Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

I’m same age as you, someone said to my wife last night, he’s not bad looking... for an old guy. Cop that backhand son.
You're both Spring Chickens. How do you think I feel? I am 65. I've had 2.5 lifetimes up to the stage of his birth lol. As for 'Good looking for an old guy' it is sort of a compliment. So, get used to it, as it will happen a lot more as you age. When you have to start worrying is when they start asking 'Who that Gross old man in the corner is?' Some children simply have no empathy nor have they ever heard of the saying 'hold your tongue'

You're both Spring Chickens. How do you think I feel? I am 65. I've had 2.5 lifetimes up to the stage of his birth lol. As for 'Good looking for an old guy' it is sort of a compliment. So, get used to it, as it will happen a lot more as you age. When you have to start worrying is when they start asking 'Who that Gross old man in the corner is?' Some children simply have no empathy nor have they ever heard of the saying 'hold your tongue'
🙋‍♂️ 70

Have a friend who is struggling with it. Is a teacher and has only been able to work part time at most the past term.

He isn’t a pro athlete but pretty fit and he has lost pretty much all his stamina. Said it would take him a couple of hours to recover from running 20m.
I am 65 and Long COVID is terrible. Breathing was never that good because I was a smoker for over 30 years. Asthma, slight Emphysema but this shite and the pains in the effing lungs. It just doesn't go away. Not easily anyway. There are treatments. There are times when things are ok. But when they aren't the lethargy gets to me and I fall asleep even doing this

I am 65 and Long COVID is terrible. Breathing was never that good because I was a smoker for over 30 years. Asthma, slight Emphysema but this shite and the pains in the effing lungs. It just doesn't go away. Not easily anyway. There are treatments. There are times when things are ok. But when they aren't the lethargy gets to me and I fall asleep even doing this
So sorry to hear this. Sucks totally.

Anyone else feel that Juzzy was a bit underwhelming last year? Love the way he goes about it, expresses himself on the paddock so well. However finishing 3rd in the rising star in 2021, we expected a bit of a steady incline last year but we didn't see it. He wasn't awful or anything he was just average, struggled to get the ball enough. Seemed that he couldn't get going when he got COVID.

He for me needs to lift a bit this year, don't want him falling down into mediocrity cause we know he can play.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel that Juzzy was a bit underwhelming last year? Love the way he goes about it, expresses himself on the paddock so well. However finishing 3rd in the rising star in 2021, we expected a bit of a steady incline last year but we didn't see it. He wasn't awful or anything he was just average, struggled to get the ball enough.

He for me needs to lift a bit this year, don't want him falling down into mediocrity cause we know he can play.
He wasn't the same after he got COVID and got a haircut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else feel that Juzzy was a bit underwhelming last year? Love the way he goes about it, expresses himself on the paddock so well. However finishing 3rd in the rising star in 2021, we expected a bit of a steady incline last year but we didn't see it. He wasn't awful or anything he was just average, struggled to get the ball enough.

He for me needs to lift a bit this year, don't want him falling down into mediocrity cause we know he can play
Had an injury, covid, and a haircut. Of course he struggled with all that going against him. He still put in effort, that was made perfectly clear in the prelim, but he clearly wasn't himself

Agree RilesMacca, after 2021 I thought his form in 2022 was a little disappointing (acknowledging covid & injury were factors). I think we'll finally see the progress we expected last year... he might be a bit of a bolter in the most improved category in 2023.

If you go back I think I was the first sticker for this bloke. Others here satirised his one hand pass debut. I defended him. I noted he made position but was ignored by elite decision makers Kennedy, Parker and Lloyd.

He went back to the twos and impressed (ignored by you folk) Came back in 2021 and cemented his spot. But really where is his spot under the Horse regime?

Had an interrupted 2022 and form dipped. Had a magic quarter v Norf when chucked in the mids. it never happened again

His 2022 Finals campaign was poor and not just in the GF.

For me he is one of our few game breakers on our list and yet I am pessimistic he will be allowed to show it.

I have little doubt he will be offered mega bucks to return to Vic in the trade period. Wherever he goes he will be a star.

If you go back I think I was the first sticker for this bloke. Others here satirised his one hand pass debut. I defended him. I noted he made position but was ignored by elite decision makers Kennedy, Parker and Lloyd.

He went back to the twos and impressed (ignored by you folk) Came back in 2021 and cemented his spot. But really where is his spot under the Horse regime?

Had an interrupted 2022 and form dipped. Had a magic quarter v Norf when chucked in the mids. it never happened again

For me he is one of our few game breakers on our list and yet I am pessimistic he will be allowed to show it.

I have little doubt he will be offered mega bucks to return to Vic in the trade period. Wherever he goes he will be a star.
I remember that first pre-season hitout when much of the hype was about Blakey, but it was McInerney who stood out more to me. It was the first I'd ever seen of him and he seemed to have that Pendlebury-esque ability to stop time and play around him when he had the ball, which instantly won me over.

We've seen it pretty much consistently ever since, save for his 2022 campaign which was derailed by his injury in round 1. If your ability to train properly is impacted, you'll get worse as the season goes on, which is what we saw with McInerney last year - a gradual decline after his first two stellar games. I am absolutely confident he'll be back to his best this year, and Horse will give him every chance to do so. The club loves him, they signed him for four years.

I remember that first pre-season hitout when much of the hype was about Blakey, but it was McInerney who stood out more to me. It was the first I'd ever seen of him and he seemed to have that Pendlebury-esque ability to stop time and play around him when he had the ball, which instantly won me over.

We've seen it pretty much consistently ever since, save for his 2022 campaign which was derailed by his injury in round 1. If your ability to train properly is impacted, you'll get worse as the season goes on, which is what we saw with McInerney last year - a gradual decline after his first two stellar games. I am absolutely confident he'll be back to his best this year, and Horse will give him every chance to do so. The club loves him, they signed him for four years.

Yep solo won us that almost-disaster game against North in the 4th quarter. If he can get to that level consistently this year.. oh boy

They can offer him whatever. He is contracted until the end of 2026.

Not sure you were the only fan.

Seriously what is going on with JMac at the moment? He looks barely at VFL standard, let alone AFL standard.

Form is temporary, but he has been well out of it for a long while now. I'd be happy to drop most of the team after last night's mess if we had the cattle, but surely a few weeks in ressies building up some confidence would do him the world of good. Offering absolutely nothing at the moment - noting playing on the wings/outside player when your midfield is doing its best impression of an U/6's Auskick side isn't easy.

He may not be the superstar that some think he is. His form has been consistent for the last 12 months. Not terrible but nothing special. Like Stephens on the other wing he’s only as good as the inside mids. Expecting the outside runners to carry a team is a tough ask. Maybe they could put him through the middle a little more.

He may not be the superstar that some think he is. His form has been consistent for the last 12 months. Not terrible but nothing special. Like Stephens on the other wing he’s only as good as the inside mids. Expecting the outside runners to carry a team is a tough ask. Maybe they could put him through the middle a little more.

His last good game he played was against North where he famously said to longmire put me in the middle and I will win the game.

Maybe your onto something!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back