Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

Garner and Simpkin are the 2 im looking forward to the most getting midfield minutes.

One is as physical as all get out and the other looks graceful in traffic.
I'll go against the grain a bit here, but I'm not fussed if he stays as a permanent Forward Flanker, which imo is one of the hardest positions to play and play well.

To me there is a good reason why you see multiple blokes rotate through the flank and it's not just because of midfield rotations. It's a ******* hard spot to get a bloke that can link, take grabs, defend, kick goals and have genuine x factor that simply demands opposition respect.

This bloke does all those things and does them with ease.

Taylor Starner

389722.jpg

It's fantastic to just watch this bloke get better with each game that he plays. With the amount of time that he had out of the game, frankly, I'm surprised at how quickly he has come back into form and become a key player for us. Keep it up Garns!!

Is in our top three for pure football ability.

Has shown he can perform when it counts too - his 2nd quarter in the Richmond final was huge.

I suspect he has grown/body matured significantly since being drafted and that is what lead to a lot of his injuries. He's also freakin' massive now through the chest and shoulders, again I suspect his legs were being asked to carry weight they couldn't.

I'll go against the grain a bit here, but I'm not fussed if he stays as a permanent Forward Flanker, which imo is one of the hardest positions to play and play well.

To me there is a good reason why you see multiple blokes rotate through the flank and it's not just because of midfield rotations. It's a ******* hard spot to get a bloke that can link, take grabs, defend, kick goals and have genuine x factor that simply demands opposition respect.

This bloke does all those things and does them with ease.

Yep, i agree, its his natural position but he can also give us flexibility going in for a burst while we rest JZ/Cunners up forward. Both need more tog.

Garner has a very high floor imo and im not even sure what his ceiling is atm. Kid could be really special.

Gee, he's looking very good at the moment. Marks everything. If he could just stay fit for an entire season or two he could be anything.

BTW - Him and Wood both fit will add great flexibility to that forward line. Both could play a CHF style role (as could Brown). Both could play as more genuine HFF's and Wood could definitely float through a true FF position - and I suspect Garner could get good matchups there too.

You simply cannot underrate the value of contested marking. It weakens the entire defensive structure of an opposition team when they know a 1 on 1 is going to be a loss for them.

Gee, he's looking very good at the moment. Marks everything. If he could just stay fit for an entire season or two he could be anything.

BTW - Him and Wood both fit will add great flexibility to that forward line. Both could play a CHF style role (as could Brown). Both could play as more genuine HFF's and Wood could definitely float through a true FF position - and I suspect Garner could get good matchups there too.

You simply cannot underrate the value of contested marking. It weakens the entire defensive structure of an opposition team when they know a 1 on 1 is going to be a loss for them.
It is one of the reasons why the crows are so good ATM, they rarely lose marking contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he should have been rested last week after the long flight from Perth. Didn't train at all during the week.... The fact he didn't get out on the training track at all worries me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back