AFL Player #27: Mason Redman šŸ•

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly a smart footballer, hard at it, can play a range of positions, disposal lets him down regularly, strong over head.

All similar qualities to Ashby.
Disposal lets him down regularly? Not so sure about that part. And his overhead ability is one of his weaker points honestly. Ashby struggled to play outside defence too.

Also, Redman is a lot more aggressive than Ashby.

Disposal lets him down regularly? Not so sure about that part. And his overhead ability is one of his weaker points honestly. Ashby struggled to play outside defence too.

Also, Redman is a lot more aggressive than Ashby.

I rate Redman's marking ability on a lead. I just think the way Begley came in as a first year player and jumped clear ahead of Redman is a bad sign and similar to the way Gleeson came in and jumped straight ahead of Ashby.

An interesting year ahead, wonder if he can be converted into an inside midfielder?
I am looking forward to being able to go to VFL games, because of players like Redman.

An interesting year ahead, wonder if he can be converted into an inside midfielder?
I am looking forward to being able to go to VFL games, because of players like Redman.
If we can convert Alwyn Davy into a key forward we can convert Mason into a midfielder

Absolutely convertable.

I think the issue with him is he seems to have quite a lot of quiet days where he's pretty invisible. I think he's a pretty good ball user and has good size, reasonable pace etc. He's a bit like Langford - the question is can he stamp himself on a game?

Time is in his favour but I'm not sure I see him coming straight into the seniors next year. I would be betting on Ridley or Francis ahead of him down back.

Chuck him on the wing.

Clearly a smart footballer, hard at it, can play a range of positions, disposal lets him down regularly, strong over head.

All similar qualities to Ashby.

Ashby was slow as a wet week and a shocking kick and couldn't play any role other than tagger or small defender either, and even then his lack of pace meant he was probably going to get torched most of the time anyway.

Redman's already shown he can play forward and back, is a serious athlete and competent with ball in hand. Could do a Sicily next year if we play him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ashby was slow as a wet week and a shocking kick and couldn't play any role other than tagger or small defender either, and even then his lack of pace meant he was probably going to get torched most of the time anyway.

Redman's already shown he can play forward and back, is a serious athlete and competent with ball in hand. Could do a Sicily next year if we play him.
Be a piece of s**t?

shave his eyebrows?

2CED916E-A703-4FFE-B3D8-5D8C4EA0F830.jpeg
(Pic by Nackers~BF)

Donā€™t reckon you could choose a much better training partner ...

Not sure when, or in what position, but if he plays more than a couple of games this year this guy is my pick for break-out year surprise packet. (Along with - less surprising - Stewart and Begley).

So much is made of our big 3 (Jayden Laverde, Kyle Langford & Aaron Francis) but this kid is right in amongst that group.

Not dominating matches at VFL level despite having all the tools to succeed is a worry. His versatility has seen him thrown all over the ground at VFL level, let the kid settle in one position and he could move into the senior team soon enough.

So much is made of our big 3 (Jayden Laverde, Kyle Langford & Aaron Francis) but this kid is right in amongst that group.

Not dominating matches at VFL level despite having all the tools to succeed is a worry. His versatility has seen him thrown all over the ground at VFL level, let the kid settle in one position and he could move into the senior team soon enough.

I'm not confident that he has the game breaking ability of the other three but I am very confident that he's going to have a very good career. He definitely needs to find a spot in the side in the short term because it take years of experience before chopping and changing positions stops negatively influencing performances. Redman's competitive advantage in the long term will be that he'll be able to play in all three parts of the ground.

My confidence in Redman comes as much from the background story as it does from having seem him play some eye catching but inconsistent footy.

When Redman was recruited I remember watching a video in which Dodoro said that Keane fell in love with Redman as a player and character and that Keane talked Dodoro in to recruiting Redman. There has been some talk floating about that, while he turned himself into an elite runner with his old man's held, he has faced significant challenges adapting to life as a professional footballer.

That we offered him an extension to what became a four year deal during his first year says a lot. It's safe to assume that he will be given every opportunity and players in that situation generally make it.

I'm not confident that he has the game breaking ability of the other three but I am very confident that he's going to have a very good career. He definitely needs to find a spot in the side in the short term because it take years of experience before chopping and changing positions stops negatively influencing performances. Redman's competitive advantage in the long term will be that he'll be able to play in all three parts of the ground.

My confidence in Redman comes as much from the background story as it does from having seem him play some eye catching but inconsistent footy.

When Redman was recruited I remember watching a video in which Dodoro said that Keane fell in love with Redman as a player and character and that Keane talked Dodoro in to recruiting Redman. There has been some talk floating about that, while he turned himself into an elite runner with his old man's held, he has faced significant challenges adapting to life as a professional footballer.

That we offered him an extension to what became a four year deal during his first year says a lot. It's safe to assume that he will be given every opportunity and players in that situation generally make it.

Don't get me wrong he seems like a wonderful kid. Need to settle him in one position that we see him moving into the seniors in and give him every opportunity to do so.

If he gets off to a hot start he's very enticing as he can be rotated anywhere onto the ground. The same goes for Francis. I really want so see them in hot form early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back