Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

I remember my missus, who is a big fashion fan, made me sit down and watch Youtube compilations of Naomi Campbell walking on a runway. Mind-numbing stuff at first, but she kinda opened my eyes a little to how something as rudimentary as walking could look like an art-form when the right person is doing it.

I get a similar vibe from McInerney when it comes to running. Everyone does it in footy, but he seems to make it look absolutely effortless. He just sorta glides across the turf and you don't really see him taking steps, you just see his feet turning behind him like wheels as he gets from A to B. He is just a very smooth operator.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
His multiple efforts in the chain which led to the first goal of the day from Amartey on Sunday were so slick. Worth a look if possible

Pick 44. How on earth.

Edit: Looking back at the 2018 draft and it's very very strong. Makes more sense when you see how many good players were selected.

I remember my missus, who is a big fashion fan, made me sit down and watch Youtube compilations of Naomi Campbell walking on a runway. Mind-numbing stuff at first, but she kinda opened my eyes a little to how something as rudimentary as walking could look like an art-form when the right person is doing it.

I get a similar vibe from McInerney when it comes to running. Everyone does it in footy, but he seems to make it look absolutely effortless. He just sorta glides across the turf and you don't really see him taking steps, you just see his feet turning behind him like wheels as he gets from A to B. He is just a very smooth operator.

Mcinnerneys draft profile did have Naomi Campbell as his player comparison in the mock drafts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Just wait until he puts on some size, will be an absolute weapon!

Also, 4th rising star nomination in one season. What's the afl record for clubs with the most rising star noms in one season?

Just read the 8 pages from his drafting. He has become one of my favourite players and not just because of his athleticism, nous and ball use.

It is his physical and mental toughness and team focus that impresses me the most. He has copped a bit of physical attention but never whinges. He pops up and gets on with it.

** It probably helps that I have boozed on in Cork, Dublin and Galway with various fellas that look like his great grand dads **

Remove this Banner Ad

Back