Past #27: Will Walker - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/4 NM goals - go well Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

He was looking like a good thing before his injuries, worthy of a R2 pick. You can't put his injuries on the drafting team. It's not like he had a history of them.
Sorry mate .. totality disagree.
Not in any way a WW was a 2nd rounder .
Stop looking at him as what he was / could of been just look at the next 10-20 players picked behind him .
This is not hindsight, if u know your draft from that year …Balta , Bayly F McCartin etc .. were dominating in the TAC cup then …

know

Sorry mate .. totality disagree.
Not in any way a WW was a 2nd rounder .
Stop looking at him as what he was / could of been just look at the next 10-20 players picked behind him .
This is not hindsight, if u know your draft from that year …Balta , Bayly F McCartin etc .. were dominating in the TAC cup then …

know
Bayley Fritsch was certainly not dominating the TAC cup then. He didn't make the cut for the Eastern Ranges in his draft year, which was 2014, and was drafted 3 years later after a good year for Casey in the VFL.

I do find it rather ironic, all this criticism of Joyce, in that for all his incompetence he may well be the architect of our success that will hopefully come in the back end of this decade. Caused a double dip bottom out which has given us an extended crack at top end talent, nailed most first picks, quite a few hits from later picks and produced a complete s**t show that resulted in us making drastic changes that were well overdue. Thanks Cam!!

Bayley Fritsch was certainly not dominating the TAC cup then. He didn't make the cut for the Eastern Ranges in his draft year, which was 2014, and was drafted 3 years later after a good year for Casey in the VFL.
Being cut at age 13-14 ….mate come on ! I don’t think he would have reached puberty by then …?!
I’m talking he dominated as a bottom age U18 & the year after .

Being cut at age 13-14 ….mate come on ! I don’t think he would have reached puberty by then …?!

He really didn't though.

"First-year Demon, Bayley Fritsch, took the road less travelled to AFL prominence. After being overlooked by the Eastern Ranges, and playing Division 4 in the EFL with Coldstream, the exciting forward was invited to train with Casey in the VFL, and impressed so much in 2017 that the Demons selected him with pick 31 in the 2017 national draft. The 21-year-old spoke exclusively with AFLPlayers.com.au."

I'm not sure if you are thinking of another player? He didn't make the cut the year he turned 18, which was 2014. He turned 21 the year he was drafted.

He really didn't though.

"First-year Demon, Bayley Fritsch, took the road less travelled to AFL prominence. After being overlooked by the Eastern Ranges, and playing Division 4 in the EFL with Coldstream, the exciting forward was invited to train with Casey in the VFL, and impressed so much in 2017 that the Demons selected him with pick 31 in the 2017 national draft. The 21-year-old spoke exclusively with AFLPlayers.com.au."

Yes fair enough…
Hey Liam Ryan was going ok too at the time btw ..,
Won’t look & talk about it anymore… irs just gonna depress us 😂
Charlie Spargo ?! With his old mans connection? … s**t !
I will stop !!😂

Are you sure you went back to 2000? Because our 2nd round pick that year was pretty bloody good.

True thought that there is way more misses than even serviceable players.

yeah fair call I clearly only went back to 2001.
We have generally done well from the 1st round picks and have been excellent at late picks, so many misses in the 2nd round though. I’m confident out last 2 years will hold us in good shape.

Anyway, I'm in the camp of thinking too many are using the benefit of hindsight with this pick. I'd never heard of him either when we called his name at the 2017 draft. However I recall reading up on him afterwards and it was widely noted that he was a convert to AFL who had shown rapid improvement in the last half of the year. Someone in the media, don't recall who it was now, even rated him as a smoky for the Rising Star. That obviously didn't happen, but I don't think anyone could deny that he showed a lot in those few games he played in late 2018. If not for injury, and what appeared to be gross mismanagement of that injury, I think we would be sitting here now very happy with that pick.

Done now though. All the best Will.

Hindsight and all that, but his pick will go down as one the clubs worst. I know his injuries have impacted his output but we reached for him bigtime.

Best of luck with whatever the future holds WW
Disagree. Until his knee injury he was looking a star. He was a victim of our club's awful injury management program of the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Will. A massive shame for me that someone that showed so much talent and enthusiasm in his first few games was cut down by so many injuries. You could see it in his eyes for the last 12 months or so, that he was a bit broken I reckon by the hand that was dealt to him. Forget about where he was drafted, he didn't draft himself, but he definitely gave his all to the club while he was here. Good luck for the future and let's hope the club has finally put in place a sound injury prevention and rehab program coz this kind of s**t has continued to happen far too often.

These are the draft picks that hurt, look at the picks straight after him, my god… add Kelly to our midfield, just think about that…

a pick in the 20’s needs to be a 150 game player, you can’t stuff these picks up….sadly we have had far to many of these picks over the last 15 years….

And if Kelly picked up an 18 month PCL injury then things would be very different.

Did we get the pick wrong? Did we get the injury management wrong? Was it just bad luck?

Will showed plenty in the glimpses we got. We will never know how good he could have been with 2 to 3 consecutive seasons of building strength, fitness, skills etc

Wanted Noah Balta at this pick the other one I was hoping for at the time was Constable who imo still could be decent despite being fairly one dimensional
Yeah, I didn't really have an opinion tho. He was BOG in the Herald Shield (or whatever it is these days) final wasn't he?

But at the time we had Goldy, Brown, Waite, Larkey, McKay, hunter, Taz, Maj moving into the backline and a couple of other talls who I can't think of right now.

And if Kelly picked up an 18 month PCL injury then things would be very different.

Did we get the pick wrong? Did we get the injury management wrong? Was it just bad luck?

Will showed plenty in the glimpses we got. We will never know how good he could have been with 2 to 3 consecutive seasons of building strength, fitness, skills etc
We had a few WA posters onto Liam Ryan that year but I don't remember anyone mentioning Kelly. Well T. Kelly, the other one got a bit of hype.

Anyweay, Cheers Will. Thanks for smashing the crap out of your leg for us. You probably deserved a bit better.

We had a few WA posters onto Liam Ryan that year but I don't remember anyone mentioning Kelly. Well T. Kelly, the other one got a bit of hype.

Anyweay, Cheers Will. Thanks for smashing the crap out of your leg for us. You probably deserved a bit better.

Tim Kelly had been overlooked by every club for three or four years so the idea that he was an obvious pick is a bit rich.

Tim Kelly had been overlooked by every club for three or four years so the idea that he was an obvious pick is a bit rich.

I'm disappointed how it's turned out for Will and us (especially the 2017 draft Round 2 opportunity cost) however Tim Kelly would've always been a big risk for us.

While he plead his case in articles at the time about how dedicated he'd be to whoever drafted him, in reality inside 1 year in the AFL he proved how risky he was as he immediately tried to get back to WA.

Cats being a very strongly run club managed to squeeze maximum value out of him. We've shown no such evidence that we can bleed an opposition club dry for any of our players. So if we'd drafted Kelly I'm guessing we would've got far less in return.

He also would've been a midfielder hitting his prime landing at and being wasted at a team that didn't really need him.

No more shoulda coulda woulda … let’s not sugar coat this… hindsight is a beautiful thing some might say but when WW name got read out at pick 23 in the 2017 draft (everyone including myself said Who the **** is he ?!)
Take a look from pick 23 WW down …the caliber of players picked below him … let’s just put our hands on our hearts & say “yep Joyce & Bard” farked that up .View attachment 1224139
I thought Michael McMahon was our list manager for the 2017 draft not Joyce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back