Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow - signed to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I have watched a lot of both of them.

Kennedy has been a stronger player with better balance, very good in the air and a sound though not very penetrating kick. He is not fast, not necessarily painfully slow but I think like Cripps can get burnt on the spread at times. He is averaging 14 contested possessions this year which is high, but I have noticed he is inflating his stats with loads of uncontested possessions in not very dangerous areas a little in the fashion of a Tom Mitchell. I would consider a decent contract offer for him like 4-5 years x $600k but that would be the absolute limit I think.

Dow is faster, currently dominating the VFL, but from what we have seen at AFL level, weak over the ball and his kicking is death. He does the worst type of trunovers where he breaks clear under no immediate pressure then kicks pathetically weakly, which burns all his spreading teammates. He has shown little poise or penetration with his kicking when on the run. I would possibly offer him $300k x 2 and use a 3rd rounder but only if I thought there was a realistic chance of sorting out his disposal. Without fixing his shocking kicking problems he is not an AFL footballer it is as simple as that.

That is fair.

I think Dow is not worth the risk because 300K at 2 is too risky for a outcome that may not eventuate. Paddy's acquistion could complicate Thomson's opportunity and development

I think we might be able to get Kennedy for less than 600K and maybe 3-4 for a more known product. CFC's cap would have to be stretched and the ex-coach would know. The value of Kennedy is he offers what we lack and he took a mark under severe opposition pressure against the Hawks on the weekend in a central area. He took another mark at the 12.30 mark of first qtr not many would attempt. Its what we lack. I agree Kennedy is like a poor mans Cripps to a degree and with Cerra, Hewitt and the others coming in he still might be seen as excess in terms of overall list structure. The Hawks came back and some of CFC's defensive weaknesses where exposed so Voss may want to do a reshuffle and tweek to improve their overall combination meaning the likes of Kennedy could still be squeezed out. Voss could let Kennedy go to enable and add CFC's output in other positions

Last edited:

Probably his best game for the club and at only 20 his future is looking bright.
Been really good since he had his chance
Getting into the right spots and making good decisions in traffic

One of the knocks on Thomson in his draft year was his kicking efficiency too.
Yeah but this is exposed AFL form. We know what we're in for. Draftees you expect to improve under full time training. Not always the case but I haven't noticed Dow slaughter the footy.

Yeah but this is exposed AFL form. We know what we're in for. Draftees you expect to improve under full time training. Not always the case but I haven't noticed Dow slaughter the footy.
Players can definitely improve their disposal efficiency if you teach them to take safer options. Thomson was considered an iffy kick when drafted. I don't see him as that now.

Players can definitely improve their disposal efficiency if you teach them to take safer options. Thomson was considered an iffy kick when drafted. I don't see him as that now.
Agree on Thomson but on recent form of Paddy he's still a butcher. If we can turn him into a pure handballing extractor it's worth a punt. Not saying it's impossible for Paddy to tidy up his kicking but he's had a fair while to work on it. I'd take him for peanuts, as others have said he's an upgrade on Martyn and potentially RCD if he doesn't get his s**t together soon. We hardly have any mids in the wings and a bunch set to retire so he's not a risk of being a list clogger.

These are the type of low cost, low-risk, reward opportunities to improve the list we should be looking at.

Report from the weekend from AFL website
"It’s a hard side to break into at present, but Paddy Dow continues to press for senior selection. The No.3 pick in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft turned in another strong performance in the Blues’ 46-point win against the Hawks at Box Hill City Oval, finishing with 30 touches and two goals."

-Good size, 187/85
-Former top 3 pick from 2017
-Will still only be 21 for the entirety of the 2022 season

I'd be on board
He's basically Jack Ross playing for the blues. I would give it a miss. You can pick up better in the draft

He's basically Jack Ross playing for the blues. I would give it a miss. You can pick up better in the draft
He's got tons more upside than Jack Ross, and I'm not sure at pick 50 which is around the mark I'd be looking to make the trade your a higher percentage of getting someone with his upside.

Agree, handballer extractor is a role that does not exist because it does not offer enough value. Players need to be better than that .

His highlights versus the Lions did not impress me either.

Ducking and weaving is only acceptable if your Bolton who can kick more than 100 plus goals as a forward and are a good kick with other strings.

If your building a midfield around ducking and weaving I start questioning the football dept because you have serious problems in the contest and spending a lot of excess energy doing it

Last edited:
He's got tons more upside than Jack Ross, and I'm not sure at pick 50 which is around the mark I'd be looking to make the trade your a higher percentage of getting someone with his upside.
Disagree greatly. I reckon they are almost the same player but one was pick 3 and one was pick 43. The only reason we are talking Paddy is because he was a high pick.

As a midfielder he should have clicked by now. No doubt someone will pick him up. Blues will want minimum pick 20-30

Disagree greatly. I reckon they are almost the same player but one was pick 3 and one was pick 43. The only reason we are talking Paddy is because he was a high pick.

