Delisted #28: Alastair Lord - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

You do have to laugh at "we think he could play someplace else" though
It would be funnier if they were picking a skinny winger and saying he could play midfield, since the skillsets are different and not necessarily in evidence.

A half back flanker and a forward pocket have similar key attributes so should be reasonably interchangeable (and history suggests that to be true).

It would be funnier if they were picking a skinny winger and saying he could play midfield, since the skillsets are different and not necessarily in evidence.

A half back flanker and a forward pocket have similar key attributes so should be reasonably interchangeable (and history suggests that to be true).
I think winger to midfield would be infuriating. I can have a chuckle at this one. People have brought up Orazio, who i thought would make a great back early on. Walla another.

Rawlings was his coach at Norwood. Cliffs:
  • Could play straight away
  • Clean ball handling, capacity to carry it and change direction
  • Had a setback with a broken leg but his attitude to rehab it and get back to play for Norwood and the state team before the end of the year was good.

He'll make it as a midfielder, he's outside the cursed 183-186cm range.

Don't know much about the SA boys beyond the 1st rounders and Draper. The strengths on his profile make great reading, the weaknesses can be overcome with work and attitude.
He has the be
There are plenty of comparisons here to Hind at one end and Fantasia at the other. It's clear that he can run and carry and he's agile. Anyone know if he can kick though?
On both sides of his body, accurately and long.

Hind, McKenna. If you’re quick, agile and a decent kick you can do either role.
Except neither Hind nor McKenna have done anything of note as a forward.

Any quality small forward will have the capacity to be a good rebounding defender. Assuming their disposal by foot is good enough, which normally it is to be a quality small forward.

But it doesn't necessarily go the other way. Forward is a harder role. Some defenders will absolutely struggle playing forward.
Same can be said for key defenders/forwards.

Except neither Hind nor McKenna have done anything of note as a forward.

Any quality small forward will have the capacity to be a good rebounding defender. Assuming their disposal by foot is good enough, which normally it is to be a quality small forward.

But it doesn't necessarily go the other way. Forward is a harder role. Some defenders will absolutely struggle playing forward.
Same can be said for key defenders/forwards.
Interesting bump. Did you read all of the comments in the quote chain? It’s hardly unprecedented for a player to be chosen for their flexibility to play in multiple roles, even if they’re not superstars in all of them.

Half back and small forward is a fairly common combination, with Walla, Fantasia, Hind and McKenna all having played both roles during their careers in recent years (Walla and Fantasia were mentioned in the post I was replying to, so I was adding to that).

Kid picked in the 40s is hardly having the hopes and dreams of the entire club placed on his shoulders, just has to be serviceable. If he plays fifty games he’ll be bang on average for the pick. If he plays a few games as a small forward and a spot opens at half back, so be it. Won’t kill him to add a string to his bow in the mean time.

Interesting bump. Did you read all of the comments in the quote chain? It’s hardly unprecedented for a player to be chosen for their flexibility to play in multiple roles, even if they’re not superstars in all of them.

Half back and small forward is a fairly common combination, with Walla, Fantasia, Hind and McKenna all having played both roles during their careers in recent years (Walla and Fantasia were mentioned in the post I was replying to, so I was adding to that).

Kid picked in the 40s is hardly having the hopes and dreams of the entire club placed on his shoulders, just has to be serviceable. If he plays fifty games he’ll be bang on average for the pick. If he plays a few games as a small forward and a spot opens at half back, so be it. Won’t kill him to add a string to his bow in the mean time.
You said if you're quick agile and a good kick, you can do both. I'm saying, there's more to it.

Walla and Fanta could. McKenna and Hind have not been able to.
We'll see what comes of Lord.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said if you're quick agile and a good kick, you can do both. I'm saying, there's more to it.

Walla and Fanta could. McKenna and Hind have not been able to.
We'll see what comes of Lord.
McKenna did not really get a decent shot at it . The year he trained as a forward was 2020 and things went to crap that year .
Hind played some decent footy as a half forward but is simply a better half back .
Raz and Walla played the attacking side of half back well but their close defence work was average at best.

McKenna did not really get a decent shot at it . The year he trained as a forward was 2020 and things went to crap that year .
Hind played some decent footy as a half forward but is simply a better half back .
Raz and Walla played the attacking side of half back well but their close defence work was average at best.
Doesn't contradict anything I said.

McKenna also started as a forward. Regardless, I said McKenna and Hind have done nothing of note. What part of this do you disagree with?

Re Raz and Walla, and other small forwards, hence why I said they can play a rebounding role.

Great athleticism, racked up the footy when he played down back and they reckon his disposal is his biggest strength. Jeez he’s screaming another Fantasia like pickup. Fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back