AFL Player #27: Mason Redman šŸ•

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon we should bring in Myers in big body tall mid with a lethal foot.

I'm a Myers fan but I think he plays VFL on Saturday and comes in for the Melbourne match the following Sunday. There will be guys playing on Tuesday that won't get up for the Melbourne match so Myers will be a handy inclusion then after dusting off the cobwebs this week in VFL.

Reckon we should bring in Myers in big body tall mid with a lethal foot.
Mate, the solution to everything isn't "bring them in".

Myers is coming back from injury and needs a VFL run first.

Anyway, we can discuss Myers more in his thread. ;)

I'm a Myers fan but I think he plays VFL on Saturday and comes in for the Melbourne match the following Sunday. There will be guys playing on Tuesday that won't get up for the Melbourne match so Myers will be a handy inclusion then after dusting off the cobwebs this week in VFL.
VFL game is on Sunday :p

Bit worried about this guys progression thought he'd be one of our better VFL players based on what we saw last year.
It's his first game back from a groin injury. Hardly panic stations.

He should of kicked 3 or 4 goals but made things harder then they needed to be and stuffed things up. He's young I'm sure he'll get it together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People being negative on this kid based on today!?

Got his hands on the football in dangerous spots on the ground. Probably rushed a bit but its his first game of the year so i'm sure he will work on it.

I'm a big fan! Knows where to run and when and wouldn't be surprised if he's playing seniors by the end of the year.

Looks a natural footballer with some elite attributes.

Eyebrow raising performance, shown glimpses of lots of little tricks before but really put it all together today. Burst out of the midfield a few times, tackled hard, was dangerous forward. Really changed my perspective on the player he could become.

He played in defence today.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

He played all over.

I will say I wasn't tracking his starting position too often but he certainly picked up alot of possessions in every area of the ground, noticed him mostly forward of wing kicking inside 50 and then pushing up providing an option, so I assume whatever it was he was given license to roam.

Last edited:
He played all over.

I will say I wasn't tracking his starting position too often but he certainly picked up alot of possessions in every area of the ground, noticed him mostly forward of wing kicking inside 50 and then pushing up providing an option, so I assume whatever it was he was given license to roam.
I think he will be an Yeo style half back.

I initially thought of Redman as more of a forward, and he put together some impressive quarters last year, but I think the more recent switch to defence is a better fit for the list and a better use of his talents (given that in the immediate future he is competing with Laverde and Begley to play as a half forward).

He has the physical attributes to play as 'small defender' and I think that he is a smart enough player to be able to play on a dangerous opponent and to work off that opponent to find the ball himself.

I'd like to see him settled in defence and for him to be developed to play the small defenders role Baguley plays. The most obvious spots in defence that will free up would be McGrath (following a move up the ground) and/or Kelly (following requirement) but I'd want more from him than to play just as a half back. While I'm open to McGrath staying in defence for a few years it seems inevitable that he will move into the middle. Having another player who can shut down a small forward and still counter-attack would be invaluable.

I initially thought of Redman as more of a forward, and he put together some impressive quarters last year, but I think the more recent switch to defence is a better fit for the list and a better use of his talents (given that in the immediate future he is competing with Laverde and Begley to play as a half forward).

He has the physical attributes to play as 'small defender' and I think that he is a smart enough player to be able to play on a dangerous opponent and to work off that opponent to find the ball himself.

I'd like to see him settled in defence and for him to developed to play the small defenders role Baguley plays.
I have a lot of time for Redman, showed an ability to play back, wing and forward in his juniors. I havnt seen him play in defence at VFL level yet ill have to watch his game from the weekend asap

I have a lot of time for Redman, showed an ability to play back, wing and forward in his juniors. I havnt seen him play in defence at VFL level yet ill have to watch his game from the weekend asap

He was physically immature so it's meant that his development has been a slower burn but he is similar to Fantasia and Gleeson in the sense that at VFL level as a 18-20yo there is nothing about his game that is not high quality (except the level of his physical development).

Kicking, marking, speed, acceleration, read of the game, ability to play a role and apparent running capacity all lend themselves to being a good footballer. He's going to fill out a lot quicker too. While they are very different players he shares Fantasia's ability to hit the ball cleanly at speed.

He's a guy I can see being the surprise packet of 2018 (assuming that he doesn't force his way into the side this year). A solid pre-season and he is as likely as any kid we have to start round 1 2018 and fans will quickly come to understand why we took him instead of some more fancied kids in the second round.

Last edited:
I just hope we settle him in one spot.

I reckon he's got ability in absolute spades and a move onto a wing or a back flank really looks to suit him, passes the eye test for sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back