Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen - SA - Mid/Utility - 18yo - 189cm

This strong bodied tall inside mid shows a resemblance at times to a blue collar GOODES and Josh KENNEDY. He's very hard at the ball, tackles well, plays his best at stoppages and has clean hands. It's those same clean hands that give him an edge in aerial contests around the ground, using his length, big hands and solid leap. His hands at stoppages are his selling point, he's creative with them and can release others. When at the stoppages, he's very hard to take down. He has good balance with the ball at clearances and tends to 'bounce' off players, spinning like a whirling dervish until clearing the ball.

His kicking is nice and long, but it isn't his calling card. Can tend to be a little loopy and isn't exactly the most accurate shoe in the comp right now. Action needs a little work, but isn't horrid. He'll need to up his endurance to get to AFL level as at the moment it isn't that great. He scored a surprisingly low agility score and clocked just over 3 seconds for the 20 meter, but interestingly enough was in the top 25% in the repeat sprints.....very intriguing seeing as his sprints and endurance were average. HAs that nice mid length repeats you like to see in your forwwards.

If he can get his tank up and control his kicking, a Josh KENNEDY type would be handy in the middle around clearances, but he has a long way to go yet. Regardless, he displays some very nice attributes in his game which can be worked on.

Already 91kg and 189cm!!:eek:
Puppy fat

Know very little about him, but Brenton Phillips said he would have been a worthy first round pick, so obviously he is highly rated in SA. Will take time though apparently, but his size already has him in good stead.:thumbsu: Another local lad is a plus too.

Has been compared to Adam Goodes. Far too early to tell if he has what it takes to make it at the next level, real project that could result in a big reward if he develops well.

Already 91kg and 189cm!!:eek: Know very little about him, but Brenton Phillips said he would have been a worthy first round pick, so obviously he is highly rated in SA. Will take time though apparently, but his size already has him in good stead.:thumbsu: Another local lad is a plus too.
:eek::( yay......... Just what we need, someone to ditch the club when Tas19 comes in ;)

I heard that Brenton Phillips interview too. Was absolutely glowing in regards to this guy.

Apparently did his knee at 16 and took a bit of time to get everything right again (in terms of form/fitness I mean - not structurally) but in the last 6 months has hit his straps again. Perhaps slipped under the radar as a result.

Great result. Even though it is a 'national' competition there is still room for some local knowledge here and there.

I heard that Brenton Phillips interview too. Was absolutely glowing in regards to this guy.

Apparently did his knee at 16 and took a bit of time to get everything right again (in terms of form/fitness I mean - not structurally) but in the last 6 months has hit his straps again. Perhaps slipped under the radar as a result.

Great result. Even though it is a 'national' competition there is still room for some local knowledge here and there.

:thumbsu::

Pick 64: Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
Rendell says: "He missed the whole of the previous year with a knee reconstruction and then played with Woodville-West Torrens again, starred in the under 18s and had stacks of possessions. He was really good as a midfielder, and then he ended up playing reserves in the last six games of the year and played really well there. He's half Papua New Guinean, half Aboriginal, he's been brought up for the last nine years by his grandmother but he's still close to his mother, and he's quiet and shy, but he plays footy tough. He's a big body and played mainly in defence for his junior career but he looks like a natural midfielder to me."

Im crossing my fingers with this kid. If he is willing to work really hard he could be something special. Hopefully he gets back into the eagles senior squad and stays there all year. Apparently he's a good mark, so would like to see him roaming the halfback line in years to come. Will watch this space...

Pick 64: Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
Rendell says: "He missed the whole of the previous year with a knee reconstruction and then played with Woodville-West Torrens again, starred in the under 18s and had stacks of possessions. He was really good as a midfielder, and then he ended up playing reserves in the last six games of the year and played really well there. He's half Papua New Guinean, half Aboriginal, he's been brought up for the last nine years by his grandmother but he's still close to his mother, and he's quiet and shy, but he plays footy tough. He's a big body and played mainly in defence for his junior career but he looks like a natural midfielder to me."
Shades of Petrenko. Sub PNG for Ukranian and it's a similar background.

I reckon he'll do exactly what Adam Goodes does, but instead of CHF he'll go HFF, and he'll probably play more mid/wing that Goodes does. He'll obviously play all of his positions with less flair, brilliance and impact, but not many can compare to Goodes in those categories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he'll do exactly what Adam Goodes does, but instead of CHF he'll go HFF, and he'll probably play more mid/wing that Goodes does. He'll obviously play all of his positions with less flair, brilliance and impact, but not many can compare to Goodes in those categories.

This guy reminds me exactly of Michael Handby who we had on our list a while back and played with South adelaide after we cut him . Moves the same and is the same height wherby he is not tall enough for Key position but too tall for a mid, unless you are a Goodes but from his highlight he is a Handby not a Goodes

I absolutely love this kid, exceptionally clean hands, very strong body and doesn't get taken to ground, creative handballer of the ball, below average kick but I suspect he will improve it, when kicking within his limitations he is reliable. Can play forward. Lacks a turn of speed but has enough other tricks to make it at AFL level.

Apparently the Dark Side from Alberton had him on their list as well.

I like this approach in a shallow draft - why spend late picks on relatively known quantities in a shallow draft? A "potential first rounder if not for his injury" type selection could net us something above the curve. Worth a crack.

I like this approach in a shallow draft - why spend late picks on relatively known quantities in a shallow draft? A "potential first rounder if not for his injury" type selection could net us something above the curve. Worth a crack.

James Hird board;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back