Expansion 28 AFL listed Tasmanians

Remove this Banner Ad

The TAC team will have an impact on these numbers, I think. I only hope the team survives this time around.

Why? Its only a recruitment tool for the AFL, VFL & NEAFL. It failed last time because of this & that that club had no direction. Its either a vehicle to get to the AFL or its a FWOT again.

We've been bitten before & it will not get the same support it did last time. Footy people remember the mess last time & the lies about 'support this & show the AFL we want a team & it will happen' NEVER again. Footy people like me who were members & went last time wouldn't piss on this BS fraud again. FK the VFL Its a WOT & money.

The chronic under investment here by the rulers of the game. The AFL suck more money out of the state than they've ever put in. Qld/NSW its the opposite.

I know these figures are at just one point in time but I agree wholeheartedly about the investment. If Tassie dont keep paying melbourne clubs to play there, the $millions need to be found somewhere else.

Regular games against potential draftees can’t hurt the chances of raising the playing standards among the players. It will also put players under the noses of scouts and recruiters. It also helps players by playing away games on the mainland and exposing them to a wider range of surfaces.

Does it do anything for Tassie footy at the local level.

Regular games against potential draftees can’t hurt the chances of raising the playing standards among the players. It will also put players under the noses of scouts and recruiters. It also helps players by playing away games on the mainland and exposing them to a wider range of surfaces.

Just going by last time we had the VFL/U18's, it exposed the relatively few draftee chances to the recruiters more often. That was reduced when they joined with North Melbourne.

Without the State league, the rest of the competitions fell away in standard & sponsorship/attendances/finances & coaching. Basically the 'pathway' was broken & never really fixed up. Hence the footy heartland of the North West coast (Burnie/Devonport etc) has never really recovered due to they chronic long term under resourcing of that pathway via the TSL.

No doubt social change, like everywhere, hasn't helped. But the enforced isolation from access to AFL level coaches over 20 years or so has done a lot of damage to the game & it has regressed relative to other places that are closer to AFL teams, coaching & the flow on affects they have on the lower leagues.

The coaches that came here from the VFL like John Devine, Peter Hudson, Rod Olsen etc etc excited the public/media interest & kept the standard up. We don't get many coming now as the money is't here.

If the AFL spend 1/2 as much sending exAFL players here to coaches they will do on this VFL/U18 push, I'd say the game here will naturally progress & get the game & kids up to a decent standard again.

Just going by last time we had the VFL/U18's, it exposed the relatively few draftee chances to the recruiters more often. That was reduced when they joined with North Melbourne.

Without the State league, the rest of the competitions fell away in standard & sponsorship/attendances/finances & coaching. Basically the 'pathway' was broken & never really fixed up. Hence the footy heartland of the North West coast (Burnie/Devonport etc) has never really recovered due to they chronic long term under resourcing of that pathway via the TSL.

No doubt social change, like everywhere, hasn't helped. But the enforced isolation from access to AFL level coaches over 20 years or so has done a lot of damage to the game & it has regressed relative to other places that are closer to AFL teams, coaching & the flow on affects they have on the lower leagues.

The coaches that came here from the VFL like John Devine, Peter Hudson, Rod Olsen etc etc excited the public/media interest & kept the standard up. We don't get many coming now as the money is't here.

If the AFL spend 1/2 as much sending exAFL players here to coaches they will do on this VFL/U18 push, I'd say the game here will naturally progress & get the game & kids up to a decent standard again.
Not saying it’s magic. But it can’t do any harm. I am hoping for the raising of standards and development of coaching and support facilities as well. Every player and coach that spends time at the “next level” will benefit their local club if they can prepare and identify talent for the next step. It is a shame when players fall out of the system when they aren’t ready for the step up.

Not saying it’s magic. But it can’t do any harm. I am hoping for the raising of standards and development of coaching and support facilities as well. Every player and coach that spends time at the “next level” will benefit their local club if they can prepare and identify talent for the next step. It is a shame when players fall out of the system when they aren’t ready for the step up.

'Harm' is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Local coach of Lauderdale Darren Winter recently reminded everyone of just what happened last time we went through this VFL/U18 thing. Kids get taken out of club culture & put into the u18/VFL program & often didn't go back. Lost to the club & lost to the club culture. Either they went to try NEAFL, VFL, SANFL or played some bush footy or nothing at all. Stopped playing.

