Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Absolutely deserving good on him.

Just a shout out to our recruiters as I got the impression his selection (particularly in the main draft) was a bit left field / unexpected. Look to have absolutely nailed this one.
Heard the commentators mention that he was struggling to get a game in the 1st 18 at Marcellin in high school. Seems to be another late developer. I think he's got some great attributes to be a solid player. He's quick, hard at it and uses the ball well. Just got to keep improving and developing and we might have another good one here. I thought he was Ok early in the season but in the meantime he has obviously worked on a few things, stayed positive and come back with renewed purpose. Good on the kid!

There’s just something about him a certain je nais se quoi that makes me love him. Yes he has the pace and athletic ability, great kicking skills (btw after yesterday has kicked 8 goals 0 behinds) but also has a tough edge to his game as he isn’t afraid to get stuck in.

Back