As a midfielder he should have clicked by now. No doubt someone will pick him up. Blues will want minimum pick 20-30
Disagree they are almost the same, Paddy is probably quicker and more agile while Ross stronger but Paddy is almost a confirmed bust. Doing whatever in the twos is inconsequential to the top level mid setups in the AFL. See Trac is 98kg thats 13 kg more than Dow and Dow would be taller just

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree they are almost the same, Paddy is probably quicker and more agile while Ross stronger but Paddy is almost a confirmed bust. Doing whatever in the twos is inconsequential to the top level mid setups in the AFL. See Trac is 98kg thats 13 kg more than Dow and Dow would be taller just
I understand your point, but how does that bode for our mids in the VFL who aren't even performing as well as Paddy is for the Blues VFL?

I understand your point, but how does that bode for our mids in the VFL who aren't even performing as well as Paddy is for the Blues VFL?
I had a look at the VFL report by Morris on the weekend on the website. This is very relevant for our growth

I think it is good Sonsie and RCD get a chance to play together in terms of gelling and understanding each others strengths etc..

In time Sonsie and RCD will get their chance because they have not have much of a chance if not none like Sonsie yet.

Sonsie looks the goods in terms of accumulation, the club will know the right time in terms of polishing of his approach and being cherry ripe for the AFL

Sonsie and RCD get a go because they have not been allowed to fail yet at AFL

So with Sonsie, will he make it as a in and under type? Can he play half forward, can he play as a deeper forward?

RCD, can he play in the midfield, can he play in the backline, can he be effective in other areas at AFL level?

Last edited:
I have watched a lot of both of them.

Kennedy has been a stronger player with better balance, very good in the air and a sound though not very penetrating kick. He is not fast, not necessarily painfully slow but I think like Cripps can get burnt on the spread at times. He is averaging 14 contested possessions this year which is high, but I have noticed he is inflating his stats with loads of uncontested possessions in not very dangerous areas a little in the fashion of a Tom Mitchell. I would consider a decent contract offer for him like 4-5 years x $600k but that would be the absolute limit I think.

Dow is faster, currently dominating the VFL, but from what we have seen at AFL level, weak over the ball and his kicking is death. He does the worst type of trunovers where he breaks clear under no immediate pressure then kicks pathetically weakly, which burns all his spreading teammates. He has shown little poise or penetration with his kicking when on the run. I would possibly offer him $300k x 2 and use a 3rd rounder but only if I thought there was a realistic chance of sorting out his disposal. Without fixing his shocking kicking problems he is not an AFL footballer it is as simple as that.
No way do i offer Kennedy $600k or Dow $300k

Kennedy is benefiting from the attention given to Cripps and is not getting looked at by other coaches , Dow at $300k is also strange for a player thats on the verge of being delisted.

SPS played nearly 100 games and showed alot more than both and was traded for pick 54 on min chips for 2 years.

Baker , Short , Vlastuin , Balta should all be on $1 million each going by your numbers

In a team that was winning spoons.
True. But so too did Cotch and Shedda. I often thought Sheddas first 100 games were as underwhelming as you could get. Obviously now I'm smiling that we piled the games into him those first few years. Really only came good around 2013

On CPH1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No way do i offer Kennedy $600k or Dow $300k

Kennedy is benefiting from the attention given to Cripps and is not getting looked at by other coaches , Dow at $300k is also strange for a player thats on the verge of being delisted.

SPS played nearly 100 games and showed alot more than both and was traded for pick 54 on min chips for 2 years.

Baker , Short , Vlastuin , Balta should all be on $1 million each going by your numbers

To be fair I did put conditions on my $300k offer to Dow, and indicated 2 years only. I don’t fancy his chances of fixing his kicking but if Richmond thought they could help him sort it out he would be worth that offer for sure.

Kennedy is a tougher one. From Rd 14 onwards last year(2021) with neither the team nor Cripps playing well, he was returning fairly healthy numbers, and seemed to be performing ok. He is not a gun, maybe the $600k is a big high but he may be worth a decent enough offer to get him across. It is a matter of the club working out whether he is better than what we have available and coming through. But he is a big body, wins a reasonable amount of contested ball and takes a decent contested mark. He is right in an age group we need, about to turn 25. His weaknesses may not appeal to us, not the most penetrating kick and not the quickest runner, and I don’t think he is an instinctive defender. I would say this, if the club assessed him as fitting into its plans for a future midfield, then I think he would be worth the strong offer. If they don’t see him fitting into Richmond’s game style then it probably wouldn’t be worth pursuing him at any price.

Chasing Paddy Dow feels like a real Adam Thompson play. No for me.

Jury is out on Thom but he at least found the footy on the weekend, which most struggle with.

Even if they both weren't...they still make Dow look like a noodle with noodle arms/legs...
Just one smash away from being put away...
Thought he had bulked up a fair bit over this pre season
Definitely not a big as Ross but out website has him listed as playing at 79kg
Not bad for a 20 year old

Remove this Banner Ad

Back