#27 - Harley Balic - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyson looking more and more expendable by the day...

Good trade. Since we've got a strong core group of 30-35 players who can play games to a good standard next year I'd like to see us continue to be bold and risky when acquiring players. Look at their potential and attitude first, and back ourselves to mould them into successful AFL players. Last year, Hannan worked out well, Maynard and Smith look good so far and Balic and McKenna might develop into very valuable players. If we strike gold we win huge, if we don't, we won't have used too many resources regardless.
Like the clubs attitude to acquire players to generate competition internally.

Also:

main-qimg-8643bb3ff7d075cd4e6eac997bb0f788-c
darthsidusfan Can't believe you weren't all over this one.

The interview is awful.

That said I think he will thrive once he is home. Big on his mates and getting back to his people.

How long have we signed him for? Rumours are just one year! Surely we signed him up for two? Adds great depth. Time will tell if it was a steal at 66, but hardly a risk as a fourth rounder in a shallow draft.

Doesn't fix our need for good ball users and speed. I hope all three bios of our draft picks this year read 'speed and good ball use'.

How long have we signed him for? Rumours are just one year! Surely we signed him up for two? Adds great depth. Time will tell if it was a steal at 66, but hardly a risk as a fourth rounder in a shallow draft.

Doesn't fix our need for good ball users and speed. I hope all three bios of our draft picks this year read 'speed and good ball use'.

Where are you reading these rumours? I found no indication of contract length in the article but one year would be pretty weird.

Where are you reading these rumours? I found no indication of contract length in the article but one year would be pretty weird.
It was on the AFL website article on Balic, yeah the one year contract is pretty weird, thought it'd be a standard two year contract. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-18/homesick-docker-harley-balic-gets-trade-wish-and-joins-dees

HARLEY Balic has been secured by Melbourne on a one-year contract after the club sent pick No.66 to Fremantle on Wednesday morning.

I went to a WAFL game at the start of the year and he tore it up then (he did in all his WAFL games), hope he does well for you lot.
I don't think the Dees can lose this trade even if he doesn't work out.

I don't think the Dees can lose this trade even if he doesn't work out.
We gave up a pick that I don't think we would've used in the draft at all if we kept it, so getting Balic is certainly worth it for a cheap price. If he ends up being a long-term player for us, that would be fantastic. He's got some stiff competition but that's healthy for us as a team and he's set himself the aim to play in round 1. Looking forward to seeing him in the pre-season, I think he'll be in the mix for selection in the early rounds of next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We gave up a pick that I don't think we would've used in the draft at all if we kept it, so getting Balic is certainly worth it for a cheap price. If he ends up being a long-term player for us, that would be fantastic. He's got some stiff competition but that's healthy for us as a team and he's set himself the aim to play in round 1. Looking forward to seeing him in the pre-season, I think he'll be in the mix for selection in the early rounds of next season.

Kicks on both feet, like Cousins - good player.

It was on the AFL website article on Balic, yeah the one year contract is pretty weird, thought it'd be a standard two year contract. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-18/homesick-docker-harley-balic-gets-trade-wish-and-joins-dees

HARLEY Balic has been secured by Melbourne on a one-year contract after the club sent pick No.66 to Fremantle on Wednesday morning.
Seems pretty flakey mentally so I’d suggest the one year maybe just limits our risk somehow? (Even though contracts don’t seem to mean s**t in the afl)

Good get still, worth the risk, hopefully being home sorts him out.

Big jaw.

Slightly deadish, emo-type eyes.Will probably work out as some kind of Viney-Garland cross.
I do think we should change it up and be the only team with smiling player shots. I’m not certain about this Slavic prison-guard look we are working at the moment.

Seems pretty flakey mentally so I’d suggest the one year maybe just limits our risk somehow? (Even though contracts don’t seem to mean s**t in the afl)

Good get still, worth the risk, hopefully being home sorts him out.
Yep agree, not much to lose giving up pick 66 but f*** me his interview was a pretty sombre affair.
Bit of pizazz wouldn't go astray young fella bloody hell!!

Yep agree, not much to lose giving up pick 66 but f*** me his interview was a pretty sombre affair.
Bit of pizazz wouldn't go astray young fella bloody hell!!
He's no worse an interview subject than Buddy Franklin - especially his early years, probably a lot better actually. I think people knowing his history makes them overly focussed on that aspect of him. Most of these young guys are pretty underwhelming in an interview. I think he's genuinely excited to give it a crack with us. I'm excited to see what he can do.

He's no worse an interview subject than Buddy Franklin - especially his early years, probably a lot better actually. I think people knowing his history makes them overly focussed on that aspect of him. Most of these young guys are pretty underwhelming in an interview. I think he's genuinely excited to give it a crack with us. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Shouldn't the club have a media officer to brief him? Or, since this is mainly just Melbourne propaganda, 'Burgo' giving him tips and stuff?

I just don't see the big deal. We drafted him to play football, not host a variety show. He's ok.

Exactly. I would be very unexcited if someone pointed a camera at me and stuck a microphone in my face, plus the ludicrous levels of scrutiny that seem to take place over every public comment. I too would be keeping a nice high elbow and playing with a straight bat.

Exactly. I would be very unexcited if someone pointed a camera at me and stuck a microphone in my face, plus the ludicrous levels of scrutiny that seem to take place over every public comment. I too would be keeping a nice high elbow and playing with a straight bat.

Id be the front page of every newspaper if someone asked me my opinion on women's footy or themed rounds or concussion protocol etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back