#27 Harry Himmelberg (Pick 16, 2015 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Harry Himmelberg

Height: 194cm
Weight: 87kg
D/O/B: 8/5/1996
Position: Key Forward

The GIANTS have bolstered their forward stocks by drafting mobile goal-kicker Himmelberg with pick 16 at the 2015 NAB AFL Draft in Adelaide. Himmbelberg, who lives in Canberra, attracted a bid from Adelaide in the first round but under the new academy bidding system, the GIANTS matched the bid to secure the talented teen. A member of the PM CAPITAL GIANTS Academy, Himmelberg relocated from Mangoplah in the NSW Riverina and has been playing for Eastlake in the NEAFL. Himmelberg had an injury interrupted 2014 but was a solid performer at the NAB AFL Under-18 national championships this year. An athletic forward with good hands, Himmelberg presents well on the lead and impresses with his repeat efforts. Himmelberg attracted a lot of attention after being named best on ground for the Allies in a Grand Final curtain-raiser match against the NAB AFL Academy last month. Standing at 194cm and 87kg, the talented 19-year-old will further strengthen the GIANTS’ potent forwardline.
It was a successful draft for the GIANTS who used all their selections on members of the PM CAPITAL GIANTS Academy, re-inforcing the importance of developing home-grown talent.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-11-24/draft-pick-16-harrison-himmelberg#sthash.Ruomf3UY.dpuf

"He's been a real surprise package. He's a 19-year-old, and had you asked me about him this time last year I would have said he wasn't recruitable. But he's just been Mr Consistent this year His parents moved to the Gold Coast so instead of going with him he said, I'm going to move to Canberra and do preseason with Eastlake and the Giants Academy and see where that gets me. And he flew out of the blocks, after that. He's the sort of leading centre half-forward who will lead and lead and lose his opponents with his speed and agility. He's really matured."

- Tadhg Kennelly, NSW-ACT Rams coach

12308771_1002039623151885_3207963630352454293_n.jpg

Congratulations Harry. Have a great game!

Himmelberg to Debut

Himmelbergdebut-SLIDER.jpg

Forward turned defender Harry Himmelberg will play his first AFL game at the Gabba on Sunday.
Young defender Harry Himmelberg will become the GIANTS’ third debutant of the season when he lines up against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Sunday.

The GIANTS will name a 25-man squad at 6.25pm tonight but coach Leon Cameron confirmed in Thursday’s team meeting that Himmelberg will play his first game.

After playing every NEAFL game this year, Himmelberg has been in strong form off half back and in contention for his AFL debut for several weeks.

Originally a mobile forward, the 20-year-old was selected with pick 16 at the 2015 NAB AFL Draft after the GIANTS matched a bid from Adelaide for the GIANTS Academy graduate.

An over-age draftee, Himmelberg relocated from Mangoplah in the NSW Riverina and spent last season playing for Eastlake in the NEAFL.

Standing at 194cm and 87kg, Himmelberg has turned into a defender since arriving at the GIANTS and impressed with his ability to read the ball as well as his strong marking and clean foot skills.

Himmelberg is the third GIANTS Academy product to debut this year, behind number seven pick Jacob Hopper and number 13 pick Matthew Kennedy.

One aspect of Himmelberg’s game that proves he’s amongst the competition’s elite is when he’s helping his teammates.

The Wagga Wagga product is leading the competition for goal assists in 2019 with Himmelberg setting up his teammates for 24 goals.

They were harping on that a bit on the TV coverage of the weekend and you can see it - Leon has lauded his contested work in the past and you can always see how clean he is under his knees, so there's a fairly regular collect of a loose ball, followed by a quick handball to a teammate for a ping at goal.

After re-signing with GWS this year, Harry Himmelberg has now played his 150th game, in the 2nd Elimination Final against St Kilda.

Congrats on the milestone, Thor!

HH 150.png

Milestone-man Harry Himmelberg admits there’s one particular match in his 149 outings as a GIANT that fuels his hunger for ultimate team success, as he prepares to embark on another finals campaign.