In the end the 'program' failed. We went back to a state league. Under resourced again, so guess what. Its struggling to do what its expected to do. Clubs have left.

Don't you think the AFL/AFLTas employees would listen, think & learn?? They recon they're the experts on all things footy. But how many have actually been in an actual footy club? Interacted with local families/sponsors/communities?

The last AFLTas CEO was a complete disaster. Did SFA except parrot rubbish about TSL clubs not being sustainable. Well FMD, I didn't need $250k pa to work that out! The first TSL failed from under resourcing. Its doing the same again. He then got a plumb job on BIG$$$ at AFL HQ via his 'family'. Promoted for failure!!!

The clubs invest time & effort but get nothing back. Clubs cant live on SFA. Being expected to develop players to a standard takes some resources & access to the right level of coaching.

Anyway.

'Harm' is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Local coach of Lauderdale Darren Winter recently reminded everyone of just what happened last time we went through this VFL/U18 thing. Kids get taken out of club culture & put into the u18/VFL program & often didn't go back. Lost to the club & lost to the club culture. Either they went to try NEAFL, VFL, SANFL or played some bush footy or nothing at all. Stopped playing.

In the end the 'program' failed. We went back to a state league. Under resourced again, so guess what. Its struggling to do what its expected to do. Clubs have left.

Don't you think the AFL/AFLTas employees would listen, think & learn?? They recon they're the experts on all things footy. But how many have actually been in an actual footy club? Interacted with local families/sponsors/communities?

The last AFLTas CEO was a complete disaster. Did SFA except parrot rubbish about TSL clubs not being sustainable. Well FMD, I didn't need $250k pa to work that out! The first TSL failed from under resourcing. Its doing the same again. He then got a plumb job on BIG$$$ at AFL HQ via his 'family'. Promoted for failure!!!

The clubs invest time & effort but get nothing back. Clubs cant live on SFA. Being expected to develop players to a standard takes some resources & access to the right level of coaching.

Anyway.

So just how many million do you think the AFL needs to spend in Tas before it's 'properly funded' in your eyes?

For reference, WAFC gets ~$2M/year and has 5 times the population and god knows how much more territory to cover.

So just how many million do you think the AFL needs to spend in Tas before it's 'properly funded' in your eyes?

For reference, WAFC gets ~$2M/year and has 5 times the population and god knows how much more territory to cover.

I thought it'd be obvious to the 2 of the AFLs most profitable clubs pay heaps to the WAFC who run the WAFL & development programs. All on top of the $2mil.

Whereas here the 2 FIFO clubs just take money back to Melbourne. They do very little else in comparison to AFL clubs & the AFL in other states for local state level football. That much I thought would be pretty obvious as well.

I thought it'd be obvious to the 2 of the AFLs most profitable clubs pay heaps to the WAFC who run the WAFL & development programs. All on top of the $2mil.

Whereas here the 2 FIFO clubs just take money back to Melbourne. They do very little else in comparison to AFL clubs & the AFL in other states for local state level football. That much I thought would be pretty obvious as well.

Hmm..

Tas authorities with access to economic data say those clubs/games put money into Tasmania.
madmug, who has no idea of economic data, says they take every cent and give nothing back.

Who to believe???

BTW. As always, you didn't answer the question. How much before you consider them adequately funded? I mean, surely if you're so sure it's lacking now, you have at least some idea what would be required....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Hall was drafted from Hobart not North Hobart.
Played a few junior games for NH as a kid because Hobart didn't have junior teams, went onto play senior TSL football with Hobart where he was drafted from with the help of a Youtube highlights package produced by local sports company, Duff TV.
His father, Dale, played in two premierships with Hobart (1990 TFL and 1999 SFL), and was drafted to the Sydney Swans in the early 1990s.

In fairness that's a very weak side, not really competitive with any other SoO list.
Absolutely correct. And a lot of those will likely end up delisted and be back playing either VFL or amateur football after that.
Very few bother to come back to Tasmania with the current state of the sport in the state, and also the lack of money.
When you have a so-called State League with a paltry $80,000 salary cap for each team, it's a waste of time.
Consider that the original TFL had a cap of $202,500 thirty years ago ($480,000 in today's money).
Problem is, football outside the state league is of a disgraceful standard so getting rid of it isn't an option.

