Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yup, for most players that would be a career highlight. Everything is there, the desperate 1 % smother, the poise (Bont??? pffttt), the confidence to back himself 1-1 against one of the so called best in the comp, the skill, the finish.

I really don't get all the Bont hate. Dude is a star.

I really don't get all the Bont hate. Dude is a star.
He showed his character when he went out of his way to speak ill of one of our players. nek minnit player then gets suspended for a high tackle that was nothing more than a high tackle. Lachie Hunter's dear ol dad added a lot of mayo too with fears for his sons health through the media (few days later is named in the team and plays that week)

All because they don't like Lindsay Thomas.

Of course over on there side of the fence they talked it up like Bont was being a leader for saying what he said.

c**ts

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know what happened with Lindsay, it's just that I find it weird when people bash Bont's on field performances because of what he said off the field.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know what happened with Lindsay, it's just that I find it weird when people bash Bont's on field performances because of what he said off the field.
I don’t think anyone is saying that he’s not a champion, just that he’s also a champion campaigner!

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

Dog in name and dog in nature.

The slate won’t be clean till Thomas mark2 is standing over his limp body saying we never forget 👍

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Ok...

If you want to discuss Jack Ziebell - amazingly there's a thread for that.

If you want to post in a manner that deliberately provokes other posters or references their personal circumstances without consent - expect a temporary thread lockout.

This is a small gesture to give North Melbourne posters a chance to cool down.

As explained previously after that normal protocol will be followed.

If you're unsure on what's inappropriate please refer to site rules.

I'm upset I missed the Office gifs.

Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dog in name and dog in nature.

The slate won’t be clean till Thomas mark2 is standing over his limp body saying we never forget 👍

Already nutted the campaigner once. Imagine what he does in a few years,

Runs out of the centre with both hunter and bonts heads on sticks and still kicks a goal from 50! Dynasty awaits!

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No "hate" at all, but he is overcooked by the media at this point.

I can’t think of many at his age with a better resume than Bontempelli.
Premiership player, 3 x best & fairests (one in premiership year), 2 x All Australians and has regularly polled well in the Brownlow.
He is only 24 and is an absolute star.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Premiership player,

A team award that is largely a matter of fate.

3 x best & fairests (one in premiership year),

He beat Josh Dunkley last year and a 33 year old bloke in 2016.

2 x All Australians and has regularly polled well in the Brownlow.

Media awards

He is only 24 and is an absolute star.

I wouldn't argue that he's a contemporary "star" but that doesn't mean much to someone who has seen blokes come and go who would take him to the cleaners. The Bulldogs are a very even team of ball accumulators that flick it around probably more than anyone else.

I'll make a prediction, I reckon he has peaked. In fact, he peaked at 22.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Read the post again mate, no Bont hate at all, just how good Tarryn is in that play against one of the best in the comp. The point is to highlight just how good Tarryn is that he can do that against a player of Bont's quality.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exciting Kangaroo Tarryn Thomas is being encouraged to put his natural flair on display even more in 2020 as he prepares to back up an outstanding debut season.
Although the 19-year-old did not manage more than 19 disposals in a game last year his skill was evident as he used the ball superbly and kicked several memorable goals.
Thomas exceeded expectations, playing 20 games and finishing 12th in the best and fairest to be an obvious choice as North Melbourne's finest young player.
Tarryn Thomas, centre, is on the mark.

Tarryn Thomas, centre, is on the mark.CREDIT:AAP
He has also fitted in well at the club, coming out of his shell to the point where he is almost unrecognisable from the shy Tasmanian drafted with pick eight in the national draft as a Next Generation Academy graduate.
Advertisement

RELATED ARTICLE
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 18: Jamie Macmillan of the Kangaroos poses during a North Melbourne Kangaroos AFL training session at Arden Street Ground on December 18, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Mike Owen/Getty Images)
NORTH MELBOURNE
Macmillan rises to Shaw's challenge
Add to shortlist
Thomas said teammates Jamie Macmillan and Shaun Higgins, as well as line coaches Jarred Moore and Brendan Whitecross, were supporting him to bring his strengths to the table and take the game on.
"I'm being encouraged to use my flair. They are huge on that as well as to keep playing to my strengths and play my role," Thomas said.
What that role evolves into remains to be seen with Thomas an obvious candidate to move into the midfield more often as he builds the assets he needs to flourish in that area having been used more as a forward in 2019.
"I'm hoping to build my tank and agility more in the pre-season," Thomas said.

