Delisted 27 . Sam Menegola (2016 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

He might be like that other bloke we had that started with the Hawks, can't think of his name started with A,may not hand ball to much.
This one?

ablett3.jpg

Or did I miss the joke + state the obvious?

Do I need to add an :oops:?

Seems pretty injury prone, did a knee in 2013, missed 4 games with a MCL in 2014 and missed 10 games this year with a serious ankle injury.

I think he is now extremely well poised to succeed in his third chance at AFL level.

At both Hawthorn and Fremantle, even at the state levels his game was heavily reliant on his top end endurance. Seemed to bulk up massively this year and has come into his own as a dominant inside midfielder without sacrificing too much of his initial attribute in fitness. Notice there's some discussion of him fitting into your side in the forward line, but now I really can't see him playing another role other than through the midfield. Won't make any outlandish statements but I would be surprised if he doesn't see some AFL action next year, even with your numerous additions.

I am not expecting that much from any of ND picks this year. If they are good VFL players that would be for me good enough at this stage. We need our VFL to do well - help create that winning culture in the young guys.

However if they do well at VFL level who knows ?

I thought the guy we got with pick 60 + two years ago (aboriginal player who retired from the AFL) was going to make it after I saw him last season - but he gave it away. So being a high pick does not mean they cannot make it. But to push out someone when there are so many ahead of them and the competition for spots should be the best it has been in years - seems to be asking a fair amount. But on the other side who would have thought Gregson would arrive and play nearly every senior game in his first year ?
Brad Hartman? I think Hartman carried the whole VFL team in the GF they lost to Box Hill! He was fabulous that day + I had such high hopes for him after seeing him play that day.
Seems it's as much about what's going on in the head, as it is to be a talented player.

That sounds great but if Scooter is fit who gets left out to play Sam ?

Spots are pretty hot assuming Vardy, Menzel, Cowan, Stanley, Clark, Duncan and Scooter are fit. Then you have Lang and Cocky - who I think the club believe have a serious future ahead of them - and for us.

I genuinely believe that this will be a year of stimulating interest in who will start in the best 22 - and who will end up in September being best 22.

I know we cannot predict injury and suspension - but if we allow for that I wonder how many would get at least 20 of the 22 selected in the first final of 2016 (assuming we make and I do assume that proudly) ? I think it could be a very hard thing to do.
I think it was very telling when Selwood said that in recent years, we've pushed for top four regardless of injuries + players breaking down after a long, hard, exhausting seasons, without success.

My feeling with the recruitment of Menegola, is to add depth to the team, with a player who can play midfield or forward, which means our other mids or forwards can be rested, hopefully preventing the end of season exhaustion or injuries, which harmed our recent finals campaigns. As others have already said, it's also for endurance because of the new interchange rule.

I think this guy was our best recruit of the 4 draft picks in the National Draft. He could have the complete package if he stays fit - has wheels, endurance, kicks both sides, 188cm, clunks marks, has inside and outside game, kicks goals. I'm liking this guy more and more.

I think for a few guys..Cowan , Smedts , GHS and maybe even Lang..... the pressure will be on for spots this year.
That's a good thing. It sorts the sheep from the goats, the men from the boys!

I think this guy was our best recruit of the 4 draft picks in the National Draft. He could have the complete package if he stays fit - has wheels, endurance, kicks both sides, 188cm, clunks marks, has inside and outside game, kicks goals. I'm liking this guy more and more.
He looks a much better prospect than Ben Newton from Port Adelaide SANFL, if people recall from last year the Cats were linked to him as a mature age midfielder.... Menegola is bigger, faster, has better endurance, and seems to have more scoreboard impact.

He looks a much better prospect than Ben Newton from Port Adelaide SANFL, if people recall from last year the Cats were linked to him as a mature age midfielder.... Menegola is bigger, faster, has better endurance, and seems to have more scoreboard impact.

Have to agree, he's built like a truck.....HFF going through the midfield, I can see him now having a big impact, great selection Stephen Wells.

“I feel like I’ve really lucked out going there,” Menegola said.

“I’m really excited to be a part of it. At this stage after your name’s been read out, all you want to do is get across there and get stuck into it.

“There’s names like (Dangerfield) that you’re excited to learn off. Obviously if you look throughout their list, there’s other names like (Andrew) Mackie, (Tom) Hawkins, (Joel) Selwood, (Corey) Enright.

“They’re just an amazing list of players.”
:thumbsu:

Today's Western Australian

Could he rewrite the James Podsiadly story? Rookie listed at two previous clubs, couldn't get a senior game, goes back to the lower competition and almost gives up on the afl dream, then gets drafted as mature age, before going on to win a premiership?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory the year he was at Hawthorn (don't remember him at Freo) they played him as HFF whereas at Subi they have used his gut running to transfer him into a clearance midfielder who can get it on the outside. I think probably he is there to be an upgrade on our midfield depth options (i.e. Gore and Jansen getting traded, upgrade on Cowan etc) which I think he is and also insurance for Scooter. But yes you would think med fwd might also be a go for him as on the highlights he is a good mark with a long kick and Kersten's lack of endurance will be a hinderance for him with the cap coming in, so Menegola has it there. At his age you would think we will play him in all the NAB games and see how he goes.

