Past #27: Will Walker - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/4 NM goals - go well Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree he looked tired today and that has a lot to do with physical and mental fitness, but he has had a very good debut and will be a gun. Sad that the fluffy locks look to have been cut off though, thought he was an individual. And Snake, I agree with you, but our midfield didn't look that impressive today.

Is a first year player making first year errors. He’ll learn.

I'm not being critical of the kid, just pointing out facts about his current fitness.

He is required to do far too much defensive running relative to his maturity, because we are carrying too many slow players.

I'm not being critical of the kid, just pointing out facts about his current fitness.

He is required to do far too much defensive running relative to his maturity, because we are carrying too many slow players.
Cant play him, LDU, Ahern and Cunnington in the same team at the minute.
We would be ****ed

I still have nightmares about the Collingwood game..
Its been our achilles heal for as long as I can remember.
Teams with endurance athletes get us on the spread and open us up like whores.
Unless Cunnington and another mid (Ahern/Higgins/Jacobs) are winning it in the middle and giving us first use - as we saw against West Coast - then we are as pedestrian as an aged care facility.
It reeks of a one in all in gameplan and there is literally nothing Jed Anderson can do about it. Dumont battled on manfully yesterday but a two way midfielder with speed is a necessity. Hartung and Jacobs arrest this somewhat but its too little too late.

Unless Cunnington and another mid (Ahern/Higgins/Jacobs) are winning it in the middle and giving us first use - as we saw against West Coast - then we are as pedestrian as an aged care facility.
It reeks of a one in all in gameplan and there is literally nothing Jed Anderson can do about it. Dumont battled on manfully yesterday but a two way midfielder with speed is a necessity. Hartung and Jacobs arrest this somewhat but its too little too late.
Adding to that we’ve got guys who simply lack tanks. Ahern, Walker and Simpkin would be vastly different players and athletes in 2 years time.

Adding to that we’ve got guys who simply lack tanks. Ahern, Walker and Simpkin would be vastly different players and athletes in 2 years time.
Yep we are leaving too much to players current not able to go the whole way. The issue is whether theyll eventually get there which is the case for most clubs.

Agreed with everything you’ve said..
Another missing ingredient I’ll add, the guys we do have on the outside can’t hit the side of a barn door.

We seem to draft inside mids with endurance, guys like Gibson or Clarke and try to make them in a brad hill type. Not happening.

It would be nice having a caleb daniel, running round the back half for us. Always playing inside his limitations, constantly hitting up a target.

What's also funny is we drafted endurance athletes like Mountford and Hibberd and refuse to play or delist them :S
Scott can't refuse Mountford's form. He's a perfect Hvorat replacement. Faster, a better tackler, a longer kick, is better in contested situations and is more of a capable midfielder. Accumulation and occasional decision making with his kicking is his only drawback.

Back on Walker, he had a good second quarter, but he's a kid being asked to do too much. Snake nailed earlier.

Our current squad not only needs a fresh injection of midfield (and small hb) depth, but it needs two pre-seasons for guys like Walker and co.

Another missing ingredient I’ll add, the guys we do have on the outside can’t hit the side of a barn door.

We seem to draft inside mids with endurance, guys like Gibson or Clarke and try to make them in a brad hill type. Not happening.

It would be nice having a caleb daniel, running round the back half for us. Always playing inside his limitations, constantly hitting up a target.
Composure, we have too many guys that crap themselves under and without pressure. It's beyond mind-boggling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Composure, we have too many guys that crap themselves under and without pressure. It's beyond mind-boggling.
I’m not sure it’s composure as much as not being suited for the role givien.
Clarke when drafted was another Jed Anderson type midfielder(without the skill)
But get the ball moving forward at any cost, pressure, pressure, pressure.

We seem to taken that great advantage away and try to rely on his weakness.

It’d be like trying to turn will walker into a lockdown defender.

Gaff is important in that regard.

Not sure where the coaches see him playing at next year, but a run as a small forward would be worth a try. He's quick, and his kicking looks like it could be top 5 at the club. That forwardline needs some zip.
Everything you said still makes sense when you take on my changes

Looks like he's dodged major damage.

Not sure where the coaches see him playing at next year, but a run as a back sweeper would be worth a try. He's quick, and his kicking looks like it could be top 5 at the club. That backline needs some zip.
I'd keep him forward. Looks to have the ability to find space, good skills and has shown a knack to be able to get a good snap shot under pressure.

Ink him onto the forward line along with Jy next year in my humble.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Looks like he's dodged major damage.

Not sure where the coaches see him playing at next year, but a run as a back sweeper would be worth a try. He's quick, and his kicking looks like it could be top 5 at the club. That backline needs some zip.
Finding a small paced player that can nail goals is hard to find. Especially lacking in our squad.
A natrual replacement for Kane goal posts Turner.
He'd be wasted down back

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I remember reading an article where Nathan Burke (ex St Kilda player) said Will Walker will be close to the best player from this draft year. This comment was made in jan/feb. he had an association with Will from Sandringham.
Just looks like he knows where to run and where to get the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back