Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

I must have watched a different game, Just about every time i seen him kick the ball he turned it over , I would drop him this week

Maybe i should watch the game a 2nd time

He was very good around the middle in the last but i agree with you for the first 3/4 he was pretty ordinary by foot, a bit better by hand.

His decision making with the ball is very poor at this stage, I think a run in the magoos wouldn't be amiss to start working on these issues. I reckon a few of our players like BEllis, Castagna, Short and even Rioli so far have benefitted from a go in the twos and come back better players.

First year player who is not a great kick, plenty of them. Fatigue and young body playing midfield/forward with the amount of running etc will spray kicks occasionally. Will obviously never be an elite kick but the Lambert, Prestia type kick in time. Lacks speed but is smart and tough and pretty agile. Probably could do with a rest.

There are two things about skill, decision making and actual execution.

You watch him on a few occasions in the Seniors, and even the early part of the season when he was in the 2’s his disposal was pretty good. In the TAC Cup last year, from what I’ve seen (and I’m far from a scout) is that his disposal was very good.

IMO it’s his decision making which is his biggest issue. I watch him and sometimes I think either the game moves too fast for him at this stage, or he is making a decision to quickly - expecting the game to be fast.

Either way, time in the 2’s would help, but ultimately it’ll come down to experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have watched a different game, Just about every time i seen him kick the ball he turned it over , I would drop him this week

Maybe i should watch the game a 2nd time
Thought I heard on radio his kicking eff for the game was 0% , I can see the club is investing in him to be ready to go if an injury was to occur in biz end of year . For mine Stengle has every bit as much ability and I’d like to see what he does with his chances

Seriously, We are 10-3 sitting top of the ladder at the half way mark and this kid is coming along nicely.
Yes he is not perfect yet, but his development in the 1's is great.
People expect our kids to come in and be world beaters from day dot, and it just doesn't happen, Chris Judd is the only one in the last 25 years to be able to do that.
The fact the club trust him to play serious minutes in the middle in the last qrt against the holy trinity when the game is in the balance suggests he is doing what the coaches want of him.

That’s fair enough However I think more so we’d love to see the opportunities spread around some
So potentially drop a kid for doing everything he is being told to do for no other reason than to give another kid a go?
That potentially changes the mindset of those in the VFL that they don't have to bang the door down because they will get a go anyway...?

Never seen a first year player been gifted so many games. Goes hard at the ball but I'm not seeing any standout attributes at this stage. Should go back to the twos for a spell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back