Seems pretty injury prone, did a knee in 2013, missed 4 games with a MCL in 2014 and missed 10 games this year with a serious ankle injury.

this may not end, as they say, well - bit worrying when you're insuring players who have only just been recruited to the club!

I hope Menegola goes well, and from the little I've seen of him, he may well be an improvement on the likes of Schroder, Simpkin, Stringer and Jansen/Gore; really hard to tell how he'll make the transition to a superior comp though, some cope fine with the step-up, others, not so much.

Sounds as though he is physically capable though, which is half the battle.

A few here praising his ability to clear the ball in-close, which is great and much-needed, but from the highlights package I like the way he is able to find space in dangerous spots, smacks of, dare I say it, a player who knows his *ahem* running patterns.

Have to agree, he's built like a truck.....HFF going through the midfield, I can see him now having a big impact, great selection Stephen Wells.
Do you see Menegola playing in Rd1, meto?

As others have said, play Menegola in the NAB Cup to suss him out. From his video, he's keen to go in hard + position himself well.

Could he rewrite the James Podsiadly story? Rookie listed at two previous clubs, couldn't get a senior game, goes back to the lower competition and almost gives up on the afl dream, then gets drafted as mature age, before going on to win a premiership?
I was thinking that too, Pennypacker! :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Some really good quotes from Menegola and his Subi coach on the Cats website. I'm excited about him, a ready made player and it sounds like his game really developed in the last year. Let's hope he's Pods Mark II.

“I never stopped wanting to play AFL footy,” the 23-year-old Menegola told geelongcats.com.au.
“But a realisation set in that I had used my two chances and I wasn’t going to get another go at it.”

Menegola suffered a serious ankle injury in his first scratch match with his new WAFL club, Subiaco. At that point, he turned his focus towards developing a post-footy career as an insurance broker.
“I landed at a really good company and was very happy with that,” he said.

Menegola eventually played his first official WAFL game for Subiaco in early June.
In the ensuing four months, he hit such a purple patch of form that he ended up averaging 27 disposals and kicking 18 goals in 12 home and away matches.
He subsequently finished third in the Sandover Medal, just four votes behind the winner, Aidan Tropiano. In the 5-4-3-2-1 voting system, Menegola polled 41 votes, an average of 3.42 per game.

He starred in the finals series with 28 possessions and two goals in the semi-final and 30 touches and a goal in the Grand Final, capping off his turnaround by helping Subiaco win the WAFL premiership.

“In the second half of the season, I was pinching myself when I thought about how well things were going,” Menegola reflected.

“It was quite easily the best draft day I’ve ever had. None of them are fun; they’re always painful,” Menegola said.
“When you get rookie-listed you’re still ecstatic, but to get senior-listed is really, really cool. I’m absolutely pumped with it.
“But going into any draft, you know there’s that real good chance that you’re not going to be picked, so I was definitely nervous.”
“I actually didn’t speak to Geelong until Stephen Wells rang me on the morning of the draft.
“I think they spoke to my manager Colin Young quite a bit, and they spoke to Simon Lloyd, who I was with for a few years at Fremantle [and who has joined the Cats as director of coaching].”

A change of on-field role was a driving force behind Menegola’s form spike.
“When I was on Fremantle’s list I was playing in the WAFL predominantly as a tagger or across half-back - really negating roles,” he explained. “I was never really let off the leash.
“But Jarrad Schofield, the Subiaco coach, said that if I came to Subi he would let me play as an inside midfielder. He wanted me to just go and play footy. Jarrad gave me the opportunity and then kept helping me along the way with feedback and ideas on how I could improve. So he played a massive role in what I was able to achieve. The role he gave me and the way he coached me through the year was perfect, really. I enjoyed having the freedom to actually just go and get the footy."

Subiaco coach Schofield says "What he showed this year, and what we probably hadn't seen in previous years at both Freo and Hawthorn, is his ability to play as onballer. These days teams are going for that big-bodied onballer and he's able to do that."

Schofield also praised Menegola for making major improvements to his kicking.
"I know there has been some question marks on his field kicking, but his kicking was sensational this year," Schofield said.
"In terms of him being ready, physically he definitely is, but mentally I do think he's ready to go and I think Geelong have picked up a nice little player there."

“I’m hoping I can have an impact,” Menegola said. “Firstly, I just want to get across there, work hard and earn the respect of the group. I think that’s what springs to mind when I think about goals for next year. I feel like I’ve done an apprenticeship in football now. I feel like I’m ready; I know what I have to do.”

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-11-25/menegola-aiming-to-make-an-impact

Do you see Menegola playing in Rd1, meto?

As others have said, play Menegola in the NAB Cup to suss him out. From his video, he's keen to go in hard + position himself well.

How fit others are and how he shows for the NAB will determine, I'm wondering how right to go Scooter and Duncan will be but fantastic if he can step in.
Strengthening our mid stocks with a ready to go player was a clever move with our picks as they were.

How fit others are and how he shows for the NAB will determine, I'm wondering how right to go Scooter and Duncan will be but fantastic if he can step in.
Strengthening our mid stocks with a ready to go player was a clever move with our picks as they were.
Yes, of course meto, I should have included that. If Menegola does slot in, I think it can give Scooter + Duncan more time to recover, if they need it. Also, they can be rotated to rest if needed, with a view to having a fresher, fitter team for finals. He certainly adds depth there, which has been a real concern + a reason our recent finals campaigns have failed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back