Traded 28. Darcy Fort (2019 - 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Nickoo. With SavRat doing a bit of relief/back up Ruck? As Tomahawk did in Sav's absence?

Not sure Kitty but my favourite player after clarke this draft is Foot. Could easily see him first Ruck ‘19. But I have absolutely no idea except I really like the way he plays and he’s a local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't see it that way. We had a healthy Abbott and Smith to choose from at the end of the year and the club were happy enough with Abbott to extend his contract. You then don't go and draft a 25 year old in case of emergency when you have 3 other ruckman with genuine claims to play AFL.

I reckon we drafted Fort because we think he's a better option and an improvement on the other 3 we have on our list. Our clearance numbers were poor last year because we had nobody consistently getting first hands on the ball at the bounces. Our midfield struggles because of it. We now have a 205cm giant who can give our midfield first use.

If he's not in our round 1 team and he's fit I'll be surprised.

I agree with this. I think all of our ruckman have question marks over them. Smith is competitive enough, stanley is he consistent enough and Abott is he tall enough? Happy for this guy to be given a crack at making the role his own. One thing is for sure he wouldn't be coming in like a Preuss and knowing he would be very unlikely to get the top job. He would surely be thinking play well early and it is mine.

They didn't adjust to situations or extract well enough imo.

Yeah I agree with this but I think it is very difficult to retrain natural ball winners who have dominated for their entire careers to change at this stage. The mix we had in there this year was probably wrong and the coaches too too long to remedy this but there is no doubt they would look better with a good tap ruckman. Just suits their style a lot more I reckon.

You don't draft a 25 year old ruckman after re-signing two of the others for a further two years if you don't think he can become the number 1 ruckman next year.
Stanley and Abbott - especially given that Stanley is so injury-prone - isn't enough. I don't think Smith will be around for long, though I don't know who he's shagged in order to be so far on the outer.

Not sure Kitty but my favourite player after clarke this draft is Foot. Could easily see him first Ruck ‘19. But I have absolutely no idea except I really like the way he plays and he’s a local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

:hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:

I'm thrilled to have a 25 yo, who is developing + a future Ruck for us. Especially after this Season with Stanley + Smith's injuries. While we still need an experienced Ruck (or two), I'm pleased we have two in Abbott + now Fort for the future.

BTW Fort's nickname is 'Plow' lol

I agree with this. I think all of our ruckman have question marks over them. Smith is competitive enough, stanley is he consistent enough and Abott is he tall enough? Happy for this guy to be given a crack at making the role his own. One thing is for sure he wouldn't be coming in like a Preuss and knowing he would be very unlikely to get the top job. He would surely be thinking play well early and it is mine.

Abbott is 200cm so yes, he is tall enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:

I'm thrilled to have a 25 yo, who is developing + a future Ruck for us. Especially after this Season with Stanley + Smith's injuries. While we still need an experienced Ruck (or two), I'm pleased we have two in Abbott + now Fort for the future.

BTW Fort's nickname is 'Plow' lol

That name again is....

download.jpg

You don't draft a 25 year old ruckman after re-signing two of the others for a further two years if you don't think he can become the number 1 ruckman next year. Especially after Wells said pre-trade period that he was happy with our ruck stocks.

I reckon the club sees him as an improvement on Stanley, Abbott and Smith and we'll see him play next year.
Personally I think its more a matter of having no confidence in Stanley's body.

"Inspiration behind Cats’ mature-age ruck draftee Darcy Fort
"THE national draft’s oldest recruit says the success of mature-aged ruckmen Ryan Abbott and Orren Stephenson inspired him to keep chasing his dream.
“After three years there I knew I could go forward and kick goals and take big marks. I was inspired by Orren Stephenson because I had rucked against him when he came into the AFL as a 29-year-old and he towelled me up a couple of times. It always gave me hope there was plenty of time to make it.”
https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...t/news-story/6b8e309560783a0241a797b54cc6d21f

Played his first year with Geelong Falcons when he was 19.

Given the new 6-6-6 rule, a quality tap ruck man to our midfield should yield results....it seems one of Fort's strengths.

And in the near future, it will cover a player like Kelly leaving. Everyone waxes lyrically about a great midfield, but a midfield is only as good as it's ruckman. A ruckman who gives the team consistent first use of the ball dictates the play. Our players can attack instead of defend or be in two minds. Kelly or anyone who can run the ball out of congestion looks wonderful, but he's often doing it against the play and has relied on another Cat's mid sharking the ball or it spilling to him. A player of lesser outside capability will shine as much as Kelly if they are confident that the ball is landing in their zone or going to be fed out to them regularly. That being said, Kelly will do even better in this situation because his reaction, movement and evasiveness is elite.

I still remember that patch of form Dawson Simpson had (2013?) where our players almost didn't know what to do when he was banging it forward at every ruck contest.

Let's just hope that this area of our team picks up significantly this year. Everyone, and I mean everyone (players, coaches, supporters) know that this is the missing link for this team and has been for a number of year. In my opinion, if Joel, Paddy and Hawk miss out on premierships before they retire, they can pretty much blame not having a decent ruck for this outcome.

Ohh well that's what the wikipedia says so I dunno how i got my wires crossed there hmm...

I have watched too much footy to ever think that Carey was the same proportions as Tom Hawkins.

I have watched too much footy to ever think that Carey was the same proportions as Tom Hawkins.
I must be losing my mind, I don't normally make mistakes like that. I must have been referring to Tom Boyd's specs in comparison with Tomahawk.

And in the near future, it will cover a player like Kelly leaving. Everyone waxes lyrically about a great midfield, but a midfield is only as good as it's ruckman. A ruckman who gives the team consistent first use of the ball dictates the play. Our players can attack instead of defend or be in two minds. Kelly or anyone who can run the ball out of congestion looks wonderful, but he's often doing it against the play and has relied on another Cat's mid sharking the ball or it spilling to him. A player of lesser outside capability will shine as much as Kelly if they are confident that the ball is landing in their zone or going to be fed out to them regularly. That being said, Kelly will do even better in this situation because his reaction, movement and evasiveness is elite.

I still remember that patch of form Dawson Simpson had (2013?) where our players almost didn't know what to do when he was banging it forward at every ruck contest.

Let's just hope that this area of our team picks up significantly this year. Everyone, and I mean everyone (players, coaches, supporters) know that this is the missing link for this team and has been for a number of year. In my opinion, if Joel, Paddy and Hawk miss out on premierships before they retire, they can pretty much blame not having a decent ruck for this outcome.
I remember that patch of 6 weeks too. Selwood went berserk off the back of his dominance if I recall.

I remember that patch of 6 weeks too. Selwood went berserk off the back of his dominance if I recall.

Selwood’s 2nd half of 2013 was absolutely ridiculous how good he was. Even after Simpson’s injury he still had a couple games in a row where he got the usual 25-30 touches but then kicked 4 goals in each of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back