Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I mean of all his physiological drivers, the motivation to perform the same acts as others would be less than his motivation to execute his unique skills.

Not everyone is the same.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes but WHY do you think that? What on earth about Thomas gives you the confidence to make that claim?

Intothewind

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well if you saw me playing country footy in the 90s you would know it's not from personal experience that I know how talented people think.

I think that based on what I've seen at games and on TV. I can appreciate if you formed a different opinion or know him personally, Im happy to be corrected.
Yes but WHY do you think that? What on earth about Thomas gives you the confidence to make that claim?

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

He he.

Yep. I think full length you'd argue around 12-3 possies for 2020. So 15+ would be a good minimum level for him. I think he'll always lean towards the high impact, high score involvement but slightly lower possession count although he might surprise. He does have some pretty outrageous athletic attributes. be interesting to see if he ever puts on real size, he could borderline play mobile CHF at times with the right body...

I think he already has the right body. I know many on here get all excited about players bulking up and putting on weight, and for many players yes, that is helpful development for their game. But Tarryn is so fluid and plays so intuitively, that he is perfect the way he is right now. He needs to be lithe, just the way he is. And he's proven he can execute and break tackles with the best of them. His body type is certainly not holding him back, and I think being the type he is benefits him and is key to how well executes his intuitive speed and grace. I wouldn't want to bulk that down.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Having your dinner at the Hub in Queensland and having coaches wandering over with their laptops and going over things you could improve on . It didn’t stop and pissed the players off immensely .
So interesting comment by Noble .
Geez how often does one need to be told to kick it long to a contest?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s our new Wells :)

I got zero clue on why I feel this way. But why do I get the feeling he won’t stay at north? Idk haha
All I know is that he's got insane talent but needs to have a great run at it in 2021 otherwise he could get left behind compared to some other players on the list. He isn't going to be playing midfield for extended periods of time with the young fellas we have coming through so really needs to make the forward line his own. I'm a little worried about his frame and bigger opponents but maybe that's just his body type and he'll never really 'get bigger'.

All I know is that he's got insane talent but needs to have a great run at it in 2021 otherwise he could get left behind compared to some other players on the list. He isn't going to be playing midfield for extended periods of time with the young fellas we have coming through so really needs to make the forward line his own. I'm a little worried about his frame and bigger opponents but maybe that's just his body type and he'll never really 'get bigger'.

I don't think he is that small.

I do however feel that as fans, at least, we don't see how he fits in very clearly. I assume the club does.

We know he's super talented, can play multiple roles etc etc but I cant see how he fits into our side other than thinking he could be used anywhere hes that good.

But what is his role this year? I'm not certain yet...

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
TT is the most skilful player we have on the list, different skillet from the others. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a licence to do what he wants/mr fixit goes where he’s needed.
He doesn’t need to get it 30 times a game, he just needs to make an impact when he goes forward/back/midfield which is quiet likely he will, as he’d be a knightmare match up.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
TT is the most skilful player we have on the list, different skillet from the others. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a licence to do what he wants/mr fixit goes where he’s needed.
He doesn’t need to get it 30 times a game, he just needs to make an impact when he goes forward/back/midfield which is quiet likely he will, as he’d be a knightmare match up.

How about getting it 15 times.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Was going to post similar, well said man.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
How about getting it 15 times.
Ive got to agree. To this point i’ve been a little disappointed. Maybe the hype machine when we recruited him made me/us expect a lot more?..

TT’s freakish ability is never questioned but seeing flashes of it isnt enough.

I’m hoping Noble and Blakey can turn him into the player we’re all hoping for.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ive got to agree. To this point i’ve been a little disappointed. Maybe the hype machine when we recruited him made me/us expect a lot more?..

TT’s freakish ability is never questioned but seeing flashes of it isnt enough.

I’m hoping Noble and Blakey can turn him into the player we’re all hoping for.
Would you rather 30 from Liam Anthony or 15 from Wells?
he might never be a high possession getter and that’s ok, if we’ve got other ball pigs.. but he might be the one who drops back if teams get a run on or shifts forward to kick a few, to set up a win.
he’s a game breaker, not death by a thousand cuts..

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s only played one full season and a handful of games in his second. It’s a bit unfair to expect more than he’s done. He’s shown heaps so far.

Realistically I don't think he needs to show too much more, year one he showed he was an impact player but it's hard to be particularly effective as one if you're getting it less than 10 times per game. Raise the floor on his possession counts and start hitting the 15+ mark more often, while doing everything else he does, and it would be a tick from me. Given his first year stats and now a full pre season, there shouldn't be any great barriers, it's just 3 or so extra possessions per game.

His second year can be mostly ignored. The games he did play, even accounting for game time, was a step down in most regards but I don't think many would hold it against him much considering how quickly he the team went to s**t and then just a couple of weeks later he was injured; didn't get much of a chance to build.

I have some concerns, but he's fit and firing right now so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
a first year player playing the hardest position on the ground (HFF) without a developed tank is never going get the footy 15+ times per game.

Last year he injured his foot, it’s still only early days with TT.

When we picked him we were well aware that he was going to be a slow burn. He’ll no doubt have some quality games this year but realistically I think he is 18-24 months away from being able to regularly impact games.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I have some concerns, but he's fit and firing right now so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

He has had legitimate conditioning issues.

What he can do when the ball is in his area is not a point of contention. He just needs to get to it more often.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He will be a high-impact player rather than a high possession player

If he gets it 10 times but at least 5 of them result in goals indirectly or directly is better than 30+ handballs

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He will be a high-impact player rather than a high possession player

If he gets it 10 times but at least 5 of them result in goals indirectly or directly is better than 30+ handballs

This may be the case, but he needs to impact when the team needs it most and not go missing for big chunks of matches.

Again, I put it down to conditioning at this stage.

His base is icing, his apex is match winner.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Would you rather 30 from Liam Anthony or 15 from Wells?
he might never be a high possession getter and that’s ok, if we’ve got other ball pigs.. but he might be the one who drops back if teams get a run on or shifts forward to kick a few, to set up a win.
he’s a game breaker, not death by a thousand cuts..

Relax mate, no need to get in the defensive, we all want the mural to succeed but at this point 7.8 possessions a game from a very high draft pick is looking more like Kieran Harper than Daniel Wells.. doesn’t mean that wont change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back