27 - redman.jpg

Contract Status: Free Agent 2028
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 24, ghostdog

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
Drafted 2015 (same year as Parish and Francis), so I think he must be a free agent next time he's out of contract... Probably not restricted either.
Yeah he'll be a free agent when his contract comes up in 2023. Wouldn't be shocked if Parish did a two year extension for the same reason.

But at least Parish will probably be a restricted free agent based on how much they'll have to pay him after how he's played since Round 3.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought there was a pay criteria as well, if you werenā€™t oneof the highest paid players at a club you just went straight to UFA.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
no one signs for more than 2 years when they are about to become a free agent. Parish most likely signs for 2 aswell.
I agree in general, but there are exceptions and Parish might be one. Depending on what is being offered by the club per year his stocks might be peaking right now. Guaranteeing that money for longer if it's available now could be the smart thing to do. A lot can happen in 2 years with form or injury.

With Redman it makes perfect sense. Sign on for a reasonable amount with a chance to increase your value.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
This is a huge resigning. Fit and firing he has made losing Saad and McKenna a distant memory in only 3 months of footy.
Saad + McKenna w/Gleeson -> Hind + Redman w/Heppell
much of a muchness. Hats off to the club on responding to that level of loss.

Hooker + Hurley -> Stewart + Laverde

quite the transformation.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Great news that he's signed.

To put his last five weeks into another context, if he had played similarly from RDs 1-11 of the year, he would be the second-best general defender on the AFL player ratings*. It would also give us four gen-defs in the top 20 (along with Hind, Ridley and Heppell).

*Yes they're not perfect or anything but they can be an interesting indicator

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Back in form now. Great to see.

So many players have improved out of sight in this year. Suspect there are a few factors:

• no hubs (once teams were out of finals race, they fell off a cliff).
  • Injection of quality draftees.
  • Clear game plan, good communication with Rutten.
  • Players enjoying footy again, playing for the coach.
  • The whole club environment, focus on history, past players involved in jumper presentations all adds to the sense of belonging, can't be underestimated.

At a team level, Redman speaks of ā€œreally honest discussionsā€ led by incoming senior coach Ben Rutten, which got to the bottom of the sideā€™s 2020 malaise and left the group with clear heads and a clean slate for a new campaign. Rutten worked hard to improve the clubā€™s culture and, as Redman puts it, connecting the modern-day Bombers to ā€œwhat makes Essendon, Essendonā€.

And on the personal front, Essendon high-performance staff Sean Murphy and Des Oā€™Sullivan developed an off-season fitness program for Redman, one he augmented with private sessions almost every weekday of his break period back in Adelaide with strength and conditioning coach Ben Braithwaite.

ā€œI kind of wished I did that in the past,ā€ Redman said.

ā€œYou see the guys in American sports, the best of them like LeBron James and Tom Brady, they preach about investing back into your body.

ā€œIt didnā€™t matter how much it was going to cost...I knew that the benefits would come. Well I didnā€™t know at the time that the benefits were going to come, but I was backing in that the benefits were going to come from investing in my body.ā€

50 games interview thing. Quite interesting

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Never cared much for him.

Eyes open to how good he is now.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Awesome, particularly in the air tonight.

Knew he was good in the air but really took it on last night. Only shaded Jayden Laverde (6) with intercept marks (5) last night whilst he equaled Jayden for intercept possessions across the match (8).

Was genuinely surprised to see he had 25 possessions last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back