Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

Tuhob

Debutant
Dec 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chelsea
Looks like the afl.com.au draft tracker has updated Justin's profile with a video. It looks like extended footage from 2 matches (some vision already seen in the northern knights video but also some extra video from the same match). From the vision you could imagine him as a line-breaking long kicking winger/half-back flanker. Seems to actually make some good decisions under pressure. Other thing of note is his running as there are some passages where you see him start the chain and get it further up the ground.

Last edited:
Looks like the afl.com.au draft tracker has updated Justin's profile with a video. It looks like extended footage from 2 matches (some vision already seen in the northern knights video but also some extra video from the same match). From the vision you could imagine him as a line-breaking long kicking winger/half-back flanker. Seems to actually make some good decisions under pressure. Other thing of note is his running as there are some passages where you see him start the chain and get it further up the ground.

Not unlike Kennerley who I was also keen on. But given he didn’t go til pick 50, I’m gonna back the club’s call. Intrigued to see how he develops in the NEAFL.

I think you have your top 5 & then it's a lottery really. Always has been with the odd exception year.

Reality is after 30-35 it really evened out. You could make cases for 100 players after that. It is probably a huge reason we wanted 2 picks inside 25 (Blakely and Rowbottom)

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Please excuse while I veer off topic here...

Another thread and more references to Moneyball. I’m at my limit on the word Moneyball. Every flippin draftee is on the same wage, there’s no money variation on any of these pick ups so the term is not valid.

Moneyball has now overtaken craft as my hated word of the draft. Both are thoroughly overused

Jimbo OZ

Team Captain
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Please excuse while I veer off topic here...

Another thread and more references to Moneyball. I’m at my limit on the word Moneyball. Every flippin draftee is on the same wage, there’s no money variation on any of these pick ups so the term is not valid.

Moneyball has now overtaken craft as my hated word of the draft. Both are thoroughly overused

I guess people are using the word moneyball instead of sabermetrics or performance-based scouting. You are right that money has little to do with the drafting (apart from the difference in rookie contracts) but it does seem that players are being drafted more based on data including GPS numbers than traditional “to the eye” scouting. McInerney seems to fall into this category.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned somewhere before but there is a great interview on Ted Richards’s podcast with the new data analyst at the Swans in case anyone is interested.

but there is a great interview on Ted Richards’s podcast with the new data analyst at the Swans in case anyone is interested.

People aren't.

Fun fact: If people don't understand something, its labelled as "crap".

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
looks a million bucks when he's running with a football, like the interview and looking forward to watching this guy play.

Great story:
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-12-04/mcinerneys-journey-to-the-swans

"When both Kinnear Beatson and Simon Dalrymple rate a player that highly, you know he's probably going to turn out to be a pretty good player," Gieschen said.

"Those guys are two of the best there's ever been in the recruiting game. I actually said to him on the phone that when those two guys rate you that highly and they take you … it's going to be pretty handy going into the future.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
looks a million bucks when he's running with a football, like the interview and looking forward to watching this guy play.

Great story:
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-12-04/mcinerneys-journey-to-the-swans

"When both Kinnear Beatson and Simon Dalrymple rate a player that highly, you know he's probably going to turn out to be a pretty good player," Gieschen said.

"Those guys are two of the best there's ever been in the recruiting game. I actually said to him on the phone that when those two guys rate you that highly and they take you … it's going to be pretty handy going into the future.
Plays a lot like Sam Murray

In fairness, there’s a lot to live up to. A pick in the 40s for us is our equivalent of every other club’s first round pick.
Was thinking exactly the same thing... Adam Goodes (43) or Luke Parker (40) anyone?

Back