#28 Harvey Thomas (Pick 59, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Harvey Thomas​

Height: 176cm
Weight: 69kg
D.O.B: 08-08-2005

Harvey Thomas.png

What National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso says: “Another success story from the GIANTS Academy, Harvey is an elite runner and showed he could play multiple roles this year, but we see him settling more ahead of the ball.”

STRENGTHS:

• Decision making
  • Endurance
  • Short-range skills
  • Versatility

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Size
  • Speed

Representing five sides across the season - Wesley College, Oakleigh Chargers, GWS Academy, GWS VFL and the Allies - Harvey Thomas has done remarkably well to compile consistent performances considering the constant changes of environment he has endured. To go along with the chopping and changing of teams, Thomas has been deployed in each third of the ground at various points this year; playing as a midfielder for the Giants Academy, in defence for the Allies, and just about everywhere with the Chargers.

Thomas has well and truly demonstrated his versatility and ability to impact across all roles. Among his top performances, he accumulated 30 disposals and laid 17 tackles for GWS against Northern in Round 1, and ended the Talent League home-and-away season with four goals from 21 disposals against Sandringham in Oakleigh colours. There’s clearly quite a bit to like about Thomas heading into the AFL level, however his size does remain a concern, and he'd arguably like to be a bit quicker or more penetrative as a small. Though, he generally makes brilliant decisions, albeit if slightly dependant on his favoured left side.

Opening round debut for young Harvey!

HT debut.png

The GIANTS have named their team for Opening Round, with draftee Harvey Thomas set to make his AFL debut.

The GIANTS Academy product was taken with pick 59 in the 2023 AFL Draft and has been quick to make the most of his opportunities to impress and earn selection in Adam Kingsley’s first team of the season.

A smooth-moving left-footer capable of playing across all three lines, the 176cm dynamo has quickly found a home across half-forward.

Last edited:

Another Harvey Thomas story after his debut game:

OF ALL the AFL teams for a late 2023 draft pick to break into for Opening Round, Greater Western Sydney may just have been the most unlikely of the lot. With a star-studded, flag-focused line-up at the Giants, none of their newest crop of draftees were given much hope of securing a spot in the side for their opener. And that's made small forward Harvey Thomas' achievement in doing so even more impressive.

Taken at pick 59 in last year's draft, the Giants Academy product was the epitome of a pre-season bolter for the win over Collingwood, contributing three goal assists from his nine disposals on debut. "It's been awesome, I've been around the club for the last few years and then to debut in front of a sold-out home crowd in Sydney, I couldn't ask for much more for the start of the season," Thomas told AFL.com.au. "I think overall I was really happy with how I was able to execute my role. I think hopefully as I get more game time, I can learn to bring my own game to the team as well."

It can't be denied that injuries at the Giants to key players such as Finn Callaghan, Isaac Cumming, Harry Perryman and even speedy youngster Darcy Jones – who was looming for an Opening Round debut himself – enhanced Thomas' chances of selection against Collingwood. But to list merely that as a reason would be selling the diminutive Thomas short. The 18-year-old's talents are underlined by taking out Caulfield Grammar's best and fairest award last year in a team that included Hawthorn's No.5 draft pick Nick Watson.

And the signs were strong from a standout match simulation performance against the Swans that there should be no doubting Thomas' chances of an early-season debut. "Adam (Kingsley, coach) said, 'You're playing for a reason. We wouldn't have picked you if we didn't think you were ready'," Thomas said.

more in the full story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back