Senior 27. Marc Pittonet

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty neat to be having a conversation about who is our best recruit for the year, what an influence these 2 blokes are having!!
say it out loud, brother.........

This will all play out. SOS (and let's not forget the recruiting team as we don't know the spotters) has potentially saved his best draft/trade
period until last.
Jack Martin - salary cap only. Sublime player, now fully invested and exploring his role.
Marc Pittonet - packet of chips. Traded him in both forms of fantasy I play expecting at least solid return. TDK "cursing", has a big hurdle to jump now.
Eddie Betts - returned for a packet of chips, with a refill from the vendor.
Sam Philp - young jet, hard at it. Pushing hard for a debut despite plenty of other young and more mature talent competing with him.
Josh Honey - the biggest surprise for me, but shouldn't be with his pedigree. Shaping as a chance to make a Papley trade unnecessary/redundant.
Sam Ramsay - may be behind the other two young 'uns at the moment, but seriously promising in his own right. Midfield or backline significant player.
Fraser Phillips - hits the scoreboard, dead eye dick in fact, smooth mover, beast in the weights room apparently.
Brodie Kemp - loses a season, but was seriously the only rival Rowell had for Pick 1 before his ACL. Big chance of being the jewel in the crown.

Note: this is without factoring in the acquisition of Stocker last year utilising future pick trade from.

Plenty to play out, but salivating to think that for a body of work, may be SOS's best performance. Feasible, and I for one am really hoping for it
to play out.

What we have seen from Martin I think is what we were expecting. We knew we were recruiting somebody with star qualities.

If Pittonet continues to show what he has been for the remainder of the season, as someone we really had no great expectations of, I think he could easily be considered our recruit of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside, looks like Honey is this years “guy to be extraordinarily over hyped by the Carlton faithful despite zero evidence to base a decision on.”
Sweet

1. Philp
2. Honey
3. Martin
4. Pittonet

But seriously, if Pittonet is our best recruit this year (ahead of Martin), we might just make f....fi....fina.........can't quite say it.

Some of the highlights from the practice game vs Geelong Philp looked amazing.

Will be hard to make a change this week but on limited footage and from the coaches comments looks like he will debut soon.

As an aside, looks like Honey is this years “guy to be extraordinarily over hyped by the Carlton faithful despite zero evidence to base a decision on.”

We could say the same for every new player, but the thing with Honey is that as a rookie, it may be fair not to expect much at all.
If it was Kemp or Philp (players taken top 20) then maybe we'd expect to see what we're seeing with Honey.

Forget the 'hype' on this board, but look at who was named as an emergency last week. Surely that alone says something.

Big Pitt has been a revelation no doubt (his nonno will be proud) but the recruit of the year is and will be Martin.
This guy is already in our top 5 best players (talent wise) and you could mount an argument for top 3.
Aggression, vision, left foot right foot, speed, class the kid has it all.
The fact we got him for free and we are paying "top dollar" this year and then pretty much average after that is a bonus.

We could say the same for every new player, but the thing with Honey is that as a rookie, it may be fair not to expect much at all.
If it was Kemp or Philp (players taken top 20) then maybe we'd expect to see what we're seeing with Honey.

Forget the 'hype' on this board, but look at who was named as an emergency last week. Surely that alone says something.

It does say something, that's true. But the difference is a Philp has objective evidence of at least one AFL quality trait (speed/running), so I could understand it more if people were getting too excited.

It does say something, that's true. But the difference is a Philp has objective evidence of at least one AFL quality trait (speed/running), so I could understand it more if people were getting too excited.

Kemp has AFL quality traits that were evident through his junior years.
Philp does have the speed but so did Joel Wilkinson. Philp did have the runs on the board last year though.

Honey to me at least, was somewhat unexpected. Jeremias was a fan before the draft, but I didn't see what he saw.
I did see him through the pre-season though and thought to myself; How did this guy go as a rookie. This guy has 'it'.

So, in now way am I suggesting he'll be better than Kemp nor Philp, but he genuinely surprised me and seems to be surprising the CFC also.

Fair. And to be clear, I'm not suggesting there is any issue with him, just that he's not figuring in my thinking until he plays and we see something. This is a bloke taken in the rookie draft...

To me, one of the best things about our current list and the depth we've built is not having to look at every new draftee as a saviour!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back