Past #27: Will Walker - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/4 NM goals - go well Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys.

I’m not sure it’s been mentioned in this thread yet, but I believe Will has had a few meetings with Adelaide in the last couple of weeks, but obviously wants to stay at north.
Fair enough can’t imagine anyone wanting to reallocate to Adelaide for potentially only a year if they have a choice

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Walker retained as rookie
Will Walker will remain in the royal blue and white stripes until at least the end of 2021, after putting pen to paper on a one-year rookie contract.
Just now
2020_WillWalker_Rookie_Twitter.jpg

Will Walker will remain in the royal blue and white stripes until at least the end of 2021, after putting pen to paper on a one-year rookie contract.
The 21-year-old said he is looking forward to leaving his injury troubles behind him and putting his best foot forward come pre-season.

“I’m looking forward to training when we get back and being able to do some things early on,” Walker told North Media.
“Then when the boys get back in January I should be able to do everything and hopefully get right into it which will be really good and hopefully that leads to a good year … time will tell, but hopefully I have a bit of luck on my side this year.”

Walker said with numerous changes underway at Arden St he remains optimistic about what the future holds.

“There’s a whole bunch of new coaches coming on and I’m very excited about that,” he said.
“We’ve got a good group of boys that I enjoy playing with and hopefully we can do something pretty special soon.”
With a contract looming since season’s end, Walker said constant communication made the process easier.
“There was a fair bit of time where I didn’t know what was going on, I didn’t know if I was going to get one or not but I’m very excited,” he added.
“Even when I didn’t know [contract], everyone at the club, the physios, doctors, strength and conditioning staff, and the coaches kept in contact so I never felt like I was out of it which was really good.”

North GM football Brady Rawlings said it’s a testament to Walker’s hard work ethic.

“Will has had a few setbacks with injury along his journey but we’re really confident in his ability to have an impact,” Rawlings said.
“In the few games he’s played he has shown he can match it at AFL level and we’re looking forward to developing his craft and seeing what he can do with a full pre-season under his belt.”

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/839880/walker-retained-as-rookie

Really hope this kid makes it. Has some nice tricks, can find the footy pretty ok on the outside, got natural footy smarts and has very good endurance and speed considering his injuries.

Funny how the narrative changes with the contact from the club for those that have a contract to those that don't.
In fairness, there was a considerable amount of time between the original delistings and Walker signing on. Things may have improved since then.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
In fairness, there was a considerable amount of time between the original delistings and Walker signing on. Things may have improved since then.

Yeah, but Will was still out of contract as long as everyone else delisted was, prior.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

This, plus it's not unfathomable that they communicated well with blokes they were unsure on and communicated bluntly with those they were sure weren't going around again.

We have delisted plenty of blokes in the past and I haven't seen too many instances where 3 or 4 of them come out with consistent stories of disappointment in the communication from the club.

Yeah, but Will was still out of contract as long as everyone else delisted was, prior.
The intention throughout the process was more inclined towards keeping him, whilst we were pretty clear on the 11 being delisted ASAP. This may have played a role, but I do largely agree with your original post.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The intention throughout the process was more inclined towards keeping him, whilst we were pretty clear on the 11 being delisted ASAP. This may have played a role, but I do largely agree with your original post.

Good (and expected) news.

Now change the name from Will Walker to Will "always fit" Runner and he'll play 200 games for us.

Big year ahead WW. Go get 'em son!

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
This, plus it's not unfathomable that they communicated well with blokes they were unsure on and communicated bluntly with those they were sure weren't going around again.

We have delisted plenty of blokes in the past and I haven't seen too many instances where 3 or 4 of them come out with consistent stories of disappointment in the communication from the club.

Have our delisted players ever garnered such publicity? Usually they fade into obscurity immediately. Previous players may have been pissed, but never had the opportunity to express it publicly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have our delisted players ever garnered such publicity? Usually they fade into obscurity immediately. Previous players may have been pissed, but never had the opportunity to express it publicly.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

The veterans delisting was met with similar scorn because everybody knows what a struggling side needs to do is keep both their oldest players and their worse uncontracted players on their list to improve.

Liam Dickering

Debutant
Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Unfortunately there seems to have been an attitude of entitlement, which we are hopefully weeding out now. I'm amazed that so many were shocked/filthy about it. When you're consistently one of the worst performing players in a 3-win side without a contract, you would surely have to know you're on the chopping block. If not entitlement, it's just stupidity.

They were know greats. These are garden variety delistings.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Fair enough.

We delisted (or moved on in other ways) at least ten players that year too. I think we have delisted something close to fifty players since that Adelaide final in 2016.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Fair enough.

We delisted (or moved on in other ways) at least ten players that year too. I think we have delisted something close to fifty players since that Adelaide final in 2016.
I just don't recall such an ordinary bunch of footballers getting so much air time before.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Normally the draft would have happened by now.

Its weeks late this year and there is fu** all else to talk about.
Unfortunately not much can be done as year 12 exams have just been completed. In a normal season, the draft would have occured last week. Last season it occured on the 27th and 28th November. In 2018, it was on the 22nd and 23rd and in 2017 it was on the 24th.

Unfortunately not much can be done as year 12 exams have just been completed. In a normal season, the draft would have occured last week. Last season it occured on the 27th and 28th November. In 2018, it was on the 22nd and 23rd and in 2017 it was on the 24th.
I know, bloody COVID. Its just one of those things.

The media has to make noise. Or some other media will and steal its audience. Normally there is other more exciting stuff to talk about right now cos the draft happens in late November.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fair enough can’t imagine anyone wanting to reallocate to Adelaide for potentially only a year if they have a choice

Who do you insist on bagging Adelaide continually as a place to live?

Some people I know really enjoy living there, and plenty of players have requested to move back.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf

Apart from the fab 4 in 2016 when have 4 of our players been interview after being delisted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back