Following on from the NSW and Qld AFL player threads, here's the one for Tasmania for those interested. This is increase from the 24 I listed in 2008, so maybe things haven't been quite so disastrous for Tassie as some have indicated. See what sort of team you can make up with this (though it really couldn't compete with NSW but might give Queensland a problem or 2). As usual, please let me know of any errors/omissions -

Tasmanian AFL Players

1 Hugh Greewood Adel Lauderdale (Hobart)

2 Chayse Jones Adel Launceston

3 Mitch Robinson Bris Lauderdale (Hobart)

4 Liam Jones Carl North Hobart

5 Andrew Phillips Carl Lauderdale (Hobart)

6 Levi Casboult Carl Beaconsfield

7 Jeremy Howe Coll Dodges Ferry/Hobart

8 Brody Mihocek Coll Burnie

9 Tom Bellchambers Ess North Launceston

10 Hugh Dixon Fre Kingborough (Hobart)

11 Alex Pearce Fre Ulverstone/Launceston

12 Jake Kolodjashnij Gee Prospect (Launceston)

13 Lachie Weller GCS Burnie

14 Grant Birchall Haw Devonport

15 Tim Mohr Haw Launceston

16 Kade Kolodjashnij Mel Prospect (Launceston)

17 Jay Lockhart Mel North Launceston

18 Tarryn Thomas NM North Launceston

19 Aaron Hall NM North Hobart

20 Ben Brown NM Devonport

21 Jack Riewoldt Rich Clarence (Hobart)

22 Maverick Weller Rich Burnie

23 Toby Nankervis Rich George Town (north coast)

24 Fraser Turner Rich Clarence (Hobart)

25 Jimmy Webster StK Glenorchy (Hobart)

26 Jackson Thurlow Syd Launceston

27 Robbie Fox Syd Burnie

28 Ryan Gardner WB Burnie

Wow!

28 players out of 702 (3.9%)

Just 2 All Australians

They really do deserve their own team in the AFL :$

Hmm..

Tas authorities with access to economic data say those clubs/games put money into Tasmania.
madmug, who has no idea of economic data, says they take every cent and give nothing back.

Who to believe???

BTW. As always, you didn't answer the question. How much before you consider them adequately funded? I mean, surely if you're so sure it's lacking now, you have at least some idea what would be required....

Generating economic benefit to Tasmania is a totally different argument as to whats happening at the funding of football level. The economic heads can argue the value of FIFO clubs Versus out own local club on the value to the local economy. Thats not what I was alluding to in this thread.

As I said, the AFL clubs in WA put money directly into the WAFC. That does not happen here. The AFL clubs FIFO. Take Government money, attendance money, sponsorship money. Fine. They generate money into all sorts of areas, accommodation, food, petrol whatever tourist activities do. BUT, they DO NOT contribute to Tasmanian football in any way like happens in WA, SA, Qld, NSW. The AFL itself puts in some $2mill, most of which is wages & some trickle down to elite programs. The now only 7 TSL clubs now get just over $100k which really doesn't make up for whats needed to be a State league of any value to players/community/for Media attention.

Adequately funded is clearly not happening. 2 clubs have left already. Its not just money to run a State league. To be a relevant competition the clubs need to have the ability to attract AFL type development coaches, attract & retain the best local players, suitably qualified fitness coaches, Physio's, quality training/gym facilities. The coaching lift would filter down to local clubs & juniors.

The league has been so devalued over 20 years the media & public need to be re-engaged. Attracting supporters sponsors back, volunteers etc.

Much of this happened back in the day when clubs could do this. Before FIFO clubs, before the dominance of the AFL via TV etc.

I still believe the cost would be much less than the cost of running & flying VFL/U18 teams all over the place. Thats about 70 people each week in & out of the state. Plus salaries. Have to have real costs closer to $3-4mil. Increasing the money to TSL clubs by double the current wouldn't put a dent on that. Plus the money benefits community clubs, administrators, airlines & hotel chains.

The ability to attract the next level & coaching, & retain out best players is paramount. Right now all we do is provide players to AFL, NEAFL & VFL. The latter 2 survive on huge AFL funding. Using that to pilfer the TSL is pathetic.

The best coaches/equipment/programs will (and should) be in the areas that will benefit the most kids, and that means Melbourne/Perth/Adelaide rather than Bairnsdale/Albany/Mt Gambier/Launceston.

Boarding schools in the traditional States do a power of good, its just one of the under the radar benefits the traditional States have over NSW & Q.
Earlier this year in WA Jeremy Sharp chose school footy over League footy at East Freo, went ALL AUS 1917/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back