Player Watch #27: Will Walker - debut Rd 19, injured his knee Rd 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blackshadow

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Team WADA
Speaking of. My grandads grandfather did that against a German machine gun nest - without the entrenching tool part (and it was the Military Medal back then). Can't even imagine how insanely desperate and terrifying that would be. He had some insane level courage, from memory had a fellow soldier injured as well on another occasion who told him to leave him as he was done for. He told him they were both going or both staying and dragged him out. Crazy times.
Incredible courage. War truly is hell especially the battlefields of WW1.

My grandfather was awarded the Military Medal in WW1. Your post prompted me to seek out his service records and found the description of what the award was for. I posted it in the random thoughts thread.

From memory the Military Medal was the second highest award for gallantry available to non officers after the Victoria Cross. I believe that the Military Medal was replaced by the Military Cross.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

shintemaster

Premium Gold
AFL Club
North Melbourne

My grandfather was awarded the Military Medal in WW1. Your post prompted me to seek out his service records and found the description of what the award was for. I posted it in the random thoughts thread.

From memory the Military Medal was the second highest award for gallantry available to non officers after the Victoria Cross. I believe that the Military Medal was replaced by the Military Cross.

F*** it. Blackshadow is my cousin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Late reply to this.

MC/MM is a third level medal, the Distinguished Conduct Medal/Destinguished Service Order (officers) was the second level medal below the VC for WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam fighting.

It was replaced by the Star of Gallantry in 1991 to remove rank from the medal.

I know this, because my grandfather won 2 DCM’s in Guinea and Italy in WW2.

Edit: Forgot to add, the DSO (officers) version of the DCM, is also a order of the british empire, recipients (like the VC) are entitled to post nominal letters of DSO, as well as being admitted into the Royal Distinguished Service Order, which ranks on the same tier as a British Knighthood in their honours system.

A DCM is entitled to post nominal lettering, no Order attached though.

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like Will's piece about his journey to getting drafted.

That year, I was in Year 12 at Melbourne High trying my best to make the Vic Metro squad but I was cut after the first round.

It hurt badly at the time, but I thought, 'If I’m not good enough, I’m not good enough' and concentrated on playing simply for the love for the game with the Sandringham Dragons.
Its almost exactly the same as my story, same school, same love for the game, and undoubted talent, but when I had the choice in Year 12 at MHS, well, journalism won that battle, and footy was the loser. Sadly.

GreatBradScott

Heaps of fun

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"As the Dragons season came to end, interviews with recruiters from AFL clubs began. Given I’d never had a job through high school, it was pretty daunting and I wasn’t the best when it came to job interviews."

OK just liked him a little less. Posho. But, that probably just brings it back down to normal levels.

GreatBradScott

Good Morning, Hell-A.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
I like Will's piece about his journey to getting drafted.

Its almost exactly the same as my story, same school, same love for the game, and undoubted talent, but when I had the choice in Year 12 at MHS, well, journalism won that battle, and footy was the loser. Sadly.

GreatBradScott
TomSwift likes this.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #769
Its almost exactly the same as my story, same school, same love for the game, and undoubted talent, but when I had the choice in Year 12 at MHS, well, catfishing won that battle, and footy was the loser. Sadly.
Efa.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #770
"As the Dragons season came to end, interviews with recruiters from AFL clubs began. Given I’d never had a job through high school, it was pretty daunting and I wasn’t the best when it came to job interviews."

OK just liked him a little less. Posho. But, that probably just brings it back down to normal levels.
Yes. Only here does not having a part time job turn you into Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Groin guru

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I agree. You're not a real man unless your year 12 consists of high grades, footy, part-time job, and wooing women. The only thing that humbles you and makes you grow up faster is war.

Top Bottom