can remember pulling on our jumper.

Less flashy than the over the shoulder handball, but I liked his handball to Zurhaar who kicked the goal. Not for the skills, but the composure and decision-making. He had a look at goals, and made a split second decision to not to go for it, and to then look for the better option. The capacity good players have to make time stand still.

Less flashy than the over the shoulder handball, but I liked his handball to Zurhaar who kicked the goal. Not for the skills, but the composure and decision-making. He had a look at goals, and made a split second decision to not to go for it, and to then look for the better option. The capacity good players have to make time stand still.

There was a kick into the forward line for a goal as well (can't recall who) but he had someone right on his tail and instead of blazing away he steadied, used up the extra couple of metres he had doing so and delivered a perfect 20m pass just as contact was made. Very nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay again. Geez he does look good. I thought he’d be battling in the vfl this year. Now he looks he’s cemented a spot.

He makes time stop. A trait of many of the greats.

And he appears so comfortable at the level with ball in hand which is rare for a kid. Holds onto it a split second longer to give a handball, taps it on instead of taking possession etc.

His natural instincts already appear to be in sync with the extra speed of the AFL. His visual triangulation analysis and execution is enormous.

There was a kick into the forward line for a goal as well (can't recall who) but he had someone right on his tail and instead of blazing away he steadied, used up the extra couple of metres he had doing so and delivered a perfect 20m pass just as contact was made. Very nice.

The kick at the start of this video as well. Took a handball under pressure, summed up the situation ahead and chipped a pinpoint kick between two Carlton blokes. All in the space of a half second.

The kick at the start of this video as well. Took a handball under pressure, summed up the situation ahead and chipped a pinpoint kick between two Carlton blokes. All in the space of a half second.

............and he owes it all to?

Go on, say it.

Stunning really and so calmly done. Peak Wells stuff. He'll never have that raw speed but it looks likely he'll have more physicality than Wells. Going to be fun watching this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back