Senior 28. David Cuningham

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a real shame we’ve seen so little of him, but if someone randomly showed that footage and said ‘this bloke has only played 40 games’ (never mind that a lot of it was in a dysfunctional forward line), you’d think sky’s the limit (which is how I really feel about Cunners). Genuine superstar quality and I hope like hell he gets a good run at it.

I think 1 year is the equivalent of 7 years in Cuningham years.

:p

Looking forward to seeing Cuners at work in the new regime. With some clear instructions and role, Dave can shine. We need his attributes and skills to complement what's been built this year.

Really happy we haven’t given up on him and just delisted him. Just praying he can stay injury free and can have a year like Jamie Elliot has had with the Pies this year

Him and Setterfield are the two I really think can play but for some reason (well injury for Cuningham) they just haven't unlocked their potential. Hoping for big things next year.

Was that signed in the Rehabilitation Room.

ll9esyg12jo81.gif

I think 1 year is the equivalent of 7 years in Cuningham years.

Agree Cuningham has real talent, a quality footballer and let’s hope Cunners, Marchy & Gov too get to play football at the level we’ve seen they are able to.
Plenty of our problems would be solved instantly and we’d be playing deep into September.

I'd like to see him take a HF role with short chop outs through the middle, perhaps rotating with Kennedy. Hopefully still has his pace and he can find the goals.

In an ideal world I'd like Honey on the other flank with both boys having good pace, can lay a tackle and can find the big sticks. Just hope Honey gets a good run at it in the pre season and impresses whoever he needs to.

Some heavier bodies with speed at HF would be a leg up for the team, both just have to stay on the ******* park.

EDIT:

Just watched his highlights, actually a lovely kick off both feet ..... sweeeeet.

Will be interesting to see how Voss uses him if and when he gets fit enough to play. Another who wasn't used well under previous coaches - but at the same time, when given a chance in better roles, he like a few others, need to grab their chance and have more influence and not fade in and out of games/quarters

I reckon he is as clean as anyone at the club when the ball is below the knees and running at pace

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunningham is a CLASS ABOVE anyone in the current forward line - except for Charlie and Harry at their best= fantastic news that he is considered on the mend enough to give a year of "show us" - just fantastic news.

He's going to need time to come back, these guys who get injured while still developing come back still developing. He'll probably play a fair bit of wing and that's a position some players need to get games into to get the fitness and develop the smarts for the position.

I'm thinking he will fit in pretty well with the team we have. He's got a strong body, he's athletic and skilled. If we can't get him to make it on a wing, I bet we can as a running defender off half back or perhaps a half forward.

Been an outside player in a poor side, never been an outside player in a side with plenty of good inside players.

This makes complete sense and will be the biggest benefit for him. Look out with David on the end of handballs…

Considering how well he did with the poor midfield he has only played with then yes. I wonder what the plan with him is.

Took way longer to get right than he should have, no football in 2022. Perhaps it was all about fitness and getting him right for playing wing.

The thing I like about this guy is that he finishes. We have so many players who get out in space and miss their target or the goal, he doesn't, he adds another player to our team who takes their opportunities. It really really sucks he didn't get a chance to play in that midfield of ours this year. He would have played all the games Cottrell played and more.

If he doesn't play wing I would think it would be on a flank at one end or another.

Guys who can run and kick are going to get a role in Voss' team unless they are poor competitors at the contest. I think Voss will want him in the side

Last edited:
It is off-season ( again) so I understand the positives about people contributing their random thoughts here are mine re David Cuningham.

Lets go through the recent history of class players who have either played injured or been injured and come back

1. Cripps 2021 - his body is done - trade him ....LOL
2. McGovern - brackets is fat unfit and a total waste - comes back and kills it
3. Marchbank trade him out- comes back (twice this year) kills it
4. Kennedy - what a slow plodder - gets over his LT injuries and is able to actually get fit- kills it - despite playing half the year injured with a groin injury
5. Charlie - he will never be the player he was trade him - comes back - wins Coleman medal LOL

here is my prediction:

if Cuningham can come back fit- he will be a top10 player at Carlton - EASY...

to win a flag or two your window is your class players at the peak of their physical capability - which varies between 24- 27 depending on the individual - the bigger usually the older they have to be

SO (bonus comment) to all the TDK baggers- he is a baby playing in ruck and absolutely outperforming any expectations anyone should have had on him.

ALL these blokes are just entering peak physical capability - with a good 3-5 years left in them - TDK / Charlie/ Harry have 6+ years of top form ahead of them.

I may move back to Melbum to get to more matches- all this sun/surf and chicas across the road has got boring and the golf course are better down there.

GO BLUES and GO David Cuninghham.

DAVID Cuningham will play his first AFL game in over two years this Sunday.

After knee, calf and shoulder injuries, Cuningham will feature again after last pulling on the Navy Blue in Round 9, 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back