Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

I know many see a lot of potential in this kid, but I'm not sure I get it.

You can talk about that quarter against the Tiggers last year, but he hasn't set the world on fire in any of the matches he's played.

Yet to have a huge game and show he's got a big future at this level. Have the same concerns re: Turner as well.

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies

You can talk about that quarter against the Tiggers last year, but he hasn't set the world on fire in any of the matches he's played.

Yet to have a huge game and show he's got a big future at this level. Have the same concerns re: Turner as well.
To me, garner will always be a 16 possession player. But a damn effective one, he will cut teams apart with his 16, as well as apply plenty of pressure. See Rioli. He'll be right once his body is kind to him.

To me, garner will always be a 16 possession player. But a damn effective one, he will cut teams apart with his 16, as well as apply plenty of pressure. See Rioli. He'll be right once his body is kind to him.

Except he's only ever had 16 possessions twice in 16 games. Never gone beyond that.

Vast majority of his games are sub 10 disposal matches, and he only averages half a goal over his career.

I know he is young, but he needs to do a lot more than that to deserve a half forward spot going forward.

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
Except he's only ever had 16 possessions twice in 16 games. Never gone beyond that.

Vast majority of his games are sub 10 disposal matches, and he only averages half a goal over his career.

I know he is young, but he needs to do a lot more than that to deserve a half forward spot going forward.
I think you need to understand what the reoccurring soft tissue injuries would do to his confidence. It's like taking 1 massive big step back after taking 2 good steps forward prior to injury. He has the talent to burn this guy, as well as application which important in his role. Give him a good run at it and the improvements will be twofold.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Should we bring in Braydon pruess too?

giphy.gif

I've been waiting to use this. ;)

Warning: very unpopular opinion incoming

I'm not sure this kid is going to have a long AFL career that we all hope he will. He seems to have Matt Campbell's hamstrings and has missed about 70% of the last 4 years with the same issue. Saunders is a legend but I think Garner is the type that will never play more than 15-17 games in a season and he may struggle to even get to that level
I suspect you might have a valid point, especially given the type of intensity his game is built on.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He was always going to be a risky pick long term because he is that mercurial type, that can turn a game with limited possessions. However he has shown that he has all the attributes to be an AFL player but his injuries haven't allowed him to get any continuity in his game. After playing early on in his career I would have thought he would be developing into a midfielder by this stage but because he has had so many injuries it hasn't allowed us to develop his body and Tank enough to allow him to do that.

Yep pretty much in those terms - I literally just don't know
Aside from Wells and Atley who you already have listed, I would have Boomer, LT and even Daw ahead of Garner in the "explosive off the mark" category

Lavy_Panther

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2005
Mumbai Dustbowl
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parthiv Patel
Nah this guy is a jet. Oozes class, strong as an ox and is extraordinary overhead.

If he can get a few uninterrupted pre-seasons and gets a bit of luck on the injury front he can turn into our Luke Parker.

If we don't persist with a guy like Garner you may as well hand back the keys to the joint.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Needs to add a few more strings to his bow imo.

Lays hard tackles, but hasn't got much else up his sleeve.

Strong overhead mark. Good ball user in traffic. Good decision-maker under pressure or in space. I don't think he is short on strings - just fitness and opportunity to use and keep developing them. I also don't think possession count is an specially useful stat, even less so for a fringish player during the sub era. If everyone was fit he would still be in my first choice team.

FYI it was initially a two week injury when he did it in round 3 against Melbourne.
It is now round 9 (6 weeks later) and he is still 1-3 weeks away from returning to training. How does a 2 week lay off blow out to 9 weeks? Something isnt right here.

Dont know about you guys but Im no longer willing to bank on Taylors body. Shame.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FYI it was initially a two week injury when he did it in round 3 against Melbourne.
It is now round 9 (6 weeks later) and he is still 1-3 weeks away from returning to training. How does a 2 week lay off blow out to 9 weeks? Something isnt right here.

Dont know about you guys but Im no longer willing to bank on Taylors body. Shame.

Well there is no such thing as a 2 week hammy. Particularly for a guy that missed a year of footy with a "string".

He may have done it again, or they might just be being really cautious.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM

IMO, Anderson will return before Garner.

I'd hazard a guess that he's recovered from the most recent hammy injury and he's now mid way through a major hamstring/lower back strengthening and conditioning program aimed at avoiding further issues henceforth.

Well there is no such thing as a 2 week hammy. Particularly for a guy that missed a year of footy with a "string".

He may have done it again, or they might just be being really cautious.
I think he done it again, personally.
IMO, Anderson will return before Garner.
Yeh Id agree with that too. TBH I wanted them back by round 12 for that Geelong game, but thats unlikely. We can cover this week and next week but then our stretch of games gets prickly and I dont want underdone players in.
I'd hazard a guess that he's recovered from the most recent hammy injury and he's now mid way through a major hamstring/lower back strengthening and conditioning program aimed at avoiding further issues henceforth.
I hope so Toes. The only query Id have is that he missed footy from February 2014 right thru to July 2015. 18 month lay off, surely he'd have done plenty of work in that timeframe?

I hope so Toes. The only query Id have is that he missed footy from February 2014 right thru to July 2015. 18 month lay off, surely he'd have done plenty of work in that timeframe?

He obviously has a chronic issue that needs correction and whatever work he had done just wasn't enough. Perhaps the ultra conservatism now is because they knew he'd done so much work yet still injured it. Scar tissue forming can itself be a problem. Anyway, I'm sure Saunders would be all over it now and Garns would be working his arse off in rehab. Beyond that he needs some luck.

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he done it again, personally.

Yeh Id agree with that too. TBH I wanted them back by round 12 for that Geelong game, but thats unlikely. We can cover this week and next week but then our stretch of games gets prickly and I dont want underdone players in.

Didn't he have hip surgery during this time too?

He obviously has a chronic issue that needs correction and whatever work he had done just wasn't enough. Perhaps the ultra conservatism now is because they knew he'd done so much work yet still injured it. Scar tissue forming can itself be a problem. Anyway, I'm sure Saunders would be all over it now and Garns would be working his arse off in rehab. Beyond that he needs some luck.
Yeh just hope hes working on his core. Take away all the stress from his hammies. The dynamic of the team is much more different and dangerous with him up and about.

Back