Thomas was one of four Kangaroos nominated for the Rising Star Award with Bailey Scott, Cam Zurhaar and Nick Larkey all receiving nominations for the accolade Carlton's Sam Walsh won.
It was the largest crop of rising star nominees at the Kangaroos since the award started however, Scott was the club's first since former North Melbourne midfielder Ryan Clarke in 2016.
Tarryn Thomas kicks a goal in round 12.

Tarryn Thomas kicks a goal in round 12. CREDIT:AAP
Thomas, who played rugby league growing up in Sydney before taking up AFL when he moved to Launceston as a teenager, said he was also focused on strengthening his relationships with teammates on and off the field in the pre-season.
"I'm opening up and learning as I go. Building on relationships is the biggest thing and earning that trust from my teammates," he said.

Thomas, who played in two TSL flags with North Launceston, kicked 16 goals in 2019 with only Port Adelaide's Connor Rozee, Sydney's Nick Blakey and Gold Coast's Ben King managing more after being selected in the 2018 national draft.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A team award that is largely a matter of fate.

He beat Josh Dunkley last year and a 33 year old bloke in 2016.

Media awards

I wouldn't argue that he's a contemporary "star" but that doesn't mean much to someone who has seen blokes come and go who would take him to the cleaners. The Bulldogs are a very even team of ball accumulators that flick it around probably more than anyone else.

I'll make a prediction, I reckon he has peaked. In fact, he peaked at 22.

Winning 3 best & fairests and being a 2 time All Aust is an incredible effort by age 24. The All Aust squads are generally pretty spot on in my opinion with the odd player unlucky to miss.

Josh Dunkley had an incredible year and anyone that is the best player in a premiership year is top notch in my view. I have no idea what beating a 33 year old has to do with anything. Our best player is 32 and there are others in our top handful in their 30’s.

He also won the Afl coaches association player of the year in 2019, which obviously has nothing to do with the media.

I’m not sure what else the bloke can do but be in a successful side and continually add accolades to his resume.

I personally think he hasn’t reached his peak and he has a Fyfe 2015 like season coming up. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Winning 3 best & fairests and being a 2 time All Aust is an incredible effort by age 24. The All Aust squads are generally pretty spot on in my opinion with the odd player unlucky to miss.

Josh Dunkley had an incredible year and anyone that is the best player in a premiership year is top notch in my view. I have no idea what beating a 33 year old has to do with anything. Our best player is 32 and there are others in our top handful in their 30’s.

He also won the Afl coaches association player of the year in 2019, which obviously has nothing to do with the media.

I’m not sure what else the bloke can do but be in a successful side and continually add accolades to his resume.

I personally think he hasn’t reached his peak and he has a Fyfe 2015 like season coming up. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I’m with you Nutjob , but the media do faff over him at every opportunity. He’s a special though.

*Was a total 5 star prick though the way he put his not required 2 cents into the LT thing. It was a high tackle, but the bullflogs made out like it was hit behind ****ing play. Sh!t club with a sh!t culture.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m with you Nutjob , but the media do faff over him at every opportunity. He’s a special though.

*Was a total 5 star prick though the way he put his not required 2 cents into the LT thing. It was a high tackle, but the bullflogs made out like it was hit behind ****ing play. Sh!t club with a sh!t culture.

You can’t really blame him for the media attention he gets.

I completely agree on the LT debacle, it was a dog act. I just don’t see the relevance between that and his on field prowess, which a previous poster was adverting to.

Put it this way, if I was starting up a team tomorrow my first choice (keeping age in mind) would be a toss up between Bontempelli or Cripps.

If you are only as good as your last game, as the old saying goes, Bont's performance in the final v GWS was nothing special really, failed to handle being tagged, he ain't Robinson Crusoe in that regard, but in cut throat, big games, the real champ's generally find a way.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you are only as good as your last game, as the old saying goes, Bont's performance in the final v GWS was nothing special really, failed to handle being tagged, he ain't Robinson Crusoe in that regard, but in cut throat, big games, the real champ's generally find a way.

Was towelled up by DeBoer. Not DB's first big scalp and not his last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back