Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

He's just got everything you want in a top shelf wingman. Poise, discipline to hold his width, footy IQ, great runner, goal-kicking nous. And he's got real swagger out there, not afraid of anything. Brings energy like Papley does. He's a beauty.

Also copped some heavy treatment and was not bothered in the slightest. I agree with you - he is a beauty!

Keep him ahead of Blakey every day of the week

Absolutely. I think it's easy to forget they are the same age and so there's no reason Blakey can't cement his spot on the wing just like McInerney in the future. But as of right now, McInerney is just a more developed and rounded wingman than Blakey.

Absolutely. I think it's easy to forget they are the same age and so there's no reason Blakey can't cement his spot on the wing just like McInerney in the future. But as of right now, McInerney is just a more developed and rounded wingman than Blakey.
I think they have been developed along quite different pathways.
Justin came into ressies under Laidler and started with a fair bit of hbf before moving up to the wing. He played a preseason game that I saw and was very disciplined on the right wing, positioned a full kick ahead of the play. He played pretty similar to that when he first came into seniors but is starting to roam a bit more, with licence I suspect. He is very disciplined.
Nick went straight into seniors as the third tall forward under Johnson. A very different school indeed. Some would argue (I would) that this was not great preparation to be a winger, or a hybrid mid.
Nick seems to.me to often be a bit undisciplined in his thinking (lack of composure?) where Justin isn't.
I'm sure the coaches are all well aware of whatever parts of this they see as true and are doing their best to deal with it.

I think they have been developed along quite different pathways.
Justin came into ressies under Laidler and started with a fair bit of hbf before moving up to the wing. He played a preseason game that I saw and was very disciplined on the right wing, positioned a full kick ahead of the play. He played pretty similar to that when he first came into seniors but is starting to roam a bit more, with licence I suspect. He is very disciplined.
Nick went straight into seniors as the third tall forward under Johnson. A very different school indeed. Some would argue (I would) that this was not great preparation to be a winger, or a hybrid mid.
Nick seems to.me to often be a bit undisciplined in his thinking (lack of composure?) where Justin isn't.
I'm sure the coaches are all well aware of whatever parts of this they see as true and are doing their best to deal with it.

I completely agree. I think sometimes players can actually have it easier by serving a reserves apprenticeship. McInerney spent his whole first season in the NEAFL. In his second year he was in and out of the senior team, and each time he went back to the reserves, he came back looking better each time. Even this year, because of his delayed pre-season, he actually got more time in the reserves practice matches before returning to the senior team in round 2. Overall that's five reserves stints in just over two years on the list. I think it just gave him plenty of opportunities to work on the areas of his game he needed to work on, at a level where it's easier to do that.

Blakey is trying to work on improving his own game, but it's so much harder to do that at the highest level. It's like trying to iron out the flaws in his individual game while also adhering to the structures and his role in the team's game. All the while under the more intense pressure of the highest quality opposition. It's very, very difficult, and why I don't lay into these young players when they're struggling, but why I do fervently argue in favour of them playing in the reserves if they're out of form.

There was some debate during the week about who should go out if Rowy had been fit for the Dons game. Plenty argued JMac should make way and others inc me argued Blakey should have a break.

For me the argument was clear. Hopefully the JMac naysayers saw enough to have a change of mind. I had him in my top 5 and most would have rated his game. For those who did not I suggest they watch a replay and observe not just the highlights (plenty) but how he patrolled and controlled his wing through hard running and clever positioning.

The kid is not a high profile first or second rounder, but I reckon like Dawson (pick 56) he will prove a diamond in the rough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid is a gem. Serious composure and class, similar to Gulden.

We’re very lucky that some of our most level headed players are also some of the youngest. McInerney, Gulden, Warner, McCartin, McDonald and even throw in Florent and Mills who aren’t exactly old.

We’re in such good hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was some debate during the week about who should go out if Rowy had been fit for the Dons game. Plenty argued JMac should make way and others inc me argued Blakey should have a break.

For me the argument was clear. Hopefully the JMac naysayers saw enough to have a change of mind. I had him in my top 5 and most would have rated his game. For those who did not I suggest they watch a replay and observe not just the highlights (plenty) but how he patrolled and controlled his wing through hard running and clever positioning.

The kid is not a high profile first or second rounder, but I reckon like Dawson (pick 56) he will prove a diamond in the rough.

I’m not sure there are many JMac “naysayers”. I said he might have gone out because that is what I thought the coaches might have done.

To his credit, JMac did everything to ensure that discussion doesn’t reoccur in the coming weeks.

Love JMac and have been bullish on him since his early games (you’ll find early arguments from me as to why JMac would make it but Stoddart wouldn’t).

What a long way he has come from when his name called out and a number of recruiters and commentators looked at each other and went “who”?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back