Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watching him now v NSW at Southport.

Hasn't had much of it but is silk. Is getting thrown everywhere, has been down back, in the middle and stints one out in the forward line. Am right next to the coaches box, you can tell that he is their main man, the way they are throwing him around where needed.

Looks about 6'1", lean as but sticks his tackles. Clean by foot, some of his passes haven't come off but moreso because his team mates aren't at his level.

And according to security, fapping in public at junior sport is frowned upon.
you'll be right with your bag of twisties... uploadfromtaptalk1468569362236.jpg

Went and watched Thomas play yesterday for North Launceston. I'm a long time North watcher (although this is my first game this year as I've been watching a lot of other different tier comps) so am able to put into perspective how he fits in to their structure. First of all he is being extremely well coached by Zane Littlejohn and the rest of the crew. He is a very quiet boy and the coaching staff were encouraging him to get more vocal as that would help him get more involved. They were also working with all the forwards around unrewarded running, pressure acts and general forward structure. They did play Kingborough who were not much chop, so it wasn't that easy to get an easy read on what was going on, but Thomas showed some of the attributes of why he is being highly touted. Kicked 5 goals out of a forward pocket. Early on looked to be struggling to adapt to be back playing against men, but as the game wore on his class and smarts allowed him to get in the right spots. Some great pressure acts and forward front and square crumbing as well as getting on the end of a couple of quick ball movement chains produced his goals. Didn't play through the middle but that was more about getting their structures right for next week against the top of the table Glenorchy.

First of all he is being extremely well coached by Zane Littlejohn and the rest of the crew. He is a very quiet boy and the coaching staff were encouraging him to get more vocal as that would help him get more involved.

I've absolutely no doubt that Zane Littlejohn would make a very good assistant coach at AFL level..... impressive!

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/79d0deb63a96a7e373d1b79c60f51a6e

North Launceston’s Tarryn Thomas footy’s next-gen
79d0deb63a96a7e373d1b79c60f51a6e

SIMEON THOMAS-WILSON, Mercury
July 25, 2016 12:00am

79d0deb63a96a7e373d1b79c60f51a6e

THE Tasmanian described as potentially better than Grant Birchall and Jack Riewoldt at the same age heads the first crop of participants in North Melbourne’s Tasmanian Academy.

North Launceston’s 16-year-old rising star Tarryn Thomas, is one of 167 under-10s to 16s boys and girls who will take part in the 10-week academy program conducted by the Kangaroos and AFL Tasmania.

1158310777542082d42f60f8b8b3c8fc

Tassie young gun Tarryn Thomas. Picture: MATHEW FARRELL
The program, starting on August 1, will be one of the AFL’s “Next Generation” academies, which allows North to receive draft concessions for Tasmanian youngsters with indigenous and multicultural backgrounds.

This 20 per cent discount, should a rival club select one of their academy players, kicks in for the Roos at the 2018 draft and that is when Thomas — an indigenous Tasmanian — becomes eligible to join the AFL.

Thomas, Tasmania’s best player at the under-18 national championships, was named MVP at the national under-16 Division Two championships.

He has been described as a clean, skilled ball user who always has plenty of time and is able to play a number of roles.

The 167 were chosen from more than 600 trialists from the state’s South, North and North-West.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I hear about him the more I like him. Keep the hype coming!

167?!? In the academy from multicultural and indigenous backgrounds, way more than what I was expecting

Same draft as Crocker's boy, yeah?

Could be pushed to get em both...

167?!? In the academy from multicultural and indigenous backgrounds, way more than what I was expecting
If Wyndham is a guide, the academies are not only for players from multicultural or indigenous backgrounds. There were boys and girls from all backgrounds involved. I think in Tasmania the aim will be to create the opportunity for all kids to reach an elite level, with North Melbourne to have priority access to those from indigenous or multicultural background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back