AFL Player #27: Mason Redman šŸ•

Remove this Banner Ad

27 - redman.jpg

Contract Status: Free Agent 2028
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 24, ghostdog

Last edited by a moderator:
McKenna shouldnā€™t be in our defensive 6 (if in the side at all). Thereā€™s Gleesonā€™s entry if heā€™s fully fit.
i wholeheartedly disagree with this.

Redman,Saad,McKenna,Ambrose

Can't see how Gleeson gets back in

Did you watch the game against Northern Blues? He was just about best on and was named in the VFL team of the week. Given how far back he is coming from that is a great sign.

Plus this is the Redman thread, you should save Marty talk for Marty thread.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Did you watch the game against Northern Blues? He was just about best on and was named in the VFL team of the week. Given how far back he is coming from that is a great sign.

Plus this is the Redman thread, you should save Marty talk for Marty thread.
Iā€™ve always liked Gleeson and just before his injury it seemed as though he was really starting to come of age.

As you can as youā€™re entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that heā€™s a terrible AFL player. I donā€™t blame him, itā€™s not the game he grew up with. He runs fast but kicks poorly and makes poor decisions. But he runs fast.

Disagree completely about his kicking, he is one of the most creative and damaging kicks in the team. The coaching staff have clearly given him carte blanche to take risks because the benefit outweighs the risk, especially so when we look stagnate and need to find a spark by taking the dangerous option through the corridor.

That said, I would still prefer him to play further up the ground. If he was off the wing or half forward, his creative kicking would be a real weapon on entries into 50, plus he would get more chances to have a ping from 50 where he is arguably the most accurate kick we have.

But as above, this is The Pests thread, not Conor.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
As you can as youā€™re entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that heā€™s a terrible AFL player. I donā€™t blame him, itā€™s not the game he grew up with. He runs fast but kicks poorly and makes poor decisions. But he runs fast.

I'd argue he's a great kick but a poor decision maker. Most of his turnovers come from lack of awareness around where the opposition are and whether he can get away with a slow kick rather than missing his targets. Saying he's a terrible AFL player is way over the top, he's at least a decent AFL player, I'd say a good player personally. He's defensively pretty sound as well, when's the last time McKenna's opponent kicked a bag on him??? I can't remember it.
Do you really think the coaches would let him take kick ins if he was a 'poor kick'?

Anyway back on Redman I'd be surprised if he doesn't become one of the best players in our team in due course. He's still inexperienced but he's pretty good at everything and actually has good pace and size as well.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Disagree completely about his kicking, he is one of the most creative and damaging kicks in the team. The coaching staff have clearly given him carte blanche to take risks because the benefit outweighs the risk, especially so when we look stagnate and need to find a spark by taking the dangerous option through the corridor.

That said, I would still prefer him to play further up the ground. If he was off the wing or half forward, his creative kicking would be a real weapon on entries into 50, plus he would get more chances to have a ping from 50 where he is arguably the most accurate kick we have.

But as above, this is The Pests thread, not Conor.
Itā€™s unreliable af. Heā€™s a part of the mediocre crew. Weā€™ll have to agree to disagree.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd argue he's a great kick but a poor decision maker. Most of his turnovers come from lack of awareness around where the opposition are and whether he can get away with a slow kick rather than missing his targets. Saying he's a terrible AFL player is way over the top, he's at least a decent AFL player, I'd say a good player personally. He's defensively pretty sound as well, when's the last time McKenna's opponent kicked a bag on him??? I can't remember it.
Do you really think the coaches would let him take kick ins if he was a 'poor kick'?

Anyway back on Redman I'd be surprised if he doesn't become one of the best players in our team in due course. He's still inexperienced but he's pretty good at everything and actually has good pace and size as well.

110%.

He get chopped off much more than he misses targets.

Chop offs are one of the few genuinely objective indicators of questionable decision making.

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
Could he move into the middle eventually? Could he maybe demonstrate a few of Dayne Beams traits? Has he ever played forward before? He certainly moves well across the ground and doesn't seem to slow up as the game goes along.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Could he move into the middle eventually? Could he maybe demonstrate a few of Dayne Beams traits? Has he ever played forward before? He certainly moves well across the ground and doesn't seem to slow up as the game goes along.

He started as a hard-leading high half forward, at least with our VFL team. From memory he was a half forward and half back as a junior.

I'd definitely like to see him play wing/on-ball. He's got really good endurance, and the closer we can get his kicking to the forwards the better.

McKenna, on the other hand, is still probably better as the guy to run the ball out of defence.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

I see him stylistically similar to story Laird. Just an accumulator across the back half with precise ball use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Bloke is a gun

Turning into a very good player quickly
I feel very confident when he has the ball in hand, love the confidence that he takes on every situation with.

For me heā€™s the single biggest positive this year.

He seems to get a lot of positives said about him from commentators, I wonder when he will start to catch the eye of opposition supporters aswell.
If he seeks a trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back