Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The Sydney Swans have selected Justin McInerney with pick 44 in the 2018 National Draft.

Justin McInerney

Club: Northern Knights
Position: Wingman

A speedy outside midfielder with slick skills by hand and foot. His work ethic always impressed his coaches throughout his junior years and that shines through with the enormous amount of running he's able to churn through in a game. Has made a name for himself in the TAC Cup.

What they said

“He got an opportunity in the pre-season and when he was available, he made an impact. His kicking, running and dash really elevated him.” (Knights coach Justin Wenke)

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-11-23/pick-44-justin-mcinerney

Can't say much about him given the AFL website and the Swans website do not have a video of him, nor does youtube, but Sheehan clearly seemed to believe he was a good player and his bio certainly sounds promising (though it isn't going to mention his negative points). His bio and coach actually make him sound a bit like Florent.

Either way, welcome to the Swans, and I really hope someone can find a video of him, or perhaps the Swans could post one.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/justin-mcinerney/

Height 187cm
Weight 72kg

STRENGTHS: Speed, transition, kicking, disposal efficiency
IMPROVEMENTS: Consistency, contested ball

SUMMARY: Flying Northern wingman Justin McInerney has come a long way over the last two years to catch the eye with standout performances at school level for Marcellin, while also showing glimpses at TAC Cup level more recently. The Banyule junior was the Knights’ only Victorian State Combine representative this year, putting in an outstanding return in the 20m sprint (3.01 seconds) and solid one in the Yo-yo test (20.80) to show off his overall running ability. McInerney’s pace on the outside is his obvious strength, often utilised on a wing or across half-back to initiate attacks and rebound. While his game is mostly outside at the moment, McInerney has also showed a good knack for cracking in and is not afraid of winning the hard ball, but could work on doing it more often if he is to move into the centre bounces. At 75 per cent, his disposal efficiency is very good, with his kicking proving to be particularly damaging in transition. For all of his shining traits, McInerney still has a little to work on in the way of consistency and accumulation, as coaches would look for players with such potency to find the ball as much as possible.

Averages
Disposals 16.4
Marks 4.6
Tackles 2.3
I50 2.1
R50 2.6

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Out of the players we drafted in the national draft today this is the guy I am least certain about mostly because there is so little information about him. The Swans did not even have a video they could show of him on their website.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/justin-mcinerney-stunned-as-the-swans-swoop/

Speaking an hour after his name was called out, McInerney said it was still pretty surreal.

“I thought I would go later in the draft,” he said. “More like pick 60 than pick 44.

“I had spoken to Sydney, They were the first club I spoke to and they spoke to me again on Tuesday.

“Dad jumped out of his seat and mum was sitting there in disbelief. My brother Chris was getting around me.

“I spoke to the welfare manger and the coach and got a couple of texts from the other coaches.

“John said he was rapt to have me on board and thought I was a good fit and was asking about my family.”

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/justin-mcinerney-stunned-as-the-swans-swoop/

Speaking an hour after his name was called out, McInerney said it was still pretty surreal.

“I thought I would go later in the draft,” he said. “More like pick 60 than pick 44.

“I had spoken to Sydney, They were the first club I spoke to and they spoke to me again on Tuesday.

“Dad jumped out of his seat and mum was sitting there in disbelief. My brother Chris was getting around me.

“I spoke to the welfare manger and the coach and got a couple of texts from the other coaches.

“John said he was rapt to have me on board and thought I was a good fit and was asking about my family.”

Seems like a good guy. Very pleased to have him in the red and white.

Out of the players we drafted in the national draft today this is the guy I am least certain about mostly because there is so little information about him. The Swans did not even have a video they could show of him on their website.

http://nthknights.com.au/2018-knights-draft-results/

Good video and report here. He was training this past week with the pre season squad for 2019 as a top ager, he is a later bloomer who probably has a load of upside. Could end up being a very shrewd pick.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Christ I feel old. I was 19 when he was born and here he is being drafted into the AFL....

All the best to him. Seems a bit of a punt given there isn't much exposed form, but lets see what he can do.
I’m same age as you, someone said to my wife last night, he’s not bad looking... for an old guy. Cop that backhand son.

More upside than Deano!! it looks like there will be a few coming out of the Knights program over the next 2 drafts. They have some very good kids in the top and bottom age groups coming through. Also, there were 6 former Northern Knights players in the 2017 Tigers premiership side.

Jimbo OZ

Team Captain
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
http://nthknights.com.au/2018-knights-draft-results/

Good video and report here. He was training this past week with the pre season squad for 2019 as a top ager, he is a later bloomer who probably has a load of upside. Could end up being a very shrewd pick.
I’m wondering if this is one of our moneyball selections. Due to his late addition, a lot of recruiters wouldn’t have had him on the radar but the GPS stats and analysis from or new data man might’ve thrown some light his way. From the video, he has a very nice kick - he seems to take it like a lefty but with his right leg. He’s the right-legged Rampe.

Johnboi

All Australian
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Just looking at that video package, I'm actually excited. He looks like he has good vision for a kid his age. If he continues improving and stands up to the rigours of senior footy, he could be an astute pick by our recruitment team.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Good luck to the kid but it seems like a massive risk...would have easily been there at the rookie draft...struggled to get a game for his school this year by all reports

How do you know he would have easily been there at the rookie draft?

The article said he was spoken to by a few clubs so what inside knowledge do you have that they only saw him as a rookie?

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Our list managers backing their ability to determine quality without the blowtorch of U18 championship form. Ie eyeballing it and data assessment. That they backed themselves using pick 44 is a indication how keen The gps figures (said to be off the chart) must have been exceptional- afl standard. His disposal and spatial awareness looks good. His 20metre sprint and yo yo test times are good without threatening top tier afl combine. In short I back our list managers to know what cuts it. We may very well have picked up a top level smokey here. Welcome on board Justin...enjoy the ride

Last edited:
Ha ha... are people seriousy saying it's a huge risk to take someone at pick 44 in the draft?

In fairness, there’s a lot to live up to. A pick in the 40s for us is our equivalent of every other club’s first round pick.

Back