From being overlooked in his draft year to becoming one of this year’s hottest free agents, Himmelberg will line up in game number 150 on Saturday when the GIANTS’ mission for a maiden flag continues with a clash with the Saints in an elimination final at the MCG.

And while the team-first swingman was focused firmly on the task at hand come Saturday, he took time to reflect on his journey and reveal how a 2019 clash with the Magpies ignited his thirst for premiership success at the GIANTS. “All the finals that I’ve played in so far have really stood out, but when we won the prelim against Collingwood [in 2019] was one of the best feelings I’ve ever had,” Himmelberg said. “Just knowing you’re playing in a grand final was an unreal feeling. That’s the feeling that drives me to get back there, and it’s a big reason why I wanted to stay here and build this club back to that level,” he said.

Last month the high-flying 27-year-old turned his back on free agency to sign a monster six-year deal with the GIANTS to remain at the club until the end of the 2029 season. As he prepares to celebrate game number 150 and qualify as a life member of the club, Himmelberg says belief in the GIANTS’ future is what won the battle over lucrative offers from rival clubs. “I think success is just around the corner at the footy club and it’s something I don’t want to miss out on,” Himmelberg said of his decision.

The GIANTS Academy product says he’s hoping to repay the club for the faith shown in him since he was a teenager. “The club means a lot to me and there was a lot of talk around being a free agent this year but when it came down to it, for me I really value the club and the way that they were able to give me a chance,” he said. “I wasn’t good enough [to get drafted] as an 18-year-old and they let me play in the GIANTS Academy as a 19-year-old and then play state [footy] through that pathway which was unusual. I probably credit the GIANTS and the Academy for how I got to the league. Now on my end, its repaying the club for that value they’ve showed in me.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile GIANTS star Harry Himmelberg was rewarded on Monday night for his high-flying antics, winning the 2023 Four’N Twenty Mark of the Year for his spectacular grab in round one against Adelaide. Holding two of the three finalist spots, with his huge hanger against Hawthorn in round five also in contention, Himmelberg’s monster speccy in the season-opener against the Crows was named the best of the season. The 27-year-old took home the Alex Jesaulenko Medal, $10,000, a pie warmer, and a year’s supply of pies thanks to Four’N Twenty for his efforts.

GWS swingman Harry Himmelberg is set to be embedded as a full-time defender in 2024.

The 27-year-old’s versatility has allowed the club’s coaches to use him up forward and down back throughout his career and while it’s benefitted the team, it’s never truly allowed the tall to nail one role. In 2023 alone, Himmelberg played much of the first half of the season as a forward before shifting down back where he showed signs of becoming an elite intercepting defender that can pick up high possession numbers.

After playing nearly a full season of footy in defence across patches in both 2022 and 2023, Himmelberg is ready to make the defensive 50 home as he looks to build on his connection with his backline teammates. “I don't think we're playing this game again this pre-season,” Himmelberg told SEN Breakfast. “I think I'll probably be starting down back. It'll be my first pre-season as a back.
I'm actually looking forward to training with the guys like Sammy Taylor, Jack Buckley, Connor Idun, ‘Whits’ (Lachie Whitfield) and ‘Pez’ (Harry Perryman). That’s no more chopping and changing in the middle of the year.”

Himmelberg and GWS’ first challenge in 2024 comes against the reigning premiers in Collingwood during Opening Round at GIANTS Stadium. Some hype has already been built around the fixture with Pies ruckman Mason Cox labelling GWS’ home ground as a ‘showground for livestock’ - which was in his eyes, in stark comparison to the NRL who are opening up their season in Las Vegas.
Himmelberg is looking forward to the clash and welcomed Cox’s comments, he just thinks the big Magpie now needs to back up his words with some actions on-field.

“We’re at the Showground for the first round of the year,” Himmelberg said. “It'll be awesome. I guess it’s the ultimate test against the reigning premiers. We'll definitely be looking forward to welcoming them for Opening Round. Hopefully we get a nice big crowd with the rugby league away and the supporters really come out and back us for a big year. I don't have much for him (Cox) to be honest. I think it's all fun and games. I mean, it's good banter, to be honest and if that creates an atmosphere around the game, then it does. I think you have every right to say what you want to say, but I guess you'd want to back it up.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back