Past #27: Will Walker - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/4 NM goals - go well Walks

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Not worried, bottom age transfer from soccer who is quick, has endurance and decent skills already.

Has a fair frame and the body will fill out with age and the AFL system.
Yeah also seems very down to earth, and the sort of kid that understands where he's at and what he needs to do.....Love his enthusiasm to be a shinboner. I am really liking every selection in this draft. Particularly in context of TT next season and potential FS selections.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Something about this kid that really sets him apart is his ability to accumulate - which is really difficult to teach.

Even having not played footy for an extended period, he's able to read the play correctly and his running patterns are excellent.

Will surprise a few.

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Something about this kid that really sets him apart is his ability to accumulate - which is really difficult to teach.

Even having not played footy for an extended period, he's able to read the play correctly and his running patterns are excellent.

Will surprise a few.
Reckon soccer has benefited him massively with his positioning and awareness. It's such a tactical sport.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Reckon soccer has benefited him massively with his positioning and awareness. It's such a tactical sport.
Yeah a few years ago when I played I took a year off footy and played a season of soccer with some mates. Even for one year at an amateur, social level for both sports when I went back to footy I noticed a massive difference in spatial awareness and the feeling of composure and time in traffic as well as in knowing when to collect freeze frame game mental 'pictures,' if you like. I can't imagine the benefit it would have for a kid who grew up playing it and committed full time to footy late on.

ansonholt

Premiership Player
May 12, 2009
All in Sunbury
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah a few years ago when I played I took a year off footy and played a season of soccer with some mates. Even for one year at an amateur, social level for both sports when I went back to footy I noticed a massive difference in spatial awareness and the feeling of composure and time in traffic as well as in knowing when to collect freeze frame game mental 'pictures,' if you like. I can't imagine the benefit it would have for a kid who grew up playing it and committed full time to footy late on.

Underrated post. Should have more likes.

I've played both sports as well (not extensively however) and this is a very good appraisal of the skills you get from playing soccer. You definitely have to have a sense of movement and space when in possession, as well as know what the next few 'freeze frames' are going to look like. More so than in footy, where you can pause and wait.

Think Will Will be the 'play on immediately' type and Will create some scoring drives in games he plays in, which Will be good to watch and create a lot of good Will for him.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
DP1qNS7VoAEujPn.jpg:large

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Who the hell keeps doing these player comparisons, they are atrocious.

The improvement curve in the end statistic is the stat to notice.

It's second only to Andrew Brayshaw out of the top 24 picks.

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
Would be interested to see that split into the first and second half of the season, i think there was a post earlier saying he had some really impressive stats over the last 12 games last year.

Huge upside with this kid, especially if he can develop his physique to compete with afl mids.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Would be interested to see that split into the first and second half of the season, i think there was a post earlier saying he had some really impressive stats over the last 12 games last year.

Huge upside with this kid, especially if he can develop his physique to compete with afl mids.

If I remember correctly, Champion data ranked his last 10 matches alongside Bontempelli's last 10 matches of his 2013 TAC season.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who the hell keeps doing these player comparisons, they are atrocious.
If it's CD it's based on statistics like contested/uncontested split, where they get the football, what they do with it, % of contests won in each part of ground etc. They're probably closer than pure eyeball comparisons.

If it's CD it's based on statistics like contested/uncontested split, where they get the football, what they do with it, % of contests won in each part of ground etc. They're probably closer than pure eyeball comparisons.
The problem with that is, you get about half a dozen comparisons each to Levi Greenwood and Douglas in the top 20, it makes you question the stats a bit.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The problem with that is, you get about half a dozen comparisons each to Levi Greenwood and Douglas in the top 20, it makes you question the stats a bit.
It actually makes sense though. How many Pendleburys, Selwoods, Bonts etc do you get in each top 20? Maybe one. Much more likely to get a role player. Won't get a lot of juniors taken past pick 15 which will have a statistical fingerprint identical to Josh Kelly.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Listening to Luffy on North Talk he hates player comparisons anyway. You can see why. Put out all that good information and even people on dedicated footy websites (let alone Facey) get stuck yelling about Shaun Grigg...

Also you vastly underrate Douglas. Had a very good career.
Averages less than 20 disposals and under a goal a game playing in multiple high possession Adelaide sides, so we'll have to agree to disagree on him.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will Walker

22 games, 13 times in the best for his team.

From mid June he went on a run of games:

23 touches, 4 tackles, 2 goals, 6 marks
28, 0, 1, 3
24, 4, 1, 3
27, 5, 1, 7
30, 3, 3, 5
31, 5, 0, 9
19, 3, 0, 3
18, 6, 0, 6
25, 1, 4, 4
16, 3, 1, 6
19, 2, 2, 3

Averaged 23.6 touches, 3 tackles, 1.2 goals and 4.5 marks a game over his last 11 games of the year. Add 8.2 handball receives.

Plenty of upside in this kid.

Last edited:
Back