Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole issue with the Rising Star is that they always say "don't worry, their turn will come" when a young player plays their one really good game and gets a nod before the most consistent new player. Well, what happens if a player gets injured after having a really solid body of work like Josh, or never has that one standout game? They get overlooked.
Do the selectors then panic at years end and give a player their nomination when they have played an average game?

The whole issue with the Rising Star is that they always say "don't worry, their turn will come" when a young player plays their one really good game and gets a nod before the most consistent new player. Well, what happens if a player gets injured after having a really solid body of work like Josh, or never has that one standout game? They get overlooked.
Do the selectors then panic at years end and give a player their nomination when they have played an average game?
Yep. Its a ridiculous way of doing it really but at the end of the day who gives a *. We have an absolute GEM on our hands with Josh.

Starting in defense
Balta forward
They prob swap last quarter again
Yep, if we can get enough looks inside fwd 50, the blues 3rd string tall backs should get reamed, emphasis on SHOULD.

Yep. Its a ridiculous way of doing it really but at the end of the day who gives a *. We have an absolute GEM on our hands with Josh.

I would only care if there was some contractual incentive to a nomination, because if there is he absolutely deserves it as one of the best first year players.

I would only care if there was some contractual incentive to a nomination, because if there is he absolutely deserves it as one of the best first year players.
Yeah, isn't it only worth 20 grand, or something nominal like that? Gibcus' next contract will be worth more than $100k/year higher than the likes of Jeffrey, Durdin, Walker, Bowey etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't kill a couple of crucial spoils over the line last night that resulted in goals. Did well on Silvagni when he was forward though.
Being very picky here - I notice the last couple of weeks he's been going for the 'Big, Dramatic Fist' which looks great (maybe that's just his style), but I think he could still learn the techniques for a safe spoil. A couple of weeks ago in the last quarter, he went for the big fly and punch - but directed it back into the corridor where a Swans player picked it up straight in front. The classic Malcolm Blight 'Spoiling with the wrong hand'.
Last night in the last quarter, he went again for a huge swipe and punch - mistimed it and just got a weak touch on the ball which led to the Mackay goal in the goal square. A straight fist instead of a big swing would probably have put the ball out of play.

As I said - being very picky, but I do think there is a right/wrong way to spoil in any situation and he's got a couple wrong. It's like he's a young kid still learning his craft! (He's going to be very very good - as opposed to just good which he is now).

Yeah, isn't it only worth 20 grand, or something nominal like that? Gibcus' next contract will be worth more than $100k/year higher than the likes of Jeffrey, Durdin, Walker, Bowey etc.

I think that's for the winner - I was more thinking if there's some kind of contract incentive, similar to how players will have in their contract $X for Top 5 BnF, or Top 10 Brownlow etc. (I think).

Being very picky here - I notice the last couple of weeks he's been going for the 'Big, Dramatic Fist' which looks great (maybe that's just his style), but I think he could still learn the techniques for a safe spoil. A couple of weeks ago in the last quarter, he went for the big fly and punch - but directed it back into the corridor where a Swans player picked it up straight in front. The classic Malcolm Blight 'Spoiling with the wrong hand'.
Last night in the last quarter, he went again for a huge swipe and punch - mistimed it and just got a weak touch on the ball which led to the Mackay goal in the goal square. A straight fist instead of a big swing would probably have put the ball out of play.

As I said - being very picky, but I do think there is a right/wrong way to spoil in any situation and he's got a couple wrong. It's like he's a young kid still learning his craft! (He's going to be very very good - as opposed to just good which he is now).
Reckon this could be slightly due to a lack of strength. As he builds muscle he'll be more confident going for the standard spoil rather than the big swinging fist. Possibly that contested mark Buddy took where he got his fist to it but couldn't prevent the mark has led him in this direction for now

Cost us a lot of goals last night (3 I can think of) where he went to the contest, didn’t quite make it an impact and his man stayed down and was the loose man either kicking the goal or setting it up. Also the punch back into play when he was on the line was no good.

He’s young and will get better at this but it definitely hurt us last night.

Cost us a lot of goals last night (3 I can think of) where he went to the contest, didn’t quite make it an impact and his man stayed down and was the loose man either kicking the goal or setting it up. Also the punch back into play when he was on the line was no good.

He’s young and will get better at this but it definitely hurt us last night.
Still a better apprenticeship than knocking around suburban grounds in the VFL. If only we could somehow get some senior matches into Cumberland, Dow, Sonsie etc we'd be just as excited.

With Hobbs getting the rising star nomination this week do you think it was a good decision to take Gibcus over him? I think Gibcus will turn out better but Hobbs is looking like he is going to be a great mid which we need as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back