Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

I hope in a month or two we can give this kid a proper debut, complete with loved ones present, a handful of possessions and a Gatorade shower!
I hope we never give anyone a game until they deserve one, regardless of how many loved ones want to to go and watch

I hope we never give anyone a game until they deserve one, regardless of how many loved ones want to to go and watch

I hope you'd turn up to my debut.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Look at the bright side Justin. Your mum and Dad probably haven't seen the replay yet.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Did you watch the Grand Tour?

Maybe a Sierra Cosworth
Don't mind the car shows but Jeremy, like his namesake at Hawthron, is becoming a bit old and tired. I have a fond spot fot the Mk 1 GT Cortina. My Dad bought one for my mum for a couple of hundred bucks as it was a bit of a wreck. In Grade 6 I wagged school and gave myself a driving lesson around the property. If I'd been caught I'd have been roasted. Man could that thing do a bunny hop.

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
Kid has been impressive.

Could he transition to be that explosive dynamic inside/outside midfielder we've been praying for? Looks to have a strong core as he has a knack of busting through tackles with his explosiveness and this will only get better with more time in the gym.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Kid has been impressive.

Could he transition to be that explosive dynamic inside/outside midfielder we've been praying for? Looks to have a strong core as he has a knack of busting through tackles with his explosiveness and this will only get better with more time in the gym.
I don't see him adding an inside game. That's ok, though, we have others better suited for the role, he can focus on the outside. What I like most about him is that he is a fast player that actually uses his speed to increase his impact on the game when he doesn't have ball in hand, creating contests that might otherwise have been uncontested possession for the opposition. He doesn't just try and turn on the jets when he has ball in hand and is streaming towards goal, which can be a bit of a tendency for other lightly built speedsters. He has definitely been one of the more positive aspects of this season so far.

Last edited:
He got lambasted after his first game.

Went back to the twos and any who watched him would have been impressed. Firstly he is smart and tough. Saw him bounce bounce back after being poleaxed several times - no complaints - and I think he quite enjoys tough footy. Secondly he is quick enough.

A random anecdote that highlights his improvement.

I know close family friends of his and they used to see just about every one of his games for the Knights and they were pretty adamant that they were not optimistic about him being drafted at all, at best he would get a sneaky rookie draft spot. They didn't believe it when he got drafted in the 3rd round.

Now he's looking close to a regular selection in only his 2nd season, and he has earned it too. Remarkable.

Back