Past #26: Warren Benjamin - selected with #71 in the '08 ND - delisted at end of 2010 season

Remove this Banner Ad

blackandwhitecookie.jpg

warrenbenjamin.jpg

Name: Warren Benjamin
Height: 187cm
Weight: 85kg
Recruited From: Claremont
Draft History: Pick 71 in the 2008 National Draft

The hard-at-it midfielder comes from Claremont in Western Australia and has developed a very strong body. Of all the draftees, Benjamin clocked the second fastest time in the 20 metre sprint with 2.76sec at a talent camp screening session. He is aggressive at the contest, strong overhead and has a great leap.

Through his own admission, he needs to work on his fitness and disposal by both hand and foot if he’s to break into the senior side.

Re: 26. Warren Benjamin

warrenbenjamin.jpg

Name: Warren Benjamin
Height: 187cm
Weight: 85kg
Recruited From: Claremont
Draft History: Pick 71 in the 2008 National Draft

The hard-at-it midfielder comes from Claremont in Western Australia and has developed a very strong body. Of all the draftees, Benjamin clocked the second fastest time in the 20 metre sprint with 2.76sec at a talent camp screening session. He is aggressive at the contest, strong overhead and has a great leap.

Through his own admission, he needs to work on his fitness and disposal by both hand and foot if he’s to break into the senior side.

How did he go the other nite anyone please i missed the game

Was used in the ruck! Gave away a lot of height in the rucking contests, but worked valiantly. Didn't get much ball around the ground and when he did, use needed work. He looked like he tired as the game progressed, and started to infringe a bit in the rucking late in the game, a combination of exhaustion from not being used to rucking and frustration at playing on taller more experienced rucking opponents I'm guessing...

However, he was working hard around the ground right until the end. Did you hear about the injury to Greg Gallman of the Crows that night? Fractured collarbone i think it ended up being. That came from an incident where Gallman and he were contesting a loose footy in the 4th 1/4. It just shows that Benjamin was putting it in right up until the end.

Here's a youtube clip. An option to "watch in HD" appears immediately under the viewing frame after the low definition version has completely buffered (red line got to far right). Choose the HD option, you cant really see what is going on in low def.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTPF0maSk9E

Thanks for the clip shiraz, it's great to see some of the new boys in action. Certainly seems to have the build of a senior player.

Thanks for the clip shiraz, it's great to see some of the new boys in action. Certainly seems to have the build of a senior player.

Agree with everything HKR!

I was pleasantly surprised to see him actually win some hitouts.

Speaking to people I know in Broome,they speak very highly of Warren.
Words like smart and committed being used.

Anyone seen him at training or heard anything?How does he look?
Ive seen him a couple of times at training and in at least one reserve practice match and nothing has really stuck out about him.

Seems to be a decent midfield/flanker size (assuming about 190cm) and he is sharpish (pacey). Havent really taken much notice of his disposal, he gets lost in the crowd as he has no outstanding attribute.

Hasnt been at the club for long so definitely not writing him off in any way. This time last year I thought the same (if not worse) about Cruise Gartlett but the improvement in 12 months has been amazing. Hope its the same with Warren

He's fast, strong, agile. He has a very good vertical leap. He is athletic.
The reason we got him at pick 71 is that his disposal isn't great and he currently lacks stamina.
He needs to play at VFL level while he develops his disposal by foot, and his stamina. He will either fall by the wayside or become one of the great steals of the 2008 draft, depending on how well he overcomes his two 'shortcomings'.
I'm looking forward to him ripping it up in the VFL and the confidence driving him to bigger and better things!

He was ok last week in the wet. Showed good composure when coralled against the boundary line and looks to have good pace. Flanker or winger who could maybe run through the guts at some stage. Is a decent size and will be ok, imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasnt this the dude they thought about bringing into the aboriginal all star game this year as a ruck? If so he really doesnt look ruck size, must have a fair leap on him. Anyone notice?

edit - just noticed jschwag said he had good leap.....should read more

Wasnt this the dude they thought about bringing into the aboriginal all star game this year as a ruck? If so he really doesnt look ruck size, must have a fair leap on him. Anyone notice?

edit - just noticed jschwag said he had good leap.....should read more
Iirc he did play in Aboriginal team in the ruck

Benjamin played for WAFL club Claremont last season, managing 16 games at colts level as well as two at senior level late in the season. He was a very inside player at junior level as he averaged six tackles, four clearances and just four handball-receives per game at colts level. He recorded a time of 2.76sec for the 20m sprint at the WA state screening last season - one of the fastest times recorded by any of the 2008 draftees.

If they could get the guy fit, he could be anything from what i have heard.

His poor footskills could be more of a stamina and concentration thing rather than technical.

Is it true he told his wafl club president to get f&*^%^ of something of that nature?

i was curious to know how his development was coming along. Haven't seen any reports on him, is he playing north ballarat seniors? or has been playing in the reserves?

If he is coming along okay i wouldn't mind seeing him in the ones, due to his amazingly quick leg speed.

Any info would be great!

from reports on here he has been very quiet

i think he started off in the reserves, had a couple of games in the seniors and was dropped back to the reserves again

his brother clint is playing with him in the reserves

Warren Benjamin showed more signs of improvement at reserve level and had 20 possessions to compliment two goals in his team's big win.

Reserves
Warren Benjamin - 20 possessions, 5 marks, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50's, 8 tackles

Taken from an article on the Roos website July 20.

This kid is 19 so time is still on his side, but, he hasn't been able to force his way in to the powerful Roosters Seniors yet. Needs to break into the Nth Ballarat ones and hopefully we can then see an Urquhart like development next year.

Anyone who's had a first hand look at this kid, some input would be great.

According to his bio on the VFL website he's actually played 8 senior games this year.

I couldn't tell you why he isn't getting more senior football but he has been named in the best in 3 out of the 9 games he's had in the reserves.

Hopefully he'll get a call up for the finals. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back