Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

Was in the JMac was better on the wing camp back when he and Dawson swapped in 2021 but you really saw his impact in this game and defence might be his better spot. Gives us another look to attack if Blakey has to play key defender if Ramps or someone else goes down

His endurance at the end when the rest of the team was cooked really helped us get over the line

And his desire to get and get the bloody ball in tight key moments, he just runs full peg into it

Was outstanding last night in defence. I agree, it’s slightly confusing as to why he has not had an extended run in the midfield, but after watching last night I think he needs to play defence.

His ability to win contests and to then counter punch with aggressive runs or kicks especially in the second half, was exceptional.

Is hard at the ball, shows great judgement of the ball in the air and keeps his feet. His disposal is elite also, has great touch.
I agree he did look terrific when he went down back, but I think he was essentially playing the Blakey role.

Blakey had to take on more of a tall defender role due to circumstances ( shortish backline, Rampe down and Essendon attempting to negate Blakey).

That midfield show v North and this game when moved down back makes me think he's a guy who thrives on responsibility and benefits from being given a clear role.
Very pleasing to see.

McInerney was really physical against Melbourne and I loved seeing it. His aggression around the ground at the man and ball was excellent. I also love him pushing forward, I think he can be a real asset forward of the ball with his size, running, and skill. He's a serious asset.

Where was that bit where he ran into Gawn and a free kick was paid against him? I remember it happening live but when I watched the replay it passed me by.

Is he becoming an A grader or am I just seeing it with rose coloured glasses.

He wasnt the BOG but in the third quarter where we stamped our foot down he led the charge imo.

Lifted similarly against Melbourne

He wasnt the BOG but in the third quarter where we stamped our foot down he led the charge imo.

I agree. There were a few that stood out more but he's developing into a really strong competitive player as far as I see.
One of the players I was worried about for them last night was Crisp.
I can see those traits with McInerney.
Not losing one on one's, holding tackles and aggressive run and carry with good decision making.

His presence as a physical midfielder, not just a wingman, has been really good. The return of Mills, Parker and Adams will be very interesting for how it affects ts the midfield time of McInerney and Jordon in particular imo. Their foot speed has added another edge in our midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. There were a few that stood out more but he's developing into a really strong competitive player as far as I see.
One of the players I was worried about for them last night was Crisp.
I can see those traits with McInerney.
Not losing one on one's, holding tackles and aggressive run and carry with good decision making.
Juzzy was terrific in 2022 but dropped off a bit last year like a few others. I may be wrong but I think he copped a dose of COVID. He seems to be back to his best covering the full length of the ground and making great decisions. Has been one of my faves since NEAFL days. super disciplined.

Bloody awesome kid JMac … he’s now officially my 2nd favourite Swan!
And did anyone catch his dad on Roaming Brian last night… what a ripper of a guy!

His presence as a physical midfielder, not just a wingman, has been really good. The return of Mills, Parker and Adams will be very interesting for how it affects ts the midfield time of McInerney and Jordon in particular imo. Their foot speed has added another edge in our midfield.

mcinerney is so physical for someone not built to be that physical
he tackles in a similar way to rowbottom, they tackle hard and they wrap and stick
and it's not just tackling, they're similar in that they do everything at full tilt ...
both players so important to our team

Love that he's a bit of a prick too. Between him Papley and Wicks we'll get under the skin of more than a few teams.

You need a bit of that. Most great sides have at least one player that the opposition can’t stand. None of them seem to do anything untoward so I’m ok with the antics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't realise he's 189cm tall. Good height for our midfield. If he ever fills out a bit then wow wee. Love his ferocity at the contest but get worried he could snap in half at anytime. Has a bit of rockstar about him. Love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back