Past #27: Will Walker - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/4 NM goals - go well Walks

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
As a neutral, i really like this pick. I've been on him for a couple months and i am on record countless times on the Carlton Board as having him as my pick for our Pick 30.

I reckon he's "got it". Finished the season really well after midyear as his confidence kept rising and a great size and future AFL athlete imo. He was gonna rip the TAC Grand Final apart until his midfield went to sleep in the 3rd Q and left him starving in the forward line after his explosive 2nd Q. It took him being thrown on the ball late in the 3rd to get Sandy going again.

Well done on getting LDU and Walker.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any deets on his combine testing?

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting...

Welcome aboard young man! They are going to ask a lot from you, I hope you are ready to throw everything you have at it!

BeOrfvo.png

I thought Harry, Ron and Hermione were a package deal?

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn’t describe him as speedy.

He lopes, I actually think he’s on the slow side.

Not sure on this one, he can accumulate the footy, I’ll wait to see his first year in the VFL given he only has 1 year of exposed form before judging.

Dominated the TAC Cup finals.
from what I seen in that short video was he isnt scared to hold onto the ball, then make a decision. Obviously decision making time at AFL level is shorter but I think this is why the club plucked him out. I like the kid at pick 62 more than this lad........time will tell I guess.

"Will is a development project, has some upside having come back from a soccer background. " Mark Finnigan.

Unsurprised about this comment, since he looks a pick for 1-3 years down the track with a high ceiling. Seems to have a good balance of inside/outside (while also being good around goals). Snoop Dogg's summation on page-1 of this thread seems pretty spot on to me. His kicking under pressure clearly needs work, but elsewhere looked ok. I like the fact that he can accumulate possessions already, so if you iron out the bugs, then the sky's the limit with his background.

Sounds like he would be a perfect pick around #30, but as we had #23 & then a huge gap, there was no choice but to take him when we did. And since we're unlikely to be challenging for the flag in the next 2 years, then it suits a kinda high-risk/high-reward pick well.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some stats over his last 12 games for Sandringham:

- Averaged 23.3 disposals
- Kicked 16 goals
- Was in the bests 10 times

Not bad for a developmental prospect. He at one stage even had a 5 game stretch where he averaged 28 disposals, kicked 6 goals and had back to back BOG performances.

The best fact about the pick is that Mark Finnigan isn't exactly wrong calling in Walker a development project. When you consider his soccer background, his improvement throughout the year and his frame that could probably support another 8-10kgs, Will still has a lot of improvement left in him.

He played some good footy at half-forward at times for Sandringham and I'd expect to see him get some games in that position next year.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn’t describe him as speedy.

He lopes, I actually think he’s on the slow side.

Not sure on this one, he can accumulate the footy, I’ll wait to see his first year in the VFL given he only has 1 year of exposed form before judging.

Dominated the TAC Cup finals.

And no left foot ?

Back