AFL Player #27: Mason Redman šŸ•

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do I get the feeling another club was sniffing around?

Not too sure about that, the kid still had another year to run and has played three games. Would not have been really high on any radar other than to say he is one of around 50 or 60 young blokes with potential.

For me, this was a bit random. He is already a contracted player for next year. He isnt playing seniors atm and we extend his contract 2 years? That seems odd. Especially since we have so many uncontracted players to sign. The 5 suspended players, BJ and Laverde should take a higher priority i would've thought. Don't get me wrong, i am a fan of Mason's and i think he will be a solid player for us and I am happy he is committed to us. But i find it a bit odd we were so keen to extend his contract even before parish or Francis. Anyway, i hope some key signings will join him soon and i hope Mason can show us a few more glimpses of his talent in the seniors for the remainder of the season

For me, this was a bit random. He is already a contracted player for next year. He isnt playing seniors atm and we extend his contract 2 years? That seems odd. Especially since we have so many uncontracted players to sign. The 5 suspended players, BJ and Laverde should take a higher priority i would've thought. Don't get me wrong, i am a fan of Mason's and i think he will be a solid player for us and I am happy he is committed to us. But i find it a bit odd we were so keen to extend his contract even before parish or Francis. Anyway, i hope some key signings will join him soon and i hope Mason can show us a few more glimpses of his talent in the seniors for the remainder of the season

I dont think we were keen to extend his contract before anyone else it just happened that way. some negotiations are far quicker than others. Maybe his management approached the club. Maybe Parish has his eye on moving to collingwood the team he barracked for after his rookie contract? sorry just being cheeky. that would suck!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with us travelling to Adelaide this weekend.

Mason is from SA and it's quite possible we chucked a contract in front of him incase he started getting cold feet about living in Melbourne after going home and seeing his family.

Not too sure about that, the kid still had another year to run and has played three games. Would not have been really high on any radar other than to say he is one of around 50 or 60 young blokes with potential.

North were gunning for him according to a mate of mine who is in the inner sanctum of North, said Port were also chasing him.

Thought exactly the same thing!

Was mentioned the other day in an article that the club has started negotiations on extending Parish contract.

You know they actually negotiate more than one contract simultaneously? Not just make a pile in order of priority and pick from the top...
BJ, Laverde, Parish, Francis, the suspended players and more would all be in discussion already. Non-issue.

Was really impressed with Redman's game yesterday.

He was strong overhead and over the ball despite a frame that was much lighter than his opponents, ran hard and used the ball well.

There have been 4 or 5 quarters I have seen him play this year when he has basically controlled the forward line. He either is always taking a mark in space while on the lead inside 50 or is the conduit for all meaningful forward entries.

While I would not discount him playing on a wing, or even at half back, he is everything that I want from a half forward (fast, hard running and a genuine mid-sized marking, ground level player).

The forwardline needs the most work and is the part of the ground that will benefit most from the development of a combination of permanent players. Redman is clearly one of the most natural/talented forward players on the list and ought to be selected, I expect that his performances will justify his selection anyway, as one of the permanent forwards to develop a combination with Daniher, Fantasia, Hooker and Langford/Laverde.

Everything Bruno wrote is correct. However, I'd add that he has a lot of campaigner about him. He is going to be that hard working half forward who will be the link in many chains forward. Working alongside Daniher and Fantasia we will be able to play fast forward to Hooker, Walla and whoever else is up there.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Was in the group of players who stepped up when the game was in the balance, showed a lot of character.

I hope this never say die attitude can become a feature in our next gen players.

Great game